Daily Question: Thurs. Sept. 24

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodmorning. My question today is about memory.

How good is yours? Is your short term memory better than long term memory or ????????

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

How good is yours? Is your short term memory better than long term memory or ????????
My memory is not good at all!
. Apparently bad memories run in my family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My memory stinks.... and its getting worse. Short term memory probs is a common side effect of my anxiety med, but as I've gotten older, my memory has gotten worse.

My short term is horrible..... In fact, I have to write down when I take my meds, otherwise I will forget and double up... did that once, not something I want to do again with that med (luckily the only side effect of doing so was sleepiness but still, lesson learned). Those pill reminder containers used to work when I was taking meds on a schedule, but now its on an "as needed" basis, so I just write down when I do take them.

I have to write lists, multiple reminders of appts. etc.

My long term is better but not great.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My long term is good. Short term....completely different story. Ever since I had my youngest daughter, who just turned 2, my brain has become mush. I have to make lists and reminders for everything.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Mine's pretty average, but nothing to write home about. I'm big on lists at work, but that's more because I tend to forget if too many things suddenly come up.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My memory is like a sponge - it absorbs lots of stuff, but it's also full of holes. I can retain certain facts with amazing skill, but often I'll be talking and just forget simple words that I use all the time.
I'm really bad to lay something down and just completely forget it exists.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got short memmorie but bad to remember faces...

about long term memmorie I should to have because some times needs to remember some special numbers ( Accountand work...)...

Nice question Chris!...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

My memory is like a sponge - it absorbs lots of stuff, but it's also full of holes. I can retain certain facts with amazing skill, but often I'll be talking and just forget simple words that I use all the time.
I'm really bad to lay something down and just completely forget it exists.
my mind is like this also
I have more useless trivia in my brain than I know what to do with, but I forget names all the time and I am always forgetting words. I'll know that I know the perfect word for the situation, but I'll be darned if i can remember it!!
I also do the lay things down somewhere and forget where I put it
I like to think that these are signs of a genius
Einstein was absent-minded

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ha! I've been tested and have very poor short-term memory. However, I've been practicing allot & I think I'm starting to get a little better

Hubby will tell you though I can't remember anything!! He very clearly remembers details from when we first started going out that embarrass me to NO end that I can't remember as well as he does!! I guess I just prefer to live in the moment

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I have better long term memory, like I remember when I was like 2, I was having a nap and my mom got me up and let me go swimming in our little kiddy pool and I wondered where my brother was....odd memory I know! But I cant for the life of me seem to remember to do something when someone tells me to do like in the morning, by the time its the afternoon I forget

pintameez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

My memory is like a sponge - it absorbs lots of stuff, but it's also full of holes.
Good description! LOL
Mine is like this, too. Generally really good, but sometimes, even with lists & notes & reminders, I'll forget appointments or plans or something.
I don't often lose things, though, it's more like I forget about events & appointments & meetings, stuff that isn't ordinary, every-day.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a highly visual thinker and learner. If information is in the correct form I can remember a lot. I tend to remember everything I read, all the way back to passages from books when I was a child. It pops up in my mind like a picture of the page.

Working memory is terrible - I can only multi tasks so much and remember what I'm doing while I do it. I tend to have a lot of problems remembering what I've done and have even had instances where it's a complete gap. Like nothing recorded at all (scary cause I know my blood pressure is probably causing this and a type of seizure has these symptoms.)

I tend to remember little of what I hear unless I have a strong visual to hook it onto. If you list a bunch of stuff off to me there's a chance I'll only remember a couple of things you said.

So overall, my memory is inconsistent. I'm sure most people who think their memories are bad could probably break it down like this and maybe find it's only small parts of their memory that's an issue instead of the whole thing.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My long term memory is very good. In particular, I drive people nuts remembering numbers and dates -- "How can you remember THAT??" "Well, that was the same year as..., etc". I remember faces, and usually the names that go with them, unless it's been a long time, and even then, more often than not, I do make the connection.

Short term is pretty good, too, but I do rely on my PDA to remind me of things. That's mostly about turning it over to something else, so I don't obsess about not forgetting and can just get on with other things until it's time to pay attention.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I remember faces, and usually the names that go with them, unless it's been a long time, and even then, more often than not, I do make the connection.
How does that work? Do you spend a lot of time looking directly at the person's face to memorize it? Are you able to remember people who you've only talked with once or twice and only if 10-15 minutes at the most?

I'm curious how people remember this.

I'm terrible with faces unless a person has a very distinct feature - then I
ll just remember bits and pieces, sort of jumbled up like a Picasso painting. Usually I'll recognize a person from their hair, clothes, or some other feature, but will still have issues with their names. Because I rarely look people in the eye I usually can't recall what eye color a person has - even family members, unless I've looked at a photo of them a lot. I've forgotten what my one aunt's eye color has, what my dead uncle's were (starting to forget most of his face all together), and I can't remember if my mother's are blue-green like my own or more green.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

How does that work? Do you spend a lot of time looking directly at the person's face to memorize it? Are you able to remember people who you've only talked with once or twice and only if 10-15 minutes at the most?

I'm curious how people remember this.

I'm terrible with faces unless a person has a very distinct feature - then I
ll just remember bits and pieces, sort of jumbled up like a Picasso painting. Usually I'll recognize a person from their hair, clothes, or some other feature, but will still have issues with their names. Because I rarely look people in the eye I usually can't recall what eye color a person has - even family members, unless I've looked at a photo of them a lot. I've forgotten what my one aunt's eye color has, what my dead uncle's were (starting to forget most of his face all together), and I can't remember if my mother's are blue-green like my own or more green.
I wish I could tell you how it works, but I don't know. It's not really a conscious thing for me -- some things just stick, if there's the slightest unconscious perception that I might need the information again sometime. If I meet a lot of people all at once, and need to remember the individuals (like a new class of students), I need to pay attention a bit more at first, but that's more about keeping them sorted out than actually remembering.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

My memory is pretty good when it comes to numbers. And things I find significant lol. Hubby wishes there are things I'd forget haha.

When I was in 2nd grade we were doing a safety exercise with an officer at the school on remembering license plates and car descriptions. I'm now 22, and still remember the car and license plate I picked out haha. An 80s black Cadillac, plate 232-KEU.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

When I was in 2nd grade we were doing a safety exercise with an officer at the school on remembering license plates and car descriptions. I'm now 22, and still remember the car and license plate I picked out haha. An 80s black Cadillac, plate 232-KEU.
How are we supposed to know if that's right or not?