I am kinda nervous

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thursday, I am going to have my foot operated on. I don't know if anyone remembers last year that I was off all summer because I had three highly decorated casts on.

Anywhoo, it didn't work, my foot is back to hurting and the only thing left is surgery. The doctor is going to detach my achilles tendon and then grind off part of my heel bone. Then he is going to screw an anchor into the heel bone and re-attach the tendon. While he has things opened up, he is going to repair any damage to the tendon.

I will be off work for 10-12 weeks. This is the most major surgery that I have ever had.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hun that does not sound like fun! Good luck with the surgery on Thursday, and for a speedy recovery.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, you will be fine
. I can understand though, just the mention of "surgery" makes me run the other way. But it sounds like a pretty simple procedure. Many that everything goes well, and calming for you.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they put you completely out or do a local for that type of surgery?

What is the aftercare like? Crutches and a splint or a cast? Physio for the 3mos? (
sorry, I'm one of those who find surgeries to be interesting, especially ones I've never heard of before)

I'm sure you will do fine, and if you find you are overally anxious, most hospitals will give you something to help you relax.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but if not..... make sure you get things ready, maybe some meals made, stuff around the house, etc. to make your life easier when you come home.

I hope this sugery is successful, and your pain is gone. Many for surgery and recovery. You'll be skydiving again in no time

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course it's scary. Anything like that is - until it's over. I'm sure all will go well.
Lots of be calm, go well, and quick recovery vibes on the way!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Being nervous is understandable. Sending More than likely being home for 10 to 12 weeks will be the worst part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Do they put you completely out or do a local for that type of surgery?

What is the aftercare like? Crutches and a splint or a cast? Physio for the 3mos? (
sorry, I'm one of those who find surgeries to be interesting, especially ones I've never heard of before)

I'm sure you will do fine, and if you find you are overally anxious, most hospitals will give you something to help you relax.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but if not..... make sure you get things ready, maybe some meals made, stuff around the house, etc. to make your life easier when you come home.

I hope this sugery is successful, and your pain is gone. Many for surgery and recovery. You'll be skydiving again in no time
I will be getting general anesthetic, I wouldn't do any sort of surgery with less.

After the surgery, I will be in a splint and then in a cam-walker which is kind of like a removable cast. I will not be allowed to put weight on my foot for quite awhile, so I will be using crutches.

The Dr. said that after the surgery, my behind is supposed to be glued to the couch and my foot elevated. The only reason that I will be allowed up is to use the bathroom. As the incision heals, and the swelling goes down, I will be allowed up more.

I have instructed the hubby on basic cooking and food preparation techniques. Also, he will be making my lunch the night before on weekdays so it will be ready for me to take out of the fridge. I also brought out the camp air mattress to sleep on the first couple nights and as an alternative to the couch during the day.

Since you are a surgery buff, I have a link to a video of the surgery. It isn't bloody, but it is graphic and there are two parts.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I will be getting general anesthetic, I wouldn't do any sort of surgery with less.

After the surgery, I will be in a splint and then in a cam-walker which is kind of like a removable cast. I will not be allowed to put weight on my foot for quite awhile, so I will be using crutches.

The Dr. said that after the surgery, my behind is supposed to be glued to the couch and my foot elevated. The only reason that I will be allowed up is to use the bathroom. As the incision heals, and the swelling goes down, I will be allowed up more.

I have instructed the hubby on basic cooking and food preparation techniques. Also, he will be making my lunch the night before on weekdays so it will be ready for me to take out of the fridge. I also brought out the camp air mattress to sleep on the first couple nights and as an alternative to the couch during the day.

Since you are a surgery buff, I have a link to a video of the surgery. It isn't bloody, but it is graphic and there are two parts.
Thanks for sharing Melissa. It is a veryinteresting surgery. I hope it works well for you.

I wasn't sure if they would do a local or full anesthetic because of it being a "smaller" surgery.... (kinda like when they did the carpal tunnel surgeries and my other hand surgery) But I would think because they cut the bone, it may be a good idea for a full anesthetic.

Sounds like you have everything prepared.... One thought, when you go to put your foot down to go to the washroom, or whatever (move it from the elevated position) do so slowly....in stages. I learned the hard way about that. Had some probs which required elevation of my calf/foot and got up once for bathroom, just normal speed, and bout 10-15sec after, the pain hit tremendously as the blood flowed back into my limb and it throbbed horribly. Someone suggested lowering it in phases before moving and I found it help.... it still throbbed but not near as fierce.

Good luck and many :vibes" for calming, for a successful surgery, and speedy recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Thanks for sharing Melissa. It is a veryinteresting surgery. I hope it works well for you.

I wasn't sure if they would do a local or full anesthetic because of it being a "smaller" surgery.... (kinda like when they did the carpal tunnel surgeries and my other hand surgery) But I would think because they cut the bone, it may be a good idea for a full anesthetic.

Sounds like you have everything prepared.... One thought, when you go to put your foot down to go to the washroom, or whatever (move it from the elevated position) do so slowly....in stages. I learned the hard way about that. Had some probs which required elevation of my calf/foot and got up once for bathroom, just normal speed, and bout 10-15sec after, the pain hit tremendously as the blood flowed back into my limb and it throbbed horribly. Someone suggested lowering it in phases before moving and I found it help.... it still throbbed but not near as fierce.

Good luck and many :vibes" for calming, for a successful surgery, and speedy recovery.
Snake Lady - Thanks for the advice

I also appreciate the vibes and the kind words from everyone

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure everything will go well. You'll be back on your feet in no time.

I've been through the reattaching part before. I was going for a run about 6 years ago and my foot got caught in a gopher hole and the tendon snapped. Not the funnest day for me, but it's over now and I'm running again.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww surgery is never fun but if it fixes the problem then that is the light at the end of the tunnel! Lots of for an easy operation and a speedy recovery!