erythro-leukaemia? Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
are you talk about white blood cells and the correlation to so types ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Jen... I dont know what I am talking about or what I am asking to be honest.

I have just had a call from the vet and it looks like Cedar has this form of Leukaemia (the vet said it had to do with red blood cells???)

I have to take Cedar into the vet now so he can get some IV fluids into him (for 24-48 hours) as he still has not eaten. The will also do some more tests.

I am a bit overwhelmed... I am not sure what I am asking/what I am meant to ask the vet or anything so thought I would post in here and see what others know.

I am taking Cedar into the vet now

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay ... Now I think I understand
... will try to research some/// if you can get his numbers for us it will be easier

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks Jen, thankyou! I will get all the numbers and let you know when I get back.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Danielle!!

I just rushed gatto to the vet but i will post in another thread!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope Gatto is okay Fran

okay I have all the results. Not sure what it is exactly that would help so I will give you everything. But now after typing all of that out I understand why they are testing him for FIV and FeLV today.

If anyone can transcribe this into english
or offer any advise, I would appreciate it.

I will get the FIV & FeLV test results this afternoon (in a few hours)

Red Cell Count - 5.23
Haemoglobin - 85
HCT - 0.26
MCV - 50
MCH - 16.0
MCHC - 327
White Cell Count - 21.7
Neutrophils - 9.8
Band Forms - 0.0
Lymphocytes - 11.7
Monocytes - 0.2
Plasma Protein - 70

veterinary film review:
Erythrocytes:
- anaemia, anisocytosis +/-. immature erythrocytes including polychromatophilic and basophilic rubricytes, prorubricyte, and fewer rubriblasts and metarubricytes. No polychromasia.
Melocytes:
- occassional band and metamyelocytes present, rare promyelocyte
Lymphocytes:
- predominantly small and well differentiated with occasional medium-sized lymphocytes
Other:
There are numerous medium to large blasts with a single often centrically located, perfectly round nucleus 2.5 RBC's in diameter, etched chromatin and medium-sized nucleoli. They have deeply basophilic cytoplasm and occassionally contain a clear Golgi zone. Their features are most consistent erythroblasts, but I'm reluctant to completely rule out the possibilty of lymphoblasts.
There is a prominent evidence of apoptosis (programed cell death) and many basket cells (smudged nuclear remnants). A few mitotic figures and a binculeate erythrocyte are observed. Occassional cytoplasimic droplets.

Interpretation:
In the absence of polychromasia and no current explanation for the high numbers of immature red blood cells, there is a moderate possiblity that this patient could in the early states of MDS-Er (myelodysplastic syndrome - erythroid predominance or very early Erythroleukaemia (recelently classified as AML M6)

These patients are usually anaemic and this cat is currently not therefore it is very important that other differential causes should also be explored.
If they are ruled out and the haematological findings are persistent then bone marrow cytology is advisable

If this does indeed develop into MDS-Er or AML M6, these patients often have underlying FeLV infection.
Additionally, as with all myeloproliferative diseases in cats pathology involiving one cell line, erythroid in this case, may evolve over months to dysplasisa or neoplasia of another has Erythroleukaemia (recently classified as AML M6)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been googling - and there really isn't much info out there on this - let alone info that I can make sense of.

Wish I could do more than just send
& your way.

Were you able to talk to your vet to get it explained?

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he amemic and has Feline Leuk? Which by reading what you wrote is his white blood cells are eating at the clean red blood cells as they are trying to produce cells to better your kitty. You will hope that his bone marrow will regenerate and produce necessary cells. My fingers are XX'ed for you.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Dan

I wish I could offer some useful info.
Cedar

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't be of any use with information, so I'll just keep the and
and prayers flowing.

Peace, hon, I hope this is just an awful scare and your boy is going to be fine.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The info I've found is all written for vets, so not helpful. Sending mega for Cedar, and
that it turns out not be that serious.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thankyou everyone
what an overwhelming 24 hours this has been. I can not believe how quickly ones world can be turned upside down

Originally Posted by MTBee

Is he amemic and has Feline Leuk? Which by reading what you wrote is his white blood cells are eating at the clean red blood cells as they are trying to produce cells to better your kitty. You will hope that his bone marrow will regenerate and produce necessary cells. My fingers are XX'ed for you.
No he is not anemic and the FeLV test has been inconclusive at this stage. Apparently the test gets read at 10 minutes and at that point it was negative but then a few minutes later the test went a bit 'cloudy' (vets terms) so the vet was unable to give me a definite answer. His blood has been sent to an outside source and with luck we will get the results today (its early morning on Tuesday here in Australia)

He was negative for FIV.

I tried to gleam as much information out of my vet as possible but unfortunately even they are a bit confused as the blood results are unusual.

We will await on the FeLV results and the vet will talk to the pathology office that did the original tests (which I quoted in my previous post) and see if he can get some more information. Unfortunatly though at this point, there is no point worrying about our next step if we can not get him to eat. Me must eat. Its been 7 days. Obviously he is now on the IV fluid which will help short term.

The vet did say even if the FeLV test does come back negative we are still dealing with a different strain/type (whatever its called) form of leukaemia as well. Its pretty certain that he has the Erythro-Leukaemia but at what stage we dont know. I dont know more than that about this form of Leukaemia.

I went and visited Cedar last night before closing and took Jasmine with me. Poor darling Cedar, so so scared. Absolutely broke my heart

Thankyou everyone for your thoughts and vibes, I really appreciate it especially considering I havent been around much on the boards lately.

I will update when I know more later this afternoon

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Jen

so from the results
there is a moderate possiblity that this patient could in the early states of MDS-Er (myelodysplastic syndrome - erythroid predominance or very early Erythroleukaemia (recelently classified as AML M6)
(my bolds)

Erythroleukaemia
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...rythroleukemia

myelodysplastic syndrome
feline leukemia complexthe array of diseases associated with infection of cats by the feline leukemia virus; includes lymphoreticular neoplasms, myelodysplastic disorders and abnormalities of the immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.