Farm cat pics - Nat the Cat whisperer

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know many do not approve of outdoor only cats, but lets not get into a debate on it. I was walking around the yard, my entourage following, alternating who got carried/petted (if they would let me), & stopping to spend time with those who won't get picked up.

These are my farm kitties - all spayed/neutered.
Fafeena is the 16 y/o dilute calico
Squishy is the 18ish y/o orange & white guy
Slinky is the 11 y/o black/white tuxedo
Goat-Head (Goatie) is the umm....6-8ish y/o buff/white "tuxedo pattern" girl
Billy Bob is the "meatier" 4 y/o black/brown tabby
Tony Bob is the skinnier 4 y/o black/brown tabby
Cow is the 7 y/o buff/buff bi-color
Tabitha is the 9 y/o dilute calico missing most of an ear

"OMG she hasn't fed us in 5 minutes - lets mill around to see if she has something better!"

Billy Bob

Tony Bob

The Bobs

Slinky - domesticated feral - you can pet her, just do not pick her up or move fast - she will kill you

(moved too fast - she hid)

Fafeena

Goatie - yes I know she looks not so hot - we had 2 very cold days so now she's got a URI (on top of having herpes)
She's come a very long way, this summer was the first time I could pick her up & hold her - and this is the first time she's gotten sick that I can get anti-biotics into her (so far) rather than an anti-biotic injection!

"I don't think I can purr any louder or sink my claws any deeper into your flesh - but don't stop petting me"

Moo Cow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tabitha was not included in the pics - I let Squishy & Fafeena out of the enclosure (supervised), but she can never be released as she remains very feral & if she gets loose I'm doubtful I'll ever catch her again. She does, however, love her PVC tube.

And does come out sometimes when she feels it's "safe" - but even if she's literally freezing her ears off, if she doesn't feel safe she won't come out - no matter *how* cold (hence having most of an ear gone).

She's my "work in progress" - there are times she's a domesticated cat, but more often than not she's a wild cat that lacks some basic survival skills, yet is very adept as using her claws.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I know many do not approve of outdoor only cats, but lets not get into a debate on it.
Nat, the difference is you have acres of land away from busy roads. Theres fields behind me, but a busy road during the day so theres no way i could let mine go out

Look at them though, their nice and fat and happy!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Surely nobody would question your having outdoor cats!!??! These are kitties who would be dead if it wasn't for you, they have as much safety as you can give them, and I'd like to see anyone try to keep them indoors only

They are all looking very happy - I love the Bobs

I love that they all follow you around as well!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat - who could argue with success? Their coats are gorgeous - as Susan points out, they're fat and happy - and you have an enclosure for those who need medical attention or supervision.
Most importantly? They're SAFE. And well cared for! And let's face it - you "inherited" most of them, and worked so hard to get them where they all are now!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disapprove of outdoor cats in most instances, but there are always exceptions. Your cats are mostly healthy (minus URI, aww), well fed, and well loved, and you live out in the country. Your outdoor cats have better lives than the indoor cats of many people.

Kudos to you and your bunch. They're adorable.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a lovely group of healthy barn cats!!!

Hey, I'm a horse person, I completely understand the need for barn cats!
It's so good to see a healthy well maintained population. The barn I was at had a great assortment of about 13 or so with new ones showing up every now and again - all spayed/neutered out of pocket & the owner did NOT have allot of money for it.

I keep trying to say the ginger is my favourite, but the tabbys are so cute and then the tux is so cute - even goatie is adorable!!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
of cute cats! They are obviously loved and well taken care of. Did my heart good to see them!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how Ms. Fafeena was doing. All things considered she looks to be doing well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I was wondering how Ms. Fafeena was doing. All things considered she looks to be doing well.
Fafeena's doing pretty good. She's finally putting more weight on. Seems to be eating wet food just fine, and best as I can tell eating dry food good. She & Squishy are antsy being in the enclosure all the time, so I've been letting them out as much as possible. She caught a mouse today with no teeth.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barn cats are, literally, the reason we have house cats today. That's how cats started their long partnership with man, and they are often truly "work cats" today. And not all cats are cut out to be indoor cats. We occasionally have some at our shelter that are perfectly good, healthy cats, but aren't suited to the indoor life. There is a Barn Cat Rescue in our area who will take them from us, vet them, and place them with people in the area who need working cats. Usually these people have horse barns which need rodent patrol. Much more effective than poisons, and much safer.

I'm always amazed at how well cats and horses usually get along.

And I have fond memories of my grandfather milking his cows with the barn cats standing in a row, waiting for their squirt of milk.

I don't know if my mom ever got a picture of it, but this is what it looks like:

http://orlop.net/2009/1206/squirt/

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise

She caught a mouse today with no teeth.
Toothless hunters of the world Unite!

I'm glad to see Fafeena's doing better. I grew up in a rural area with several barn cats and if you have a barn, they're priceless.

Your outdoor kitties are adorable.
They all look healthy and contented - what more can a cat ask for?

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, I was waiting for a video of you bounding over a hillside followed by a pack of 37 cats!
Love seeing pics of your adorable kitties.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Over here it's usually the opposite, people don't undertand why I don't let my cats out!

I love seeing pics like this, I had a semi feral foster go live on a farm earlier this year and I'd like to imagine that he's having the kind of life you're giving yours! You're one of the people I really admire here, I love your posts about the work you do!

Oh and lol at the Bobs!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Fafeena's doing pretty good. She's finally putting more weight on. Seems to be eating wet food just fine, and best as I can tell eating dry food good. She & Squishy are antsy being in the enclosure all the time, so I've been letting them out as much as possible. She caught a mouse today with no teeth.
WTG Fafeena

All your kitties look great Nat