How to keep cat indoors

wedbby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm new to the forum and about to adopt a kitten this Thursday. I've had experience with cats before and sadly my last cat was ran over
He was a stray and I took him in and as much as I tried keeping him in, he wanted out.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep cats from wanting to go out so bad? or helpful tips to keep them inside. thanks!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually if they never go out they usually don't want to. My Clyde was always indoor and he was scared to death of the outside world. If he is really curious you will have to make sure not to leave windows and doors open. Someone will have some better advice for you, sorry.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guard the door and be mindful to securely latch and close the door when you enter/leave. A firm "No!" when they approach the door and removing the kitty to a more appropriate place will also train the kitty to stay away from the door. Never give the kitty an opportunity to get out the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wedbby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you to ur replies!

I will post pics of my little one as soon as i pick him up on thursday
I'm so stumped on a name for him!

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that if he is a kitten then you shouldn't have an issue. One thing is though, if you do start to take him outside even while your holding him he will just get curious and want to slowly go out more and more. This is just what I've learned through the years of having cats. And even though he'll be an indoor kitty please don't forget to get him some ID right away!
Can't wait to see your pictures! I bet once you see his personality his name will come to you!
Congratulations on your new addition!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with others here - don't let them even have a taste of the out-of-doors, that way, they won't know what they're missing and be less likely to want to go out.

Hopefully your kitten will have been, or is, altered - so it won't have natural urgings to get out.

Ours are fearful of the outside sounds, so when the door is open they are reluctant to try and get out. Only on the rare occasion, when I open the door and a cricket decides to show itself do I have to tell them to get back just so they remember that they are about to leave their safe place.

The only time they go out is in a carrier, and usually to the vet - kinda scary adventure outside.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wedbby

Hello! I'm new to the forum and about to adopt a kitten this Thursday. I've had experience with cats before and sadly my last cat was ran over
He was a stray and I took him in and as much as I tried keeping him in, he wanted out.

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep cats from wanting to go out so bad? or helpful tips to keep them inside. thanks!
DON'T LET THEM OUT! Pure and simple Indoorc cats live 5 years longer than cats that sneak outside. Do the research on the internet and right here on TCS. Screen your windows. Always watch when a door opens. You are actually smarter than your cat. You can keep him from getting out. He will live much longer and be much healthier as an indoor only cat.
My two cats are soooo healthy, they have never been outside.

One thing about TCS, we always have lots of friendly debates here and I enjoy them. But I have never ever seen anybody claim that an outdoor cat is more healthy and lives longer than an indoor cat. Anybody that can find one single thread saying this I will send you ten thoursand points and admit I am not always right. PM me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wedbby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no I'm not letting my new little one out for NOTHING! My heartache after losing my last cat was waaaaay too painful. So far he has no urges to go out. I've noticed he doesnt really pay much attention to outside.

We have a big screen door that leads to the patio and he'll look outside for a bit but then loses interest. Same thing with windows. I'm considering buying him one of those window shelves for cats though.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
window shelf, or a table at the window is good - especially if he can collect the Vitamin D from the sun - I always try to provide sunshine for my cats to "bathe" in.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

A window shelf is so worth getting. As soon as I put one up, my Mowgli knew what it was and that it was his and only his.
He loves to soak up the sun and sleep for hours in it.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we take Squeaky outside through the door, we always put her harness on first, pick her up and carry her out the door. Anytime she approaches the door on her own as we're heading out, she gets a firm NO! and a squirt with water. She is allowed to go out on the balcony on her own power, but we only ever open that door when we go out, so we're always with her and there's no chance of escape.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as you keep your kitty strictly indoor only, I don't think you'd need to worry much about it. Make sure to always "watch-out" every time doors or windows open, though.

Ku Ku was a feral and certainly still looks outside through windows once in a while but seems she has no interest of actually getting outside at all.
I guess she's now used to the luxury of indoor-life, getting regularly fed and been taken care of(thanx to meowmy, lol), she does not wanna go back to the rough outdoor-feral life anymore

simonsadie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken in strays and have kept them in the upstairs only for the first few months so they got used to only being indoors. If you can't do that, have a squirt bottle or better yet, a can with some coins in it and when the door is opened, shake the can to scare them and it should discourage them from going near the door. Good luck!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides all of the above, provide your kitty with plenty of entertainment... Scratching posts, cat trees if possible, window sills, wall shelves if possible, toys... make use of your vertical space, and make your home interesting for him. If you can, get him a playmate... all these things will keep him busy and make him a happier, healthier kitty. Also, check your window and door screens - make sure they are pet safe - the ones in my apartment are made of metal, and they lock into place; the kitties can not get through it even if they try really hard... If the screen door is made of nylon and do not have a lock, don't put your trust on it to hold your kitty inside...
An indoor kitty will be way healthier and consequently happier than an outside kitty fighting for survival - no questions about it.

jaanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We put "Indoor Only Cat" on the tag of our kitten along with the name and phone number, just in case she does excape.

Our older cat, a rescue from the shelter, was obviously an outdoor cat before coming to us. She has given up on trying to get outside after a couple of years. So, eventually the cats know where they belong. So far, our kitten has never tried to get out. The tag is a precaution.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Five years extra life is a conservative guess. In most U.S. settings, the average outdoor cat (of course, this includes kitten mortality) lives about 6 months. The average indoor cat lives nearly 15 years.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Five years extra life is a conservative guess. In most U.S. settings, the average outdoor cat (of course, this includes kitten mortality) lives about 6 months. The average indoor cat lives nearly 15 years.
do you know where your got that stat?? Most of the literature I have read says 3-5 yrs for a typical outdoor cat .

I personally have always had indoor /outdoor cats and the youngest I have lost one was 14 typically the hit 18-19 /// BUT they are TRAINED to the yard ....

Currently I have 5 cats 4 are indoor only one is indoor outdoor .... if they gain five years they will be some old cats
this is only till I get a enclosure fully done for them..As two were adopted as INDOOR only cats

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the other replies and advice just keep him away from the doors, I myself have lost a cat after a car accident, she just wandered accross the road all the time and no matter how much I tried to keep her in she didn't want to stay in, even got out of windows, I currently have a kitty who keeps crossing the road and its painful to see but she is too old now to keep her indoors. I have been told though that if cat are born wanderers then they will do it, I disagree, keep your kitty in and spoil him rotten (which I am sure you will do anyway), can't wait to see pics.xx

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

do you know where your got that stat?? Most of the literature I have read says 3-5 yrs for a typical outdoor cat .

I personally have always had indoor /outdoor cats and the youngest I have lost one was 14 typically the hit 18-19 /// BUT they are TRAINED to the yard ....

Currently I have 5 cats 4 are indoor only one is indoor outdoor .... if they gain five years they will be some old cats
this is only till I get a enclosure fully done for them..As two were adopted as INDOOR only cats
The oldest cat we ever had was an indoor/outdoor cat. He lived to be nineteen years old and to top it off he ate Special Kitty his whole life and actually refused to eat anything else. Indoor/outdoor though he may have been, he could not hunt. He seemed convinced that he should be able to bound across the yard and what ever prey he was after should sit and wait for him to get there. Other more savvy cats used to bring him mice to play with.

But yes, if you keep your kitten indoors he will never want out in the big scary world.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of toys, some perches, lots of love and attention
Two kittens are better than one.