Bugsy is too chubby to clean his part properly - ideas?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bugsy is on a Diet/exercise program, but he is still too chubby to clean his parts properly...
I am mostly concerned with his pee-pee area... he runs from cat wipes like the devil runs from the cross, so I don't know if that stings?
Is there anybody else here with that problem? What should I do to help him?
Basically he HATES anything I force him into - like... Impossible to pill, to brush his teeth... Nearly impossible to clip his nail, and so on... My point is, I do want to keep his bum clean, but I don't want to traumatize him....
Ideas? What should I use for that purpose?
Thanks!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm.....how about getting him in the restraining position (kneel on floor, cross legs behind you, hold cat between knees, facing out) Have a warm damp paper towel ready.

Hold onto him with one hand, slip your hand with the paper towel under/behind him and give a quick swipe, from below-up. Two if you can, before he bolts.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Baby wipes, there is no reason they would sting.

I'm assuming he's no good for a bath so a bum-dip wouldn't help?

You could borrow our dog Kayla - she's a super-duper kitten bum cleaner

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are using wipes, be sure they are hypoallergenic, no alcohol or fragrance.

And wipes will be cold. I prefer a warm damp paper towel. Has to be a good brand, like Bounty, though, not a cheap brand, as the cheap brands shred and leave bits and lint behind.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not look into the sanitary shave such as mentioned in another thread? If he can't stay clean enough there is some worry of possible infection, so that would warrant getting a cut.
Bugsy would need to be sedated for this, so if you can go through your vet (who I hope you trust) that would be easier.

Here the tranq cost $30 but the groomer only charged $5 for her quick buzz.

It'll make clean up a lot easier, and those times that you're not at home after he uses the litter box to be not as messy.

I don't follow all the threads here - are you working on Bugsy's weight? Does he like to play?

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

And wipes will be cold. I prefer a warm damp paper towel. Has to be a good brand, like Bounty, though, not a cheap brand, as the cheap brands shred and leave bits and lint behind.
I have to agree on the Bounty, I've used it on my son a few times when I ran out of baby-wipes it works great!!

If you sticking with baby wipes & concerned about the cold (which is very true!) you can get a "wipe warmer" for about $25 from Toys-r-us or Walmart.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I already do this with mine with warm wash cloth, warm water and diluted organic apple cider vinegar, just to keep the cats clean. You could try to do Bugsy while he is sleeping. After a few practices, you should be able to quickly wipe him down before he realizes. I would do it daily. He may even adjust to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I already do this with mine with warm wash cloth, warm water and diluted organic apple cider vinegar, just to keep the cats clean. You could try to do Bugsy while he is sleeping. After a few practices, you should be able to quickly wipe him down before he realizes. I would do it daily. He may even adjust to it.
Pami - I like this idea... How dilute are we talking about here?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use about a tblsp. per cup of water. I use a separate wash cloth for each kitty.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

You can use about a tblsp. per cup of water. I use a separate wash cloth for each kitty.
Thanks Pami - that's what I am going to do

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Mowgli has this issue. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a manx and was born with spinal issues. He is a plump little guy, but even if he wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t he still couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t bend in order to clean his ‘junkâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]. He also has severe bowel problems and kidney problems so he can be such a mess. If he has a dirty bum it upsets him so (and me) that the stress makes his issues even worse. The absolutely best thing I started to do was shave his bottom big time. He has no inkling of a tail, just a …….well my dad even calls him ‘bulls-eye buttâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] now!
Mowgli is so much happier now and so am I. It really keeps me from having to mini bathe him everyday. Now I just use the hypoallergenic baby wipes on his bottom as needed and this really cuts down on the amount of time I need to wipe him. Yes, he still sometimes growls or hisses, but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s over before he can get two of them out.

As for the shaving part I use a small horse trimmer. It wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t cut them and the noise is much softer than the dog/cat grooming trimmers. It took a few times, but now once I get started he's not to bad about it. Doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t LOVE it, but does tolerate it.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he doesn't cooperate well, you might try cleaning him while he is eating. I do my 'dirty deeds' while my cats eat. (Ears, Nails, Advantage, ect)

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BABZ

My Mowgli has this issue. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a manx and was born with spinal issues. He is a plump little guy, but even if he wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t he still couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t bend in order to clean his ‘junkâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]. He also has severe bowel problems and kidney problems so he can be such a mess. If he has a dirty bum it upsets him so (and me) that the stress makes his issues even worse. The absolutely best thing I started to do was shave his bottom big time. He has no inkling of a tail, just a …….well my dad even calls him ‘bulls-eye buttâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] now!
Mowgli is so much happier now and so am I. It really keeps me from having to mini bathe him everyday. Now I just use the hypoallergenic baby wipes on his bottom as needed and this really cuts down on the amount of time I need to wipe him. Yes, he still sometimes growls or hisses, but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s over before he can get two of them out.

As for the shaving part I use a small horse trimmer. It wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t cut them and the noise is much softer than the dog/cat grooming trimmers. It took a few times, but now once I get started he's not to bad about it. Doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t LOVE it, but does tolerate it.
* I think I fell asleep in there somewhere
Sorry, I missed telling you that the way I got him started in letting me shave him was some meds. The doctor gave me something to relax him so we didn't have to put him out. There are anxiety meds and OTC homeopathic drops that you can give them. You can just put it in their water or put it in a little tuna water. This helped the first couple of times and now he tolerates it. Now to wipe him I usually wait until he's eating, but sometimes he so messy that I have to wipe him as soon as he exits the litterbox.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.... Bugsy is not that bad.... not all of the time anyways, because I have been able to control his digestive problems pretty well with diet and pre/pro biotics and enzymes....
He actually did pretty well with the washcloth with the ACV... For a minute or two I thought he was enjoying it.
I think this is the plan I will follow - I won't put him through more stress them the necessary. This will work.
Thank you all!!