TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › World's Best Cat Litter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

World's Best Cat Litter

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
So up until now I've been using whatever clay based litter has been cheapest. It's now time to buy litter again, and I thought, why not invest in something a little better for both my kitty and the environment? I'm thinking of trying World's Best Cat Litter, mainly because I have a coupon I do have a few questions though:

*I did a search of the forums and someone mentioned it was quite dusty. I have asthma and don't want something that will kick up lots of dust everytime Squeaky uses the facilities. How dusty is it? Anyone with asthma use it?

*How flushable is it really? I live in an apartment building and really really really don't want to clog the pipes

*How long does a 17 lb bag last? I scoop daily, and usually change it every month.

*How much trackage do you get? We have a mat in front of the box, but the clay stuff usually gets tracked a few feet beyond that.
post #2 of 18
I noticed that every cat litter has some type of dust issue with it and no matter what mat is at the end of the box I personally still manage to find cat little from their feet up stairs - quite far from the box

I never used the litter your referring to however, I am onto bio/hybrid litter these days. It smells like trees, low dust (but still dusty)and the cats seems to like it, it is clumpable but lite and fluffy.

Depending on how many cats you have is as far as the 17lbs. will last you. Litter flies out of my house with 4 cats, and I clean completely every 1.5 weeks.
post #3 of 18
I only tried this litter once, shortly after I got my first kitten, so I don't know how much help I can be. Poor Shareena refused to use it, even when I dumped her right in the litter box. She hopped out, turned around, and wiped her paws off on the edge of the litter box. After five hours I had to dig the old litter out of the dumpster for her. She was so anxious that she crawled into the plastic bag almost before I got it opened. I was very proud of her. She was only 8 weeks old and didn't have a single accident the whole time.

World's Best was kind of dusty when I poured it into the litter box, but at the time I was comparing it to Fresh Step (horrible dust and scent--I couldn't breathe), so it didn't seem so bad. I think compared to what I'm using now I would get very irritated.

I've read that the best way to deal with flushable litter is to let the clumps sit in the toilet for a few minutes until they start to disintegrate, then flush. If you flush immediately they will clog up the pipes.
post #4 of 18
I don't have dust problems with WBCL, and I certainly prefer its "corny" smell to the smell of perfumed clay litters. Any dust I get is in pouring it out, not when the cats use it.

There is some tracking right around the box itself, but I don't find that its very bad around the house.

I LOVE WBCL's odor control (at least given my own cats' diets and what not). The perfumed clay based litters just don't cover up ammonia smells from pee very well, IMO, which WBCL does well for me.

I don't flush it - I don't feel that cat waste should be in the human sewer system. But I used to with Swheat Scoop, and that wasn't a problem. It breaks down pretty well in water. Instead, I use biodegradable dog poop bags and just tie them up and throw them out as they fill up. I especially like that WBCL breaks down, unlike clay-based litters.

A bag lasts me a month or two at least even with three cats, so I don't have to spend too much money on litter, even if I do buy a more expensive litter.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much for the feedback. We've only had one litter box issue (which wasn't really a litter box issue, rather Squeaky is very afraid of the vaccum and wet herself the first time I vaccumed with her in the room, poor thing) and I really don't want to tempt fate, but I'm feeling a bit guilty about clay litter after doing research. Maybe I'll buy a small bag and mix it in with the clay litter slowly, to see if she'll get used to it.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahma View Post
*I did a search of the forums and someone mentioned it was quite dusty. I have asthma and don't want something that will kick up lots of dust everytime Squeaky uses the facilities. How dusty is it? Anyone with asthma use it?
I've found it to be *very* dusty. The corn is kind of "delicate" and crumbles easily making for a lot of dust. I'll sometimes find yellow paw prints on my bedspread and the cats have to go down a carpeted hallway and through the living room to get from the litter box to my bedroom.

Quote:
*How long does a 17 lb bag last? I scoop daily, and usually change it every month.
With 4 cats, 34 lbs lasts me about 4 weeks.

Quote:
*How much trackage do you get? We have a mat in front of the box, but the clay stuff usually gets tracked a few feet beyond that.
A lot. It is very light weight and gets kicked out of the box very easily even with my high sided boxes.

