help! my cats are getting tired of raw diet

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have two cats and they were perfectly fine with raw before.
i only feed them raw at night since i have class in the morning and i wouldn't be able to clean up after they finish

i use the nature's variety pre-made products, the chicken flavor at first
and they liked it
but after 2~3 weeks they get tired of it..
so i purchased the other flavor (lamb) and see if they would gain their appetite again by having a new flavor
again...just a little over 1 week they get tired of lamb again

i am wondering how often do you rotate your type of meat when you are feeding raw?

and i am wondering if i should continue using nature's variety or make my own raw diet

i am feeding innova evo mixing with orijen 6 fish flavors for their breakfast (kibbles)

another question..
my cats get diarrhea whenever they have canned food
i have tried a variety of brands too and they always have diarrhea..
i consulted a vet and she and i both agree that they might be allergic to one of the ingredients in canned food
is there any suggestions for good digestive enzymes or solutions to the problems with canned food?

sorry that i have so much questions..
thank you so much for your time and considerations

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned with enzymes or without works for many... Since you are feeding kibble still my guess is they would do fine if you found a simple canned

I have use probios , kyodophlisis , prozyme and others most work just finding one with inactives your okay with

Do you have a butcher who can help you with a raw diet ?? NV IMHO is complicated and I would also look at other brands if you have them accessible to you

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are comfortable with it make your own. Mine all look at me as if I just grew another head when I try feed the same type of meat more than two days in a row.

I use chicken, beef, turkey, pork, lamb, rabbit, lamb heart/beef heart for their meals.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't worry about switching proteins as my organ meat comes from mostly beef, pork and chicken and my bones from mostly chicken, and then pheasant, quail, duck and rabbit when I can get it. I actually try to give as much variety as possible.

I use chicken, turkey, pork, beef, venison, pheasant, quail, duck and hopefully rabbit soon as my protein sources.

I feed a balanced meal minus bone Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and then Monday, Wed, and Friday a balanced meal with bone.

I found it easier to prepackage a completely balanced meal for mine with my schedule.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for replying!

I have went to the supermarket and purchased different kinds of meat and package some from each kind of it for them

hope they will enjoy their meals more!
and what kind of supplement do you add to your raw diet for cats?
if rotate their food (raw, canned, kibble) then do i still have to add the supplement?

i checked some websites and they said instinct TC is easy to use, or add some salmon oil and calcium (bones/dry egg shells) etc..

which one would you suggest?

its so hard to purchase venison in Canada..i barely see any in the supermarkets>< i would love to purchase more variety but i usually only see beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish, veal...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you do the frankenprey method you don't have to supplement (at least I choose not to except for fish oil).

You would use:

80% muscle meat
10% bone
5% liver
5% other secreting organ (brain, kidney, etc.)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you are also adding canned and dry with the raw (like I do) - then you should not need to be adding supplements as they would be in the canned and dry foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO if you are also adding canned and dry with the raw (like I do) - then you should not need to be adding supplements as they would be in the canned and dry foods.
If the raw does NOT exceed 10% of overall diet that is true... otherwise most vets ( the ones with nutrition training ) will suggest it

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all again for replying!!

I fed them ground beef last night and mixed with some canned, they were compeletly fine with it

i am going to feed them some drumsticks tomorrow

another question
when i feed my cats dry food, is it better to mix different brands, or just stick with one..
apparently when i mix 3 brands, sushi gets serious diarrhea..it's the 2nd time this happens ><...and i don't know if its the problem with the new brand of food that im adding in or i cannot mix 3 brands together..@@"..
(but i have the one they always have for 1/2, older one for 1/4, and the new one for 1/4)...

sigh..always worry abou his diarrhea problem and its kind of stressful...espeically when i have so much to do with school and stuff...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With dry its totally different when mixing. You can't just mix the dry quickly. If you are gonna switch, then do it a little at a time. If a cat reacts to the food, you cannot tell which one when you are mixing 2-3 different kinds together.

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for replying!

i am still feeding them raw

it's just that i have to go to class so i would be in rush in the mornings on weekdays so i feed them dry in the morning

i normally mix 2 brands only, i guess i should stick with two brands instead of three

i mix 2 brands cuz my cats are digestive sensitive and they get very nice stools when they eat innova evo, but there are high phosphurs and protein and innova evo, and im scared that they will develop kidney or liver disease from high protein and phosphur..that's why i always mix another brand of dry (usually grain free or organic) with innova evo to reduce risks...

i fed them raw chicken wings today and sushi's diarrhea has improved a lot from having raw food

does everyone here feed their cats raw for every single meal?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sushicat

thank you for replying!

i am still feeding them raw

it's just that i have to go to class so i would be in rush in the mornings on weekdays so i feed them dry in the morning

i normally mix 2 brands only, i guess i should stick with two brands instead of three

i mix 2 brands cuz my cats are digestive sensitive and they get very nice stools when they eat innova evo, but there are high phosphurs and protein and innova evo, and im scared that they will develop kidney or liver disease from high protein and phosphur..that's why i always mix another brand of dry (usually grain free or organic) with innova evo to reduce risks...

i fed them raw chicken wings today and sushi's diarrhea has improved a lot from having raw food

does everyone here feed their cats raw for every single meal?
SOme do feed all raw and NO dry or canned... Many of us do some raw with canned and dry...

I hope you are trying to balance the ca and phos with grain

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed all raw unless I'm a bad meowmy and forget to set some out for the day in which case I feed all wet that day. Not like you can quick defrost raw for a cat--otherwise you've lost all the nutrients and defeated the purpose of raw.

My outdoor cat gets dry and I keep trying canned but after she had her babies she has turned up her nose at it.

Leslie

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed all raw as well and do forget sometimes to get the meat out the day before. For those days I feed raw eggs, they are easy to go quick get and is still raw.

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for replying!

another question! sushi has soft stools from eating chicken thighs
it was thaw but it was still pretty cold
would it possibility be the reason why he has soft stools??

thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
check with the vet .. I use slippery elm and apple pectin for stool issues... if it continues try a different meat

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thx for your reply sharky!

i put both of my cats on digestive enzymes now and they seem to react fine with it

and i fed them ground beef last night and there were just soft stools..not the watery watery dierrhea anymore

i guess i will continue to have them on enyzmes and see if they improve even more!

sushicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i fed my cats nature's variety chicken flavor again and sushi refused to eat it without addition of kibbles .... =(....

sigh* im wondering what i should do with my half-bagged lamb flavor and the remaining 4-meal-worth chicken flavor of NV if he continues to turn his nose up on it...

i feed them ground beef and chicken thighs, wings, and drumsticks in the past few days..they shouldn't be tired of NV..TT__TT..and i don't want to waste the rest of it..

what does everyone do when their cats get tired of one type of raw diet??
do you just throw out the food and starve them to the next meal and let them know that if they don't eat it now they won't have any until the next meal?

or you add kibbles and canned to attract them to eat it?

sorry for so many questions!!
thank you all for answering!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kibble I say feed TOTALLY seprate... canned till they are ready a little mix is fine...

NV might contain something unappling to them