Ruby's home! Pics

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruby is settling in nicely. We're waiting for her 4 foot tall seperate playpen to arrive so she can hang out on the porch with us in the afternoons. Her playpen on top of her cage is too tall and she gets bossy because she's taller than we are. Funny, she's not even 5 months and already wanting to control things.

I've been researching like crazy to make sure we don't make any mistakes with her. What I've found out so far, is that she's smart as a whip.

Some pics taken this evening:

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful, Nial.

Will you be around the weekend of Oct 23-25th? I'll be headed to the beach that weekend and would love to finally make that visit I've been threatening.

Oh, and I may have a new cat...just posted in "What's New Pussycat."

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! Ruby is beautiful!!! What are your cats reactions to her? She is probably going to repeat things that you say in your home. I can just imagine what a birds vocabulary would be in my house

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous. Ahh birds and talking. Had a friend in high school whose grandma has many birds including a macaw, we always would teach them cuss words and then completely deny it when her grandma would ask why the birds were calling her foul names. She always left the radio on when she went to work, and we'd argue they learned it on the radio. I could never own a bird as it would repeat horrible things around my mother in law.

Leslie

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Look at those stunning colors!!!! How are you going to convince the bengals that she isn't a Da Bird come to life? Although one swipe of that beak would give them something to think about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

So far the bengals are ignoring her, aside from Darcy, a silver kitten, she is fascinated with Ruby's long tail and wants to touch it. Ruby grumbles at her and she backs off. Runner the MC was raised with parrots, so he could care less.

We will getting Ruby DNA sexed once she's completely comfortable with us and her new home.

She is already attempting to say "hello" and does this when we come into the kitchen and she hasn't seen us for awhile, or when we approach her cage.

Doing our best not to say anything around her that we don't want her repeating. Macaws don't have the vocab that a yellow nape or an african gray would have. I think macaws are limited to around 100 words, vs 1000 for the other birds.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my husband's patients (he does home health physical therapy) has a macaw that literally "rules the roost." Very good vocabulary, but the funniest thing he does is make a sound like gunfire if the dogs get too close! That scares the dogs away and he continues on with his day.

Ruby is BEAUTIFUL---what a gem!

C

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Thanks everyone!

Doing our best not to say anything around her that we don't want her repeating. Macaws don't have the vocab that a yellow nape or an african gray would have. I think macaws are limited to around 100 words, vs 1000 for the other birds.
Having seen some of your videos where a darling bengal kitten was chattering because he/she couldn't get something, what are you going to do when Ruby starts "talking" like a bengal? This is going to be fun!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - He/she is BEAUTIFUL!!! Welcome home!!! So, personality wise, how's the little one?