Prayers and Vibes needed for my Sister

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't post for vibes often. I think I have maybe once for my neice when she was sick.

My sister is in a bad way. She is depressed and has anxiety and is going through a bad breakup. She basically depends on men, and then when they dump her she gets into a deep depression.

She decided this morning that she would drive to Ottawa here to see us because she was so stressed out. She is on all sorts of anti anxiety meds and my mom and I are so worried about her and my neices who are with her. We are 7 hours away. In her state it is not a good idea to drive, let alone with kids in the van and for 7 hours.

Sure enough, she had an accident on her way here. It was her fault, and everyone is okay. She is now in a rental on her way with about 3 hours to go.

A little backstory..she actually thought she was having a nervous breakdown the other day and tried checking herself into a mental hospital.

I fear this is the start of something worse. I have a sick feeling in my gut.

Please send prayers and vibes.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I will definitely keep your sister in my prayers. I've dealt with depression and anxiety for the majority of my life so I understand the strain it puts on your family. My sister has it worse than me. I hope your sister finds a good medication combination to help her. It's very difficult to find the right one. Then after a few years your body becomes immune and you have to start all over again. Maybe your sis needs to see someone to have it adjusted? Just remember when stressful things happen, it's amplified MUCH worse for a depressed person. You just have to be patient and understanding. I hope she feels better soon.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad everyone is ok from the accident. You can always count on me for prayers. Depression and anxiety are no joke.
Msg me on facebook if you need/want to.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that she is having such a hard time. I am glad that no one was hurt in the accident.

I will keep her, you, and your family in my prayers.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many for your sister, and you guys too. I hope you are able to support her in her time of need, and I hope she is able to get the help/support she needs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Many for your sister, and you guys too. I hope you are able to support her in her time of need, and I hope she is able to get the help/support she needs
The thing is, we don't know how to support her. What we want to do is tell her to get over this stupid jerk that is breaking her heart and think about her children and what she needs to do to succeed.

Obviously I know we can't say that, but we have no idea what to say to snap her out of it.

She just got $17k in loans for school, and now isn't even going to class anymore because of this.

She just went bankrupt already last year.

She is just so far gone I fear, and its only getting worse

I don't know how to support her..someone please tell me. I am lost.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to let people hit bottom before they wake up and realize that THEY are the ones who have to do something about it.

I have a friend who gets depressed spells, and he'll text message me until two in the morning saying how depressed he is, and he doesn't want to get out of bed, and he's tired of living. I asked a psychologist friend of mine if there was anything I could do to encourage him to get real help, since I obviously wasn't cutting it. He said that counseling only really helps those who seek it out for themselves, and in the mean time, to just be as supportive as you can.

Its not really helpful advice as far as actually getting anything done, I know. But she needs to realize that she is in trouble, and that you'll help her, but she's the one who's going to have to get help. I have mixed feelings about how much physical stuff to give them, like time, shoulders to whine on (not cry on), and money. How do you balance between helping, and giving them a crutch that will just keep them in trouble?

It might, maybe, help you to find a counselor that you trust and see him or her yourself, to get a better idea of what will help her, and what will only hurt her more. You could also inquire about treatment or support options for her, so that if and when she is ready, you have answers on hand for her, and even places to go if she's still in your area.

I don't know if any of that helps at all, but here are more
, and prayers for you and your sister!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to let people hit bottom before they wake up and realize that THEY are the ones who have to do something about it.

Time to let her hit rock bottom. The only thing your family can do it look into taking legal custody of the kids. They need you more right now b/c they can't care for themselves. Your sister can and needs to figure that out by hitting rock bottom.
It's tough...I know my cousin battles with drugs and alcohol. He has two children and doesn't have custody of either. He has been in/out of rehab for years. The kids must come first.