My first ever rant!!

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We were trying to do the right thing
Just have to get this out !!!

On the way back from the shop today, we found a cheque in the road. It was made out to the school near us, from what i could tell from the slip that was with it, it was for a school trip costing £35. So, We decided to do the right thing and hand it in to the school. I never went on any school trips as my family couldn't really afford them and i didn't have a good time at school anyway.

So, we went into the school to hand this slip and cheque in, and went to the main reception. We had to sign in, which is fair enough. I had the cheque in my hand, and explained how we had found it outside in the road nearby. Well, the woman snatched it out of my hand and then said 'you can leave now' !!!! Not a thank you in sight!!
We didn't expect a medal or anything but just a thank you would of been nice. We didnt didn't HAVE to take it in. We just though that it was the right thing to do. The thought of a little school girl, 1) possibly getting into trouble with her parents for loosing it and 2) Possibly not being able to go on whatever this trip was due to loosing the cheque also made us hand this in. Quite possibly this receptionist was having a bad day, but there is no real excuse for rudeness, i dont think.

There, i fell better now !!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a simple thank you wouldnt of gone a miss!! some people have no manners.

Good for you, you did the right thing theres not many people left like that nowadays

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by caitsith

WWell, the woman snatched it out of my hand and then said 'you can leave now' !!!! Not a thank you in sight!!
I read someday in a place this quote:...

"Is bad to give a bad service.....
BUT IS WORTS if you don´t know why......"

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have asked to see the Principal. That kind of rudeness should not be tolerated, particularly when you were doing them a favour. I personally would not let her get away with this. If she is like this to others as well, it is a black mark on the whole school and since she is the first person one meets at the school, her attitude is very important. Report her!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have called her on her attitude right then and there. There is no reason for people to be rude and disrespectful to others.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would at least call the administration to ask if they got the check. Tell somebody higher up than the receptionist what happened and say you're just following up because you want to know that the child was able to go on the trip.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the lady who worked in the office at my high school. She was very rude and everyone hated going to see her. She is still there and now my sister has to deal with her.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I would at least call the administration to ask if they got the check. Tell somebody higher up than the receptionist what happened and say you're just following up because you want to know that the child was able to go on the trip.
This. Please keep us updated too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really not any business to a stranger what happens to the child. Showing too much interest may come off as odd to school administration, and more so to the parents if they find out some stranger was asking about their child.

All of the receptionists I had at schools were rude, exceptionally so to many parents - unless the child's parents were rich and they could trick them into helping fund things for the school. I thought it was a requisite trait.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would have asked to see the Principal. That kind of rudeness should not be tolerated, particularly when you were doing them a favour. I personally would not let her get away with this. If she is like this to others as well, it is a black mark on the whole school and since she is the first person one meets at the school, her attitude is very important. Report her!
Yes!! I agree with this!! Please report her. That was so rude of her.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's really not any business to a stranger what happens to the child. Showing too much interest may come off as odd to school administration, and more so to the parents if they find out some stranger was asking about their child.
I hadn't really considered that. I live in a small town where everybody is expected to show interest in the kids (and every other part of your life
). Around here I would expect the parent to want to thank the person who found the check.

I still think the OP should follow up on it. If nothing else, the administration should be aware that the receptionist is giving people a bad impression of the school.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I hadn't really considered that. I live in a small town where everybody is expected to show interest in the kids (and every other part of your life
). Around here I would expect the parent to want to thank the person who found the check.

I still think the OP should follow up on it. If nothing else, the administration should be aware that the receptionist is giving people a bad impression of the school.
Yeah, it's definitely different in a small town.
Maybe it would help, and maybe it wouldn't. Here those type of jobs usually go to someone's sister's cousin's niece's sister - or whatever nonsensical combination you can come up with. Family rarely does anything against family.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many people these days need to be reminded that manners NEVER go out of style!
I agree that you should call the principal and just make sure that the check was turned in. Let him/her know how you were treated and this is why your concerned.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much effort does it take to say "thank you"? Yes, do report it to the Principal -- if for no other reason than that he/she should want to know about any bad attitude on the part of his/her employees, particularly towards the public.