Kitty Kaviar....Ick!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I went to the pet store to buy a new brush for Siamie. (She loves having her hair combed.) They had this stuff called Kitty Kaviar in a can and it was 75% off. I thought the cats might like to try something new, so of course I bought it. Well, when I got home, I noticed I could smell it before I even opened the can. And stink it did. I was expecting these cute little fish shaped treats, and instead it's these disgusting paper thin pieces of dried fish...or something! The cats didn't know what to make of it. They thought it was something alive. Nobody's eating it, but it was worth the $1.50 to watch them bat it around and jump away like it might bite.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my cats is 'addicted' to that stuff. i have to sprinkle some on her food before she eats. the guy at the store where i buy it calls it kitty crack.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two that are addicted to it. I tend to buy it 6 cans at a time.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOl..that is one of my top selling treats, and in my house, that open can will get your hand slapped by a paw really, really fast

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only cat who has yet to try it is my Siamese. Maybe the others will taste it when they figure out it's not dangerous.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

The only cat who has yet to try it is my Siamese. Maybe the others will taste it when they figure out it's not dangerous.
I've made little "sushi" balls using a ground cat food that I shape into small little meatballs and then roll in the kitty kaviar. It was my "birthday" present to Patrick on one of his last birthdays

Some folks crumble the flakes atop food - makes a good appetite stimulator for some kitties.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think once they start eating them you won't be able to get them to stop.

Freeze-dried anchovies was one of Riki's (
) favourite treats!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are bonito tuna flakes...mmmm. Tasty. For humans, too, although I don't know if the Kitty Kaviar stuff is meant for humans to eat. I agree; once your kitties taste it, you won't be able to chase them away when they smell it. If they can get over thier fear of scary tuna flakes first!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls are nuts about it too.
At first they weren't sure of it; but after putting some on top of their wet food they gobble it right up and then some.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes -the dried bonito flakes. The cats love it. Try putting some on their food, as others have suggested. You can also get human grade bonito flakes at places like Whole Foods, etc... I think it's a little less expensive than the kitty kaviar - not on sale.

I gave my boys a treat tonight. Stopped at the high end pet store in town and got Wellness turkey jerky. At first the boys didn't know what to make of it.. then they chewed up the little bits and..... wow!!! Ghost went mad for them!!! Couldn't gobble them up fast enough!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one of those recently on sale too... It smelled so bad I thought it must be "off" and the cats wouldn't touch it which is weird because they have had bonito flakes before and they liked those... The Kitty Kaviar smelled nothing like the other bonito flakes I'd had for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I got one of those recently on sale too... It smelled so bad I thought it must be "off" and the cats wouldn't touch it which is weird because they have had bonito flakes before and they liked those... The Kitty Kaviar smelled nothing like the other bonito flakes I'd had for cats.
That's what I thought, too. I've never bought any other bonito flakes, so I wasn't sure what Kitty Kaviar was supposed to smell like.