Help needed please

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey let me start this by apologizing if I seem to waffle on, I just want to make sure I get all the information in.

I currently have 3 cats/kittens my eldest is a year and 4 months old he's a neutered male. My "middle child" is Jasper he has just turned 5 months and three days ago we adopted a 3 month old female. Our vets won't neuter Jasper until he is 6 months old. When we were choosing our little girl we made sure the adoption centre knew we had a un-neutered male but they assured us that as she was only 3 months and he would be operated on in the next few weeks it would be fine.

We bought her home and all seemed well our older cat is still a little unsure and will occasionally growl or hiss if she looks at him directly but he's fine to be in the same room as her. Jasper was fine didn't overly harass her and on the second day curled up to sleep with her and was grooming her but last night problems starting occurring he started chasing her around (something he used to do with out older cat) but it became different when he bit her around the back of the neck and pushed her neck into the ground, we made a clapping noise and he let go. This continued but we kept intervening and eventually it all calmed down.

Until today. The day started off fine both of them were sleeping calmly next thing jasper has her pinned down by the neck and she's crying out over and over, i tried clapping again but he wouldn't let go so in the end i had to physically remove him as gently as i could so not to hurt him. I picked her up and she clung to me (not unusual as she is a very attention loving cat) but Jasper starting hunting round and round the room crying/meowing/howling I can only assume looking for her. It doesn't look like he is doing anything else to her but I think she is starting to get a little distressed by it. I'm currently hiding out in my bedroom with her curled up on the bed and trying not to let Jasper in.

Any advise on what might help keep them separated for a while? try talking to the vet and see if they'll do the operation early? My only worry is that even after his surgery he may continue if he gets into the habit now. Anyone else had a similar problem? He is also trying to disturbing her when she's trying to go to the litter box.

Sorry again for rambling. Thanks for reading.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper is mating this little girl and you probably have a pregnant female on your hands. You need to keep them separated and you need to have her spayed and him neutered immediately.

He is indeed old enough and she is indeed old enough.

I wish you luck.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply.

I guess my own naivety has caused the problem is some part. I did ask for advice as I was worried about this situation and was assured it would be fine. I'm a little angry with them I must say and myself for just believing them.

I haven't noticed him actually mount her yet though and I am almost 100% sure I have separated them every time he has grabbed her. I'll try keeping them apart until I can get though to the vets and see if I can get them in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Grabbing the neck could be also a dominance thing. But he is a liiittle to eager about this, so I
agree it is rather his new hormones playing....

Good you are on the way to neuter him. It is the easiest now.

If the doc dont want to make his part yet, ask to get him (the tom) the pill. It will cool him down. 1 per week should do.
The pill used a longer time is no good. But it works just fine for buying time.

(it depends of course on where you do live. They say in US they dont use the pill).

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be very concerned about the female. Mating can happen very quickly. For a kitten that young to be pregnant could be the death of her. Keep them absolute separate--not just supervised. And watch the kitten for signs of pregnancy, allowing her to carry a litter that young could kill her.

Leslie

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be aware that after neutering, boys are still fertile for up to 2 months so you need to keep the girl away still.

Girls usually don't come into season until 4 months onwards, but I have heard a friend had one at 14 weeks - better to play it safe and keep both apart until both are fixed.

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi just wanted to update that after discussing and explaining things to the vet including Jaspers actions towards girl kitten they did the surgery and he hasn't bothered doing any sexual behavior with her since, they are very affectionate and will lick each others heads but nothing more untoward.

I do have a quick question though, what signs should I watch out for just in case it was too late and she is pregnant I don't really have any ideas of cat pregnancy signs!?

Thanks

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that he was fixed, like others have said just continue to keep an eye on them just incase and don't leave them together unsupervised as he may still be able to produce a litter for about 2 months after being fixed. Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by miss_kitty_

what signs should I watch out for just in case it was too late and she is pregnant I don't really have any ideas of cat pregnancy signs!?

Thanks
The easiest to see is usually their nipples are getting to be more visible, reddish and bigger. This after about 20 days.
The belly begins to grow too.

An experienced owner can often see also changes in behaviour, often very soon, even before this 20 days.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet knows the situation, why not spay the female. Waiting could be dangerous for her because to spay a pregnant female and that young could be complicated and pose more risks the longer you wait.

Ask the vet to spay her earlier. Maybe with the circumstances he will make an allowance instead of waiting until 6 months old.

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

The vet knows the situation, why not spay the female. Waiting could be dangerous for her because to spay a pregnant female and that young could be complicated and pose more risks the longer you wait.

Ask the vet to spay her earlier. Maybe with the circumstances he will make an allowance instead of waiting until 6 months old.
I tried three different vets but none of them will do her yet, even with the situation they said 5 months at the earliest but she still has over a month till then. So I'm just trying to keep an eye on her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I tried three different vets but none of them will do her yet, even with the situation they said 5 months at the earliest but she still has over a month till then. So I'm just trying to keep an eye on her.
They probably believe nothing happened really, ie she didnt got pregnant.

And IF, they will decide when you and they know more.

This is of course also an answer. 3 different, competent vets opion do wins over a forum, especielly as our policy in any unsure cases IS to recommend a visit to a good vet!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I'm just trying to keep an eye on her.
Sorry, but I would be doing more than just keeping on eye on them. Mating takes only seconds, and you simply cannot watch them 24/7. I would keep them apart so that nothing can happen.

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Sorry, but I would be doing more than just keeping on eye on them. Mating takes only seconds, and you simply cannot watch them 24/7. I would keep them apart so that nothing can happen.
Actually the keeping an eye on her quote was about looking for pregnancy symptoms rather than actual mating as I did keep them apart.