A little confused... need some help

butch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At the beginning of the month I noticed Precious was ripping out his fur and had a huge scab on his back. Well I made an appointment for the vet (which is for next month.. go figure). Well over the month my wife left with the other kitten. Well today I look and there is no scab and the fur is growing back. Could something like this happen from stress or something else? Since she left hes seem happier and getting his playfulness back. He was lonely for a bit there But I got a new little girl (Lily) and they play together now. But could stress cause him to rip out fur like that?

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No matter what I would still recommend getting a check-up at the vet, but yes stress can make a cat pull their hair out. If there is major tension in the air they can sense it and do all kinds of acting out. Even some forms of self-mutilation isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t out of the ordinary. Maybe someone was a little mean to him during a high stressed period?? I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what the situation was/is but it sounds like heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ok now.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BABZ

No matter what I would still recommend getting a check-up at the vet, but yes stress can make a cat pull their hair out. If there is major tension in the air they can sense it and do all kinds of acting out. Even some forms of self-mutilation isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t out of the ordinary. Maybe someone was a little mean to him during a high stressed period?? I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what the situation was/is but it sounds like heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ok now.

I would still keep an eye on it, and mention it to your vet when you go.

Best wishes that it was just an isolated incident.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do tell the vet, and I'd keep the appointment for sure, but stress could indeed do that. Here's hoping for better days ahead for you both.