My mom just laughed at me

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was telling her that I wanted my stepdad to order something for me (he has $75 worth of Amazon.com certificates).

I told her not to laugh, but that I wanted to buy and learn to play a ukulele.

She laughed, I was dead serious, still am, I want to learn to play the uke.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see why that would be funny?
I hope you get one and enjoy playing it.

Now if you'd said you wanted someone to buy you a kazoo so you could join a kazoo band... then maybe a person would have something to chuckle about.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I think uke's sound really cool when they are played correctly.

I want to learn how to hula
I think once I'm done with this fall marathon in December, I'm going to sign up for hula lessons that are offered through my local rec center. I think my legs and core are a little stronger compared to the last time I tried it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ukes can be very cool.
A friend that once owned a vintage store in NYC has the coolest one ever. It is from the 1950s and even has the case and the old felt pick that it came with it. It has a great sound, too.
I think you should get one and enjoy it.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be a blast! I know a little hula and its so great! And such a great workout! My mom was born in Hawaii so I love anything involving the culture!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny Tim is well known in our household, but I think convincing my mother of my seriousness might be better accomplished by using George Harrison as an example

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well i think its great, Blaines cousin plays it, and also every christmas and family get togethers his cousin and cousins dad play dueling banjo's its amazing to listen to them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is Jake Shimabukuro if anyone would like to hear more of his stuff.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I don't even know what that is
Tiny Tim. Quite the flash in the pan at the time, on Laugh In and Smothers Brothers, I believe. Died a year or two ago.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Back in Washington we had neighbors from Guam and one of them played the ukulele very well.
There were many parties (crazy) at that house and the first time he busted it out I had a little chuckle as well.

They are silly instruments, but the music he played was upbeat and very entertaining and I never laughed again.

What made you decide to want to learn to play? Honnestly, I think they sound so cool that you dont even have to know how to play to make it sound good.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost bought one this week. I was in a thrift and antique store and they had one for $20. Its probably a good thing they didnt accept debit or I would have bought it! LOL!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are high-quality ukes, but as you say, you can buy them for $20 all the time.