Diluting Grapefruit Seed Extract

priscillae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've purchased a bottle of Citricidex Grapefruit Seed Extract to treat a foster feral for URI. (Already gone through 3 rounds of antibiotics. At this time he is sneezing occasionally.)

Does anyone know how to dilute this beyond the instruction: 1 drop per 10 lbs of cat. (Since it's the concentrated extract I know it has to be diluted to a third of that).

It can't be given full strength so it has to be mixed with water. How much water?? Anyone had any experience/success using this particular brand?

Thanks so much. Priscilla

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put five drops in their Drinkwells every time I change out the water and clean it. It has kept the majority of icky bugs at bay for the kittens and helped the older cats as well. I swear by the stuff.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont want to hijack this thread but Id love to hear some more information about this..Like what its for what it helps prevent..Is this like cranberry juice for kitties...etc...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the foster been tested for herpes? Perhaps putting him on the amino acid supplement l-lysine may help. Not only does it control the herpes virus, it also helps boost the immune system.

The grapefruit extract is interesting, I'm going to ask my vet about it when I see her next.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Trust MA's (hissy's) judgement on this. She has turned a lot of us onto the value of Grapeseed Extract.
I want to clarify it's grapefruit seed extract, not grapeseed, right?

I'm not saying I don't trust hissy's advice. However, I would never use info such as this (giving an extract, or any new, unknown to me, supplement to my cats) without checking with my vet first.

Nor should anyone (but especially cats on medications).

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I want to clarify it's grapefruit seed extract, not grapeseed, right?

I'm not saying I don't trust hissy's advice. However, I would never use info such as this (giving an extract, or any new, unknown to me, supplement to my cats) without checking with my vet first.

Nor should anyone (but especially cats on medications).
You are right, I shortened the name in my mind.

And you are right about checking with your vet first. If you don't know the source of information that you get on the internet, then you should always do this. MA is one of the founders of this site, and some of us have just learned to trust her completely.