new Un-neutered male cat with our two neutered females? OK? safe?

limm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have two cats, both female, both neutered. both full grown, one older than the other,about 12 yrs and 5 yrs, respectively. the older one stays outdoors nearly EVERY day, by her own choice, starting at dawn and comes in at dusk to eat (then we have her sleep indoors, like the other one). the 'outdoorsy' older one is plenty, though - she'll walk 2 houses away and go START fights with the neighbor cat 2 houses over "for no reason whatsoever". the other one, the indoor one, is a bit more delicate, i think, though she 'holds her own' against lovey 'the outdoorsey' cat when they're both indoors.

well now, lovey 'outdoorsey' seems to have 'made a friend' with some neighborhood cat, male, full grown, black and white UN-neutered kitty. no collar, no apparent owners. the black/white cat's a real sweetheart. over the last 2 wks, we've taken to feeding him, and he's 'pretty much here all the time' now. we think he either has a HORRIBLY inattentive owner, or he's 'been deserted here' (happens frequently in our 'hood when university students move away). poor thing, think it might have ear mites - he shakes his head a LOT, like he's trying to shake something out of his ears. scratches his ears too with his paw...we're gonna take him to the vet I think tomorrow, plus, the seasons here are about to change, so when it gets COLD out (winter's comin', goes below freezing, sometimes low as 17 degrees here) we want him indoors, at LEAST nights.

so, our *BIG* question is: if my wife and I go away for a night or two/three, and leave all 3 kitties indoors (at least nights, all night) MIGHT the male cat 'rape' the smaller female fluffy indoor kitty? this question, of course, assumes the 'new' black and white male cat will even COME indoors "without major trauma"... however, if we keep moving the feed dish closer to (and then into) the doorway I don't think that'll be an issue.

I certainly don't want to cause our two 'original' kitties trauma...

any, I'm old enough to know this question wouldn't have any '100% absolute guarantee' type answers, but, I'll sure appreciate advice from folks who may've 'been down this road' before

*thanks* very much,

LIMM

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always neuter the male. Specially if it seems he doesn't have an owner and you are going to be his new family, you should neuter him anyway. You propably don't want him spray marking your house if/when you bring him indoors.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are spayed he cant get them pregnant but I would get him vet checked before bringing him in, he could have a lot worse than just ear mites (as could the cat you allow outdoors) but yes it is likely that he wont realise they are spayed and try to hump them and males can be very aggressive when trying to mate

He may also spray to mark territory, especially if he feels they are 'his females'

I would get him neutered before even considering taking him inside to try and curb some of both these behaviours

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The surgery to "fix" cats is called by different names, depending if they are male or female cats:
Male cats are neutered.
Female cats are spayed.
Or you can refer to both as "fixed".

Just wanted to explain that, as I saw you refer to your females as neutered.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PintaMeez

The surgery to "fix" cats is called by different names, depending if they are male or female cats:
Male cats are neutered.
Female cats are spayed.

Just wanted to explain that, as I saw you refer to your females as neutered.
Neutered is a gender neutral term (in fact the very word Neuter means gender neutral) and is correctly used for both altered male and altered female cats.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Neutered is a gender neutral term (in fact the very word Neuter means gender neutral) and is correctly used for both altered male and altered female cats.

a male is actually castration but that makes men queasy so we just say neutered

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would isolate him completely from your other cats until he's been vetted, neutered and tested for FELV/FIP. If he has ear mites - they can be easily passed to your females.

And if he's been a breeding tom, he could try to breed the females even if they are not in heat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really depends on the cat, I know quite a few breeding boys who live with a neuter (male and female neuters) for company and don't mount them.

Agree with the others, vet him first - also scan for a microchip to see if he's owned.

Originally Posted by PintaMeez

Male cats are neutered.
Female cats are spayed.
We use neutered or desexed for all over here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

limm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he goes to the vet THIS AM, 2 hrs from now. *always* gets me nervous. we 'ordinarily' use a vet that comes to the house (but the vet was just here a month ago or so)...so I have to get him into the 'traveling cage', but guess it'll be alright

took summary notes of all your replies above, guys, and I'll be asking vet/doing all as outlined above. unsure what 'fip' is, but will ask vet as well...

I'll keep you posted, and

thanks very much to all

LIMM

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LIMM

he goes to the vet THIS AM, 2 hrs from now. *always* gets me nervous. we 'ordinarily' use a vet that comes to the house (but the vet was just here a month ago or so)...so I have to get him into the 'traveling cage', but guess it'll be alright

took summary notes of all your replies above, guys, and I'll be asking vet/doing all as outlined above. unsure what 'fip' is, but will ask vet as well...

I'll keep you posted, and

thanks very much to all

LIMM
It's not FIP he will be tested for, but FIV. FeLV/FIV is the blood test for Feline Leukemia (FeLV) and feline Aids (FIV)

FIP is something different and cannot be tested for.

Yes, get him neutered before bringing him in. And if he has mites, your outdoorsy cat (and possibly the indoor one too, if they are cuddly together) may have them too. Mites are contagious

I would normally say "make sure your other cats are up to date on their vaccinations" but you already said they are. I only mention it, because I know a lot of people read here, so it's an important piece of info when bringing in another cat.

Welcome to the forum, and hurray for you for rescuing this cat!