New Ragdoll kitten, need advise

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would really appreciate opinions on this issue. We purchased a male Ragdoll kitten from (breeders name redacted). We made the 7 hour drive when we were advised he was ready to be picked up. He was approx 9 weeks 3 days old when we got him and the skinniest, smallest kitten we had ever seen. Approx 48 hours later, on Monday morning we took him to our vet who weighed him in at 15 ounces at 9 weeks 5 days of age. He also had a minor upper respiratory infection and diarrhea. I can provide documentation of the above upon request.

Needless to say, the breeder's reaction to this news was "well, he was fine when he left here. If you're not happy, you can bring him back". I have NO intention of returning this baby to her, for any reason.

I am well aware I could have refused this kitten and demanded my deposit back. But after seeing this poor thing, I just couldn't leave him there. It wasn't about the money at that point.

This breeder had approximately 5 weeks to contact me after I paid the $200 deposit to advise me of his condition, weight, etc. She was well aware that we were driving approx 7 hours one way to pick him up.

Luckily the little guy is doing really well...gaining weight, playing, purring. He's a sweetie. We will make certain he gets the care and medical attention he needs.

I would greatly appreciate opinions on this issue, especially from breeders. Thanks very much.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raggys are supposed to be good size cats when grown (average of 15+ lbs for full grown males).

So your kitten at 9 weeks old should have weighed at least 2 or 2 1/2 lbs and not skinny looking at all.

And reputable breeders do NOT rehome their kittens until 3 or 4 months old with all shots, worming, AND neutered and spayed before they leave home.

IMO this breeder was not a good one and if I saw the kitten in that shape (too young to be taken from mom IMO) then I would have never taken him home.

Sounds like he's doing better, but keep in mind you may wind up with future medical problems because of poor breeding. This breeder sounds more like a backyard breeder to me.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to say this but the breeder had no right letting him go that young.
She does not sound like a good breeder.
Kittens should be 12 weeks before they are gievn to the new homes.
I just got a new sphynx and she was lost at the airport last week and has been sneezing.
I told her breeder about it and she said to give her clavamox.
Everything is fine.
That breeder reacted bad to you.
I like to know why she let him go like that.
It makes mad when breeders do that.
I sure hope you do not have problems with him later on.
He is to small for his age.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so weird... Here is what her website says:

What you will receive…

Our Ragdolls cats and kittens are all TICA registered. Kittens become available at 12 weeks of age. You will receive a registration form once the kitten has been altered (for pet or show only). Your kitten will receive a health record showing that the immunizations and de-worming are up-to-date. All kittens are sold with a written health guarantee for one year against genetic diseases.
I wonder what was the exception to the rule in this case?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's right to name the breeder publicly. Could get you in trouble.

Not really sure what responses you expect, of course we are all going to say it's wrong to rehome a sick kitten and at such a young age.

BTW, thats 425gm for anyone else needing the conversion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why isn't it right to name the breeder ? I have the documentation to prove every word. How can telling the truth get me in trouble ?

I guess I'm just one of those old-fashioned people that believe we should all be held accountable for our actions, including me. I am guilty of not doing more research. Before seeing this baby, I found a number of breeders who stated their kittens are ready to go between 10 and 12 weeks of age, so his age wasn't that far off.

I really didn't expect anything from my post other than the opinions and suggestions of some "reputable" breeders...especially the recommended/ healthy minimum weight of a Ragdoll kitten at sale.

I appreciate all opinions....thanks very much.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not advisable to name the breeder because of possible lawsuits to the forums. So the mods may contact you and revise your posts a little deleting the name.

If we need to, we can ask you for the name of the breeder privately (its been done a lot) and discuss it "off the board"
I already sent you a private message (hope you got it) concerning more about the breeder.

tiberius709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by josh4683

Why isn't it right to name the breeder ? I have the documentation to prove every word. How can telling the truth get me in trouble ?

I guess I'm just one of those old-fashioned people that believe we should all be held accountable for our actions, including me. I am guilty of not doing more research. Before seeing this baby, I found a number of breeders who stated their kittens are ready to go between 10 and 12 weeks of age, so his age wasn't that far off.

I really didn't expect anything from my post other than the opinions and suggestions of some "reputable" breeders...especially the recommended/ healthy minimum weight of a Ragdoll kitten at sale.

I appreciate all opinions....thanks very much.
Personally, I think even though the kitten was young you did a good thing by taking it anyway. It sounds like you can give it a much better home and good care. =)

I don't have much experience with cats so my opinion might not matter as much. As far as naming the breeder, I don't think this breeder would file a law suit against this site as she has no basis for her claim.

