TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Lypo for cankles, are they serious?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lypo for cankles, are they serious?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
So I stumbled across this little link on MSN today

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Cankl...es&FORM=MSNSEA

Now being someone, as one of the articles puts it, "suffering from this condition" I think I have a right to say how STUPID this is. Believe me if the only part of my body I was worried about were my Canckles I'd be thrilled. Also, really have we gotten that shallow that the size of someone's ankles is a measurement of thier worth? There are starving children & animals in the world & we are worried about this? are they serious???
post #2 of 9
some women and men are that vain
post #3 of 9
A woman I used to work with was so vain, she had ALL the varicous veins taken out of her legs. One year she needed bypass surgery.........and they had to use veins in her thighs and stomach instead.......so she ended up with a lot more scars on her body because she was vain about it.

This person also "paid" another co-worker to drive her home one day because when she got to work, her shoes did not match her purse! I'm not kidding
post #4 of 9
You can all go ahead and judge all you want, but my tree trunk legs (read: cankles) are probably the part of my body I am the most sensitive and insecure about - because there are no "natural" remedies, believe me, Ive done every ankle/calf exercise there is. I would LOVE to have shapely legs and attractive ankles, and would be lying to say Ive felt *no* envy towards women of all sizes who look good in shoes I cant even consider wearing. And I LOVE shoes. Im not saying Im lining up to get *any* form of plastic surgery, but to me, its absolutely no different than any other cosmetic procedure, and Id be just as likely to consider this as anything else were I so inclined.
post #5 of 9
To me, this is right there with that fashion magazine editor who finished a marathon but didn't like her bulky thighs in the pics so she got them airbrushed down in the picture that ran in the magazine. It's sad when people can't manage to be OK with themselves for being overall average or above average in the physical department.

If I had some money to burn and couldn't think of anything to spend it on other than plastic surgery, I have a bump on my forehead (I think it's made out of some kind of vaguely bonelike scar tissue, left from when a big stick got thrown and hit me) that I wouldn't mind getting rid of--I do sometimes feel self-conscious about it and won't wear my hair in certain ways that I feel draw attention to it. But it's just not that big a deal and I do this crazy thing called living my life anyway.

I think part of the problem is fashion magazines and other forms of celebrity overexposure; when people spend too much time looking at 10s and 9s, it's pretty well impossible to not want to be at least an 8. Most of us need to learn to embrace being in the 4-6 range.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa View Post
You can all go ahead and judge all you want, but my tree trunk legs (read: cankles) are probably the part of my body I am the most sensitive and insecure about - because there are no "natural" remedies, believe me, Ive done every ankle/calf exercise there is. I would LOVE to have shapely legs and attractive ankles, and would be lying to say Ive felt *no* envy towards women of all sizes who look good in shoes I cant even consider wearing. And I LOVE shoes. Im not saying Im lining up to get *any* form of plastic surgery, but to me, its absolutely no different than any other cosmetic procedure, and Id be just as likely to consider this as anything else were I so inclined.
I have to agree with this. I have a very close friend who has done great since high school and has dropped 75lbs with exercise and weight watchers, but her lower legs have never really changed and she has always hated it.

Some parts of the body are extremely hard to change naturally and if it helps a woman feel more confident and better about herself then I say go for it! Why shouldnt we all be able to feel good about ourselves?
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_jordi View Post
Some parts of the body are extremely hard to change naturally and if it helps a woman feel more confident and better about herself then I say go for it! Why shouldnt we all be able to feel good about ourselves?
Exactly. And who are we to tell someone else what to do with their bodies and money? As long as someone isn't causing another harm, their private lives really aren't anybodies business but theirs.

I only hope that everyone getting cosmetic procedures done do have a thorough consult with their doctor(s) to make sure they're healthy enough and that there won't be future problems that could have easily been avoided.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
A woman I used to work with was so vain, she had ALL the varicous veins taken out of her legs. One year she needed bypass surgery.........and they had to use veins in her thighs and stomach instead.......so she ended up with a lot more scars on her body because she was vain about it.

This person also "paid" another co-worker to drive her home one day because when she got to work, her shoes did not match her purse! I'm not kidding
I certainly don't know your co-worker or whether she was "vain" or not, but I worked for a man who had to have the veins in his legs stripped because they were painful and had nothing to do with vanity so I wouldn't be so sure it was just vanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa View Post
You can all go ahead and judge all you want, but my tree trunk legs (read: cankles) are probably the part of my body I am the most sensitive and insecure about - because there are no "natural" remedies, believe me, Ive done every ankle/calf exercise there is. I would LOVE to have shapely legs and attractive ankles, and would be lying to say Ive felt *no* envy towards women of all sizes who look good in shoes I cant even consider wearing. And I LOVE shoes. Im not saying Im lining up to get *any* form of plastic surgery, but to me, its absolutely no different than any other cosmetic procedure, and Id be just as likely to consider this as anything else were I so inclined.
Bless you for being so honest. I also love, love, love shoes so I can appreciate how you must feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_jordi View Post
I have to agree with this. I have a very close friend who has done great since high school and has dropped 75lbs with exercise and weight watchers, but her lower legs have never really changed and she has always hated it.

Some parts of the body are extremely hard to change naturally and if it helps a woman feel more confident and better about herself then I say go for it! Why shouldnt we all be able to feel good about ourselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Exactly. And who are we to tell someone else what to do with their bodies and money? As long as someone isn't causing another harm, their private lives really aren't anybodies business but theirs.

I only hope that everyone getting cosmetic procedures done do have a thorough consult with their doctor(s) to make sure they're healthy enough and that there won't be future problems that could have easily been avoided.
I agree - if you can afford it and it makes you feel better about yourself it's nobody's business but yours and I say go for it.
post #9 of 9
I think, that unless it's for extreme circumstances (as in a breast removal and replacement, or accident reconstruction) cosmetic surgery is stupid. BUT, it's up the the individual. If the individual can afford it then go for it if it makes them feel better about themselves. I feel sad for people that think their outside appearence will make them fully happy though. I, for one, will NEVER have anything done to my body surgericaly unless needed. My body is mine, and is ME. I'm getting older and things are starting to droop or disappear (ie, I have no butt), but that is nature.

I wonder, did they say anything about WHY Cankles happen? I would think taking something out of a supporting part of your body would cause more problems in the future. Yeah, she would look great in a pair of heals, but not laying on the couch because she can't walk.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Lypo for cankles, are they serious?