Odor control isn't very good either. That along with the dust and tracking have make me decide to go back to Dr. Elsey's clay litter. It really is completely dust free. A clay litter weights a lot more than a corn litter like WBCL so when considering a like volume, as opposed to a like weight, Dr. Elsey's doesn't actually cost a lot less than WBCL but given the other things I think I'll be happier with it.

Edit : I think the multi-cat WBCL may have better odor control than the original. I just recently tried WBCL again after not having used it for a while and was surprised at how much stink I can smell. I don't remember that from when I used it before but I think I may have used the multi-cat type before.
post #7 of 18
Just as an add, I use the multi-cat formula too.
post #8 of 18
We use WBCL, original formula and love it. We've had no problems with it flushing and we live in an older house with old plumbing. You do have to be careful to wipe the sides of the toilet bowl and seat for any splashing after flushing. It is dusty and it does track, but we usually have that problem when it's near time to change out the litter. We've not had any odor problems. If you have some kind of mat under your box, then the little kernels of corn are less likely to end up all over your house.

My DH has asthma and he's the one who usually cleans the boxes nightly. The only time he has any problems with it is when he's already having breathing problems. Then his asthma is easily set off by anything.

Whatever you do, add the new litter gradually to the old litter so you kitty won't freak out and stop using the box.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
I don't have dust problems with WBCL, and I certainly prefer its "corny" smell to the smell of perfumed clay litters. Any dust I get is in pouring it out, not when the cats use it.

There is some tracking right around the box itself, but I don't find that its very bad around the house.

I LOVE WBCL's odor control (at least given my own cats' diets and what not). The perfumed clay based litters just don't cover up ammonia smells from pee very well, IMO, which WBCL does well for me.

I don't flush it - I don't feel that cat waste should be in the human sewer system. But I used to with Swheat Scoop, and that wasn't a problem. It breaks down pretty well in water. Instead, I use biodegradable dog poop bags and just tie them up and throw them out as they fill up. I especially like that WBCL breaks down, unlike clay-based litters.
A bag lasts me a month or two at least even with three cats, so I don't have to spend too much money on litter, even if I do buy a more expensive litter.
I've tried them all and love WBCL for multiple cats. I have 2 covered boxes which I scoop every night and clean out completely about every 6 weeks. No odor at all and the litter boxes are in the bedrooms at the bottom of the bed. I find it less dusty than any other litter I've ever used.

I do not like clay litters at all, especially for young kittens. If they inhale the dust or ingest the litter it can clump in their lungs or stomach/intestines.
post #10 of 18
For me,

PROs
  • it is light-weight as compared with most clumping clay litters. This matters to me when I'm bringing the bags home from the store and also when I do a complete dump-and-clean of the boxes
  • the odor control seems very good to me (I mix the "multiple cat" formula with the "regular" formula)
  • I prefer the WBCL scent (kind of corn-y) to the scent of most other litters
  • I feel as though it lasts longer than clumping clays
CONs
  • While I don't see a lot of litter scattered around outside the boxes, I do see dusty foot prints around the boxes. For this reason (and also because one of my cats prefers a different litter), I keep the box closest to our living area filled with clay clumping litter and I use the WBCL on the 2 boxes that are farther away from our main living area
post #11 of 18
if you like corn based look at arm and hammer essentials... for my five it lasted about 10 weeks at a shot ( I sometimes scoop 2 times a day)...WBL was a fine litter but I found cheaper and = alternatives
post #12 of 18
I tried WBCL but nope, neither of us liked it.
I found the smell kinda funky(I'm not too sure if I could say it was corny...) and it was indeed VERY dusty compared to any of litters I've ever used.

Worst of all, Ku Ku literally refused to get in because of the smell.
Seems she hated the smell before she even started using it!
Took almost a week 'till she got finally somehow used to it but then again, I had to scoop out more often than regular litters because of the smell.
Also, every time she got out, there'd be her paw-prints & tracts every where - she usually jumped out very quickly as if saying "Phewwww, it was stinky!"

Been using Swheat Scoop. That's cheaper and lasts longer than WBCL.
Also, Ku Ku likes it, too and has no problem with it.
That's most important.
post #13 of 18
I tried WBCL (original) and although I loved the fact that it weighed very little, I found that it made Jamie sneeze. It also didn't form the tight clumps I'm used to from the clay litter I usually use (Golden Grey Master), so it was dumped after just a week, although I scoop twice daily.
post #14 of 18
I find the multi-cat formula of WBCL far superior than the original...especially for the marginal price difference.

