:( Dissapointed in a coworker!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's this girl I work with, pretty young. We were talking about our kitties, I'd just gotten Abbey. She mentioned the girl was not using the litter box and she was thinking of getting rid of her. I asked some questions, found out the girl and one boy were about four months old, the other boy was older then them but pretty young. I told her where there was a low cost spay and neuter clinic where she could get them spayed and neutered for $30 a cat. I gave some suggestions about the girl cat not using a litter box. The usual-make sure you have enough boxes and they are spread out, make sure she doesn't have a UTI, try cat attract because she's young, at that age she could be in heat. I told her not to give up on them. She is all they have. They depend on her.

We worked together tonight, I asked about them. She said she got rid of two. Left them outside at her boy friend's mom's. She said it so casually! Like it wasn't a big deal. She didn't even spay or neuter them and they aren't vaccinated. UGH! That's so frustrating! I'm going to ask her if I can at least take them to get spayed and neutered and vaccinated for her. Poor cats.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a materialistic culture that likes instant gratification and disposable things... add pets. You get the majority of the population.

I don't talk about pets or ask people about theirs anymore unless I've seen how they care for their pets in person or they start the conversation and it leads to them proving how much they truly love their animals. To do otherwise is usually disappointing and sometimes completely disturbing.
I absolutely hate the phrase "it's just a _____".

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, I'm sorry, but not everyone treats their pets as part of the family. Let's hope she doesn't decide to get anymore cats to replace the two she abandoned.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw man .. that stinks. Yeah... see if you can go get them fixed and vetted at least. What an irresponsible, self-centered
!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. My mom wants me to get rid of my puppy because hes "too stressful" AKA: my aunt wants my dog because hes a dapple doxie...YET my mother cant manage to house break the two dogs she has..I even offered to take one off her hands to help house train him and she said no..IMO my mother is the irresposible goober who needs to reevaluate who needs to take care of what...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Take a materialistic culture that likes instant gratification and disposable things... add pets. You get the majority of the population.

I absolutely hate the phrase "it's just a _____".
Too true. We see it alot in the reptile industry.... "It's just a $20 snake, who cares".

To the OP: I hope you are able to get the kitties vaccinated and speutered.

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ughh, that's so frustrating, especially when you'd TRIED to talk to her, offer advice & suggestions.. she completely ignores everything you said and does the worst possible thing she can. *sigh*

I also HATE HATE HATE the phrase, "it's just a ___"... I have become involved in a LOT of heated discussions where I defend the rights of an animal. I hold grudges like nobody's business when it comes to animal neglect or cruelty or stubborn-ignorance. Grrrr.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too hope the kittens can get fixed before the female is inbred or bred to another neighborhood cat. Makes me sick when I read about people posting ads or saying "got to move and can't take my pet with me"...or the "I can't do anything to potty train the cat/dog" so I'm getting rid of him/her. If you can't take a pet with you to a new place, don't move there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Aw man .. that stinks. Yeah... see if you can go get them fixed and vetted at least. What an irresponsible, self-centered
!
Irresponsible, yes, but young too. But being young is no excuse, my little sister is younger then her and has a cavalier king charles spaniel. She's had him since she was seventeen and would never even think about re homing him.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

There's this girl I work with, pretty young. We were talking about our kitties, I'd just gotten Abbey. She mentioned the girl was not using the litter box and she was thinking of getting rid of her. I asked some questions, found out the girl and one boy were about four months old, the other boy was older then them but pretty young. I told her where there was a low cost spay and neuter clinic where she could get them spayed and neutered for $30 a cat. I gave some suggestions about the girl cat not using a litter box. The usual-make sure you have enough boxes and they are spread out, make sure she doesn't have a UTI, try cat attract because she's young, at that age she could be in heat. I told her not to give up on them. She is all they have. They depend on her.

We worked together tonight, I asked about them. She said she got rid of two. Left them outside at her boy friend's mom's. She said it so casually! Like it wasn't a big deal. She didn't even spay or neuter them and they aren't vaccinated. UGH! That's so frustrating! I'm going to ask her if I can at least take them to get spayed and neutered and vaccinated for her. Poor cats.
That's terrible. That's why I make it a point not to discuss cats or animals in general at work, because I know a lot people were not raised with the same values I have, i.e. integrity. In an ordinary circumstance, I would be able to say "consider the source". But when there are animals involved, I can't just write it off, so I end up with hidden animosity toward my co-worker. And sometimes my animosity is not so hidden (people find out that I love cats, and they gravitate to me with their awful stories). I feel sorry for those cats, and for you, for having to work with this horrible thoughtless person.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looking back at my previous post, I was awfully easy on your co-worker. I hope I'm not getting complacent. I didn't use the phrase "waste of space" in reference to your co-worker at all. But please don't get me wrong, I'm still

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I hope I'm not getting complacent.
Don't worry, no one's going to accuse you of that.
I hate it too when people find out I have several cats, somehow they think I want to hear bad stories or that they had to put their unspayed cat outside because she was meowing too much...

I wish I could say that parents influence their children into being more responsible and caring. But I honestly haven't found that to be completely true. My mother was ok, but my father was terrible - Somehow I turned out being more compassionate to animals than both of them.
Then you have people that had very responsible parents and it seems those skills just don't rub off at all.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Don't worry, no one's going to accuse you of that.
I hate it too when people find out I have several cats, somehow they think I want to hear bad stories or that they had to put their unspayed cat outside because she was meowing too much...

I wish I could say that parents influence their children into being more responsible and caring. But I honestly haven't found that to be completely true. My mother was ok, but my father was terrible - Somehow I turned out being more compassionate to animals than both of them.
Then you have people that had very responsible parents and it seems those skills just don't rub off at all.
I don't think that is completely true. Both my parents were very responsible and taught me love, compassion and responsiblity. I was also an only child so that gave me more responsiblites than most families. I think it depends on the person as an individual and how they choose to live, but family influence does play a role also.

To the OP: It is said to see when people just dump their pets. It makes me really mad! I hope you are able to get them taken care of since they are so young.