Self-injections???

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone-
Just wanted to let the people that knew I was in the hospital that I'm being released to go home. Yippee!!

Here's my question: Does anyone on here ever have to give self-injections/IM injections? I just did one for me with a muscle relaxant, and I was sooooo scared I was shaking really bad. She had me practice on an orange for awhile, but it's not like the orange is my thigh lol. I've always been told that I have thick skin, which doesn't help very much either. But it didn't hurt as much as it did when the nurses would give them to me. I think it was because I controlled how fast the norflex went in. It was funny- the first try I was such a chicken that I just poked myself, not putting it in and that made my nurse laugh then I laughed, it was hilarious (I think it was one of moments where you'd have to be there.)

Another question: the self injections that I will be doing at home are Benadryl. Well, our pharmacy told us that the insurance won't cover it because you can get Benadryl OTC. But when you inject it into your body and not just have it go into your stomach, it works TOTALLY different. It helps my headaches. I'm thinking that my doctor or his PA will have to call either the pharmacy OR the insurance company explaining why I need it this way and what it's for. I'm tellin' ya, these damn insurance companies are starting to make things worse and worse and worse!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

I've always been told that I have thick skin
So they gave you an orange? What would you have thought if they had given you a kiwi?

I haven't had to self inject anything, so I can't answer that question - but hopefully you'll pick up the hang of it in time.
Originally Posted by mismaris777

Another question: the self injections that I will be doing at home are Benadryl. Well, our pharmacy told us that the insurance won't cover it because you can get Benadryl OTC. But when you inject it into your body and not just have it go into your stomach, it works TOTALLY different. It helps my headaches. I'm thinking that my doctor or his PA will have to call either the pharmacy OR the insurance company explaining why I need it this way and what it's for. I'm tellin' ya, these damn insurance companies are starting to make things worse and worse and worse!!!
You need to have the doctor write out the prescription exactly stating what form you MUST have for medical purposes. Though I wonder if the sublingual strips would work for you in a pinch?

I'm glad they released you! Have fun catching up on kitty snuggles.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had to give myself injections, but I did have to give a friend of mine insulin shots every now and then. He actually trained me on how to do it (it wasn't an emergency situation) so I would know if I ever DID have to do it...which was good. But my hands were shaking so it freaked me out. After a few tries over a period of time it became better. I don't know if I could handle doing it to myself though...that has to be harder!

As for the insurance, hopefully a letter from the doctor will help, especially since this is a shot and not a pill. Our insurance won't pay for DH's prescription anti-acid meds because "there are similar products available OTC". The way I look at it, if it's prescription no questions should be asked. But then again I'm guessing a lot of doctors prescribe things so they can get a kickback (yes, I'm cynical) when all they have to do is tell them where to get it in the medicine aisle. But, in your case, there is a big difference between a shot and a pill. I would definitely argue your point!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to inject one of my arthritus medications. But I have never used a regular syringe. Instead I use and epi pen.

When the doctor first suggested this I really nervous about doing it. But now I find it to be very easy.

My only recommendation is if you have a choice between injecting in your thigh or stomach. Go for the stomach.

I injected my thigh once. Never again. It really hurt! And I ended up with a bruise.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I'm glad the Benadryl injected is helping those headaches! Have you talked to your neurologist about histamine desensitization? Seems maybe that would be an option! I know you have real trouble with horrible headaches.

I didn't know you were in the hospital or why you landed up there, but glad you're being released!

You'll get the hang of injections in no time. My dad had to do insulin injections twice a day. My mom did the one before dinner, he did the one around breakfast. They used some kind of thing you put the needle in - it pops it in to the right "depth," and then he or she controlled the rate of flow.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I commend you on being able to inject yourself. I don't know if I could do it. I have to check my blood sugar and it took me forever to get the nerve up to prick my finger. But I have instructed a lot people on how to give their own injections (insulin, Lovenox, etc.) and I'm sure the injections will become routine to you. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well and hope you get better soon.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Missy, that is fantastic news
What is even better is that they found something that works for your headaches.... I am soooooo happy to hear that.

I have no advice on the injections, but I hope you get the hang of it quickly.

I bet the kitties will be so happy to see you

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hurray on them finding meds that work for you..As for the injections Id do it in the thigh over stomach anyday. I had to give myself Lovonox (SP?) injections for blood thinner for 6 weeks after having both my girls. It was horrible in the stomach it burned sooooooooooo badddddd! But when they said I could try my thigh and see if that got better I did that. I just pinched a big hunka skin and jabbed it..I would just count till I forgot what I was doing because Id be nervous and when I forgot that I was going to stab myself with a needle I would just do it and push the stuff in..After a while once I got over the initial weirdness of doing it it got alot better! But IMO the thigh is better than the stomach.