I haven't tried any other natural litters, but I much prefer WBCL over the clay stuff.

With 2 cats, the biggest bag lasts me a few months. I scoop everyday and add a couple fresh scoops every week or so. I change it over completely monthly, probably.

As long as it's scooped, I don't smell it (it's in a more out of the way place now, but it used to be in our only bathroom). I don't find tracking too bad, but we have a covered box and two litter mats (small rubber one on top of a big Cats Rule one, which is fantastic). Yellow paw prints to happen on occasion...I find this is worst when the litter has not been freshened up in a while (sometimes I'll let it run down without adding new stuff, if I know I'm going to dump it soon).

I should mention that my cats do not seem picky at all. I'm sure they prefer it clean, but I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with whatever I put in the box.
post #15 of 18
When I switched to multi-cat WBCL, Merlin's wheezing vanished and has not returned.
post #16 of 18
I love WBCL. I use the multi-cat and find that it has great odor control. With 3 cats I scoop at least once daily and I have gotten compliments from non-cat owners. (i.e. "I'm surprised it doesn't smell like 'cat' in here." ) It is on the dusty side, but nothing unbearable.

Pros:
*Biodegradable/chemical free
*Scoops nicely
*Controls odor
*34lbs lasts me a month with 3 cats
*Cats seem to love it (switched from Feline Pine last)

Cons:
*Dusty after it's been stomped around in for a week or more

The good significantly outweighs the bad for me.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKH View Post
I tried WBCL but nope, neither of us liked it.
I found the smell kinda funky(I'm not too sure if I could say it was corny...) and it was indeed VERY dusty compared to any of litters I've ever used.

Worst of all, Ku Ku literally refused to get in because of the smell.
Seems she hated the smell before she even started using it!
Took almost a week 'till she got finally somehow used to it but then again, I had to scoop out more often than regular litters because of the smell.
Also, every time she got out, there'd be her paw-prints & tracts every where - she usually jumped out very quickly as if saying "Phewwww, it was stinky!"

Been using Swheat Scoop. That's cheaper and lasts longer than WBCL.
Also, Ku Ku likes it, too and has no problem with it.
That's most important.
It makes me wonder if different mixtures are sold in different parts of the world. I tried Swheat Scoop and found it left a layer of dust on the furniture beside the box and didn't clump very firmly. I don't have any problem with WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post
I find the multi-cat formula of WBCL far superior than the original...especially for the marginal price difference.

I haven't tried any other natural litters, but I much prefer WBCL over the clay stuff.

With 2 cats, the biggest bag lasts me a few months. I scoop everyday and add a couple fresh scoops every week or so. I change it over completely monthly, probably.

As long as it's scooped, I don't smell it (it's in a more out of the way place now, but it used to be in our only bathroom). I don't find tracking too bad, but we have a covered box and two litter mats (small rubber one on top of a big Cats Rule one, which is fantastic). Yellow paw prints to happen on occasion...I find this is worst when the litter has not been freshened up in a while (sometimes I'll let it run down without adding new stuff, if I know I'm going to dump it soon).

I should mention that my cats do not seem picky at all. I'm sure they prefer it clean, but I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with whatever I put in the box.
I have had the same experience as you. I only buy a big bag for 2 litter boxes about every 3 months. I scoop a minimum of once per day and my non-cat friends say there is no odour so it works for me.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
It makes me wonder if different mixtures are sold in different parts of the world. I tried Swheat Scoop and found it left a layer of dust on the furniture beside the box and didn't clump very firmly. I don't have any problem with WB.
Hmmmm...interesting but I'm not too sure.
I tried WBCL when I was living in FL, though. I've seen it at my local store here in Hawaii but it was way too expensive(at least, compared to Swheat Scoop). Most important of all is, Ku Ku doesn't like it. Sooooo, I wouldn't spend $$ for something she doesn't like.

Just like other clumping (especially clay-based) litters, Swheat Scoop still gets a bit dusty(especially toward the bottom of the box), too but not as much as WBCL did. IMO, Swheat Scoop clumps pretty well but as you pointed out, it may not get firm quickly like clay-based.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › World's Best Cat Litter