TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Should I see a doctor?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I see a doctor? - Page 2

post #31 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
I had an odd thought last night. You have a lot of animals? Farm or some farm type animals - correct? You probably help care for them all, cleaning up after them and handling them?

I wonder just what bacteria you've been exposed to.
Oh yes, I have dogs, guinea pigs, cats, and now several mice, some hens, and my cousin owns a farm where I visit his cows and pigs weekly. I do help clean and love on the animals. Which reminds me, a few months ago, in mid May I was treated for worms. I never knew what kind of worm it was, but my doctor suspected it was from the farm animals I see and I was given some medication that flushed the worms out.
post #32 of 41
I'm glad you've decided to see a doctor. Once again :. I hope things go well. And please tell your doctor everything; I know sometimes people can be shy when they get to the actual consultation. It may help to write down your symptoms and any questions you have. I hope you don't think I'm a pest; I'm just concerned. I'm a nurse (hence the name, nurseangel) but sometimes I get nervous when I go to the doctor and forget to ask him things I really mean to ask.
post #33 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseangel View Post
I'm glad you've decided to see a doctor. Once again :. I hope things go well. And please tell your doctor everything; I know sometimes people can be shy when they get to the actual consultation. It may help to write down your symptoms and any questions you have. I hope you don't think I'm a pest; I'm just concerned. I'm a nurse (hence the name, nurseangel) but sometimes I get nervous when I go to the doctor and forget to ask him things I really mean to ask.
I know what you mean, I forget to ask the doctor important things too!!! Writing them down will help, and so I will. And don't worry--I won't think you a pest and look forward to seeing you reply
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by meminikitty View Post
Oh yes, I have dogs, guinea pigs, cats, and now several mice, some hens, and my cousin owns a farm where I visit his cows and pigs weekly. I do help clean and love on the animals. Which reminds me, a few months ago, in mid May I was treated for worms. I never knew what kind of worm it was, but my doctor suspected it was from the farm animals I see and I was given some medication that flushed the worms out.
Worms?! Do you know if you pick up certain types of parasites in the wrong part of their life cycle, and when they shouldn't be in humans yet, they can go to various parts of the body and form cyst. Such as pork tapeworms causing cysts in human brains (always make sure your pork is fully cooked!)

That's scary. Make sure you're thoroughly checked for anything you could have caught from animals. It's possible that maybe you never really got rid of the worms (treating some of them can be difficult) and they're causing some sort of odd effects now.
post #35 of 41
I was going to say make a list so I am happy you are doing that. As for me and my stroke, that was almost 5 years ago and I am about 98% back to my old self. I can't do overtime at work like I used to since if I get too tired, I have problems speaking. My doctor at the time never even came to see me in the hospital but pawned me off on someone else. That someone is now my doctor. I had an MRI in the hospital but didn't get to see the scan. There was a very small area of my brain in the speech center that was damaged. My doctor and my speech therapist was amazed I bounced back so quickly. But I was determined to get my speech back. I would read aloud to DH every chance I got. No one can tell that I had a stroke, my speech has come back that far but I can tell. I know when I am having problems and I get frustrated. But that is life!

I am glad you are going to the doctor!
post #36 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Worms?! Do you know if you pick up certain types of parasites in the wrong part of their life cycle, and when they shouldn't be in humans yet, they can go to various parts of the body and form cyst. Such as pork tapeworms causing cysts in human brains (always make sure your pork is fully cooked!)

That's scary. Make sure you're thoroughly checked for anything you could have caught from animals. It's possible that maybe you never really got rid of the worms (treating some of them can be difficult) and they're causing some sort of odd effects now.
Worms? But this was several months ago, and my headaches only started 2 weeks ago. In an MRI, could the doctor see worms in my brain? Oh my gosh... that sounded strange!
post #37 of 41
With trypanosomes, which is what you get from pork, they'd be able to, because it makes cysts in your brain. This is pretty rare now though, especially with today's sanitary conditions.

With other things, I'm sure they'd be able to see lesions, at least, and then they'd do something else to find what caused the lesions.
post #38 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
With trypanosomes, which is what you get from pork, they'd be able to, because it makes cysts in your brain. This is pretty rare now though, especially with today's sanitary conditions.

With other things, I'm sure they'd be able to see lesions, at least, and then they'd do something else to find what caused the lesions.
OK, I see
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
With trypanosomes, which is what you get from pork, they'd be able to, because it makes cysts in your brain. This is pretty rare now though, especially with today's sanitary conditions.
Well, she has already had worms once.... I think most of us prefer not to think of just how easy we can get things like that - walking around outside barefoot can even be a risk for some parasites. Or how do you know the person handling your food washed their hands? Just because they're supposed to doesn't mean everyone does.


I'm not saying this is what is going on, meminikitty. But make sure they get as much of your medical history as possible and do mention things like working around a lot of animals. You never know, and neither will a doctor until they test for things.

Does your mother seem receptive to making sure you get to a doctor soon? (I grew up with a dad who preferred to refuse me medical care, so any parent is probably better) Good luck - I won't say I hope they find absolutely nothing wrong, as that won't help you if there is something that needs to be treated. But I really do hope it's something (minor) that is found and treated soon.
post #40 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Well, she has already had worms once.... I think most of us prefer not to think of just how easy we can get things like that - walking around outside barefoot can even be a risk for some parasites. Or how do you know the person handling your food washed their hands? Just because they're supposed to doesn't mean everyone does.


I'm not saying this is what is going on, meminikitty. But make sure they get as much of your medical history as possible and do mention things like working around a lot of animals. You never know, and neither will a doctor until they test for things.

Does your mother seem receptive to making sure you get to a doctor soon? (I grew up with a dad who preferred to refuse me medical care, so any parent is probably better) Good luck - I won't say I hope they find absolutely nothing wrong, as that won't help you if there is something that needs to be treated. But I really do hope it's something (minor) that is found and treated soon.
My mom is going to call the doctor on Monday. My dad did offer to take me today but I didn't have an appointment and I had a test that I couldn't afford to miss. I didn't want to go through the weekend knowing I had a test to do on Monday. Ugh. lol But even if I did agree, we would have most likely driven to the doctor's for nothing because I have no appointment scheduled.
this morning I had a headache and my vision got very blurry. It passed after about 20 seconds. I'm thinking mild migranes?
post #41 of 41
I'm glad you are going to the doctor. A coworker had a headache following the flu and was diagnosed with viral encephalitis. The good news is, she fully recovered and the treatment was time to let it run its course (few weeks). They have more antiviral drugs now, so maybe the time to recovery would be less now. She felt much better after the scan, just knowing it was nothing worse. As for seeing the MRI, the tech showed me the scans of my epileptic dog, Tucker. All I had to do was ask. Different rules may apply for humans. Also, they put the whole scan on CD for me to take to the neurologist. They charged $15 for the CD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Should I see a doctor?