I deal with this type of stuff on an almost daily basis and honestly, saying you got a kitten that was underweight and very young is not enough reason to give someone the case to sue. It would be extremely weak at best.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, but you never know
The sad fact is that by buying the kitten, you only encourage more bad breeding. Its like buying one from a pet shop cause you feel sorry for the kitten - only encourages the pet shop to get more stock from the puppy/kitten mills and keep the cycle of bad breeding going!

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are Ragdoll Breeders in California. I agree with the rest that a 9 wk old kitten at 15oz is very small. I would not let one go that early or at that weight. We hold our kittens at least 12 weeks sometimes longer. WE only release them spayed/neutered. At 9 wks the kitten should be up over 2lbs. Although some lines vary. As far as the diaherria and URI those can be triggered by the rehoming or could be from the cattery. Can't tell for sure. These types of conditions can lay dormant and be triggered by stress.

I'm glad you got the kitten as it seems to be doing well and is loved.

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the information, and the good thoughts..I do appreciate it.

We were back to the vet today for what appears to be an eye infection.
That the bad news, but hopefully a minor concern. Our good news is
our little boy weighs in a 1.9 lbs. !!! I was so excited !

He weighed 15 ounces on 9/14, 17 ounces on 9/16 and 1.9 lbs today.

Give you give me your opinion on his weight gain and any suggestions on feedings, or number of feedings a day ?? I'm grateful for any advice you could offer.

He was 11 weeks old on 9/23.

Thanks again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's improving weight wise but still pretty underweight. Remember he should be closer to a pound per month of age, so he has a way to go.

I would let him free feed dry and plenty of canned food. Feed the canned at least 2 or maybe even 3 meals a day if he will eat it. Probably a good 2 meals of canned and dry in a dish will be ok. You don't want him to gain too fast, but you do want a steady gain at this point.

When will we get to see the little one? (pictures)????

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the information, and the good thoughts..I do appreciate it.

We were back to the vet today for what appears to be an eye infection.
That the bad news, but hopefully a minor concern. Our good news is
our little boy weighs in a 1.9 lbs. !!! I was so excited !

He weighed 15 ounces on 9/14, 17 ounces on 9/16 and 1.9 lbs today.

Give you give me your opinion on his weight gain and any suggestions on feedings, or number of feedings a day ?? I'm grateful for any advice you could offer.

He was 11 weeks old on 9/23.

Thanks again.
The weight gain is a very good sign. You don't mention if any meds were given to the kitten. Free feed dry and give a good wet food like wellness kitten a couple times a day. Adjust the diet as necessary depending on results and/or conditions. A good weight is 1 lb a month for the first year or less. Over feeding can cause Diaherria and other problems but most cats know how to regulate their diets on their own.

Has the kitten started having firm stools?

The eye infection could be related to the URI. Or it could be a sign of Feline Herpes. Most are cleared up easily with the right meds. What did your vet prescribe for that?

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feeding advice. He's got a really good appetite.

I promise to post pictures as soon as I get me camera up and working.

Hopefully in the next few days.

Thanks again.

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been taking Clavamox for the URI since 9/14 (first vet check), no more sneezing/coughing. His diarrhea had cleared up completely within the first few days, stools are firm. The vet prescribed Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution for his eye. Wants us to call Monday morning with a report. I'm hoping it's a scratch of some kind. I have noticed his eye seems sensitive to bright light. Feline Herpes ?? Good heavens...I hope not....but what if it is ?? How or can that be treated ?
I've left dry food (Royal Canin Babycat) down for him constantly. I also feed him Fancy Feast Kitten (canned) 3 or 4 times a day. That's the brand the breeder had him on and I was afraid to change it given the diarrhea at the time. I give him a little more than I think he will eat, just so I know he's getting enough at each meal. If he leaves a little behind, I feel better knowing he's full. He seems to love the canned food, kinda picks at the dry food. Should I feed him canned food 4 times a day ???
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick to a max of 3 meals of canned a day. But FF is not that great. Start mixing in some higher quality canned with the FF to gradually change over. Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance are better.

I'd stick to chicken and lamb for now. When you have him switched to better canned foods, then add in beef and venison flavors. Try to stay away from fish based foods like salamon or tuna. Males have more problems with UTI's on too much fish or all dry diets.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since you have firm stools now, I would recommend that you keep the kitten on the same dry food for a few weeks. Babycat is good and we use it. Then start introducing some new better foods as suggested. With wet food changing to different brands is easier but can still cause issues.

Don't worry about Feline Herpes at this time. It is common but doesn't sound like the problem.

I think your kitten is on the right track. You are doing everything right.

Keep us posted

josh4683

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much....I sleep much better after talking with you guys.

I'll keep you posted.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, the name was edited out. It is not you that would get in trouble, but TCS for allowing it. Breeders, companies, etc, can and will sue for such things. If you wish to hold her accountable, there are other means of doing so.