Curious: what do you do to prevent....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catching virus's and colds, etc.?

Do you do anything different than normal?

With 2 school aged children I get exposed to many different "bugs". Come fall time there's a few things we try to do more frequently:

- using lysol wipes, we wipe down all bathroom doorknobs, the door knobs going in and out of the house, as well as the fridge, and telephone.

- preach more about washing hands, and keep hand sanitiser on us at most times (in a pocket or purse)

- take multivitamins (normally some of us don't do it during the spring/summer)

- I take Oil of Oregano once a wk unless I start getting sick.... plus additional vitamin C.

- yes we do also get flu shots (this is not the place to debate them, and I am one who believes they do help).

- try to get sleep. I am one of those people that if I don't sleep well (frequent occurance) I will catch whatever someone else has.

- in general, take better care of ourselves + vitamins/supplements and slightly more cleaning.

How bout you guys? Any tips/tricks ya'll have for staying "sick-free" throughout the flu season?

In the last 5 yrs, I've had the actual flu once, strep throat one, and several colds.

My children have never had the actual flu, but have had colds/virus's that have needed medical attention (in the last 5yrs, once for Kendra, twice for Kayleigh). So I'd like to think that something we are doing helps

Mark, is a lucky booger and gets sick maybe once ever 2-3yrs if that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I take multivitamins I'll vomit - so that's a no go.

All I do is try to avoid very close contact with someone who is sick and atomizing the virus into the air via sneezing. But a sneeze can spread several feet, so it's hard to avoid completely.

Avoiding visits to the doctor or hospital if possible. You'll be exposed there.

I don't and never have shared drinks or food with people, aside from DH now. I never understood that growing up - some things you just don't share.

Otherwise, nothing. Viruses have been around a long time. Millions of years of evolution have made them pretty good at infecting their target species. Short of a quarantine, you can't keep everyone carrying it away. Life's too short to try.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont tend to get bad i get a cold once in a blue moon i just have plenty garlic and vitamin c from fruit, i dont take all these multi vitamins because i eat a healthy balanced diet

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably makes no sense to anyone else, but my entire family believes that if you stay warm- wear enough clothes- you will prevent a cold. Every time I get sick I get yelled at by my mom or grandma, telling me that I don't wear enough clothes, I wear just a T shirt when they think I should have multiple jackets, etc. Maybe staying warm avoids stresses to your immune system? I really don't understand it but they all believe that!
When I was a kid my mom made lots of herbal tea for me, camomile or other random herbs, and also made me eat garlic which I hated. But she still uses this, every time it's flu season she starts making herbal tea and eating raw garlic with her meal. Lol I feel like all this stuff if superstitions rather than real preventions!! Sorry I didn't contribute much to this thread..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about the warm thing, but garlic has a lot of antioxidants and heaps of things in it that are good for you. I know it helps with cholesterol. So that may be one of those superstitious things that has a basis in fact somewhere along the line.

We take multi-vitamins and immune booster stuff all the time these days. Gary's OCD, so we live with hard surfaces that receive too much antibacterial stuff.

DEFINITELY after shopping we immediately use hand wipes as soon as we walk out a store - use those a lot.

We're going to get the flu shot this year - first time.

Otherwise... I mostly just try to make sure I get enough sleep. I'm someone who is (usually) able to if Gary and cats let me.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I eat healthy, in hopes to be healthier. I wash my hands.
So nothing special.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

catching virus's and colds, etc.?

Do you do anything different than normal?
Unfortunately I haven't succeeded this year! I have the worse cold right now. Yesterday started with post nasal drip and I thought it was an allergy. Today the same thing, but more coughing. By the end of work I was stuffed up, and my nose was running too. And my ears itched and my throat was sore and scratchy. Plus I am sneezing up a storm and blowing my nose like crazy! I told my manager I'm sick for tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Unfortunately I haven't succeeded this year! I have the worse cold right now. Yesterday started with post nasal drip and I thought it was an allergy. Today the same thing, but more coughing. By the end of work I was stuffed up, and my nose was running too. And my ears itched and my throat was sore and scratchy. Plus I am sneezing up a storm and blowing my nose like crazy! I told my manager I'm sick for tomorrow.
oh yuck.

Feel better soon

I'll say to you what I say to anyone else: Oil of Oregano. It tastes like crap (I mix mine so I don't taste it) but in my experiences with me and my kids, it helps dramatically. I take it as soon as I get the nasal drip, or itchy ears or scratchy throat, and bout 90% of the time, it doesn't get worse. If it does, I keep taking the OO and within 3 days I'm good as new.

Google it while you're off sick.... It is worth the $ IMHO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I eat healthy, in hopes to be healthier. I wash my hands.
So nothing special.
I change what I eat when I'm sick....

I eat more foods with vit C, more liquids/spices, etc. than normal.

People underestimate the healing power of proper diet

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't think I get colds often. Most of the time, I get sinus infections that are cleared up with antibiotics, otherwise I have symptoms for over a month. When I take my sinus/allergy medication regularly, I'm fine.

And I had the flu when I was 9, then again 6 years ago, and that's it. I don't do anything special. Might just be young and lucky enough. *shrug*

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I change what I eat when I'm sick....

I eat more foods with vit C, more liquids/spices, etc. than normal.

People underestimate the healing power of proper diet
I think it's funny how people start eating healthy when they get sick.

I don't take any extra anything. I eat what I always do and if I'll sometimes stock up on curry/OJ when I'm sick but it's just a mind thing, for me.

I very rarely get sick but then again I sleep lots because I'm so drugged up on anti-histimines because of my allergies, every day.

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use hand sanitizer A LOT. I keep one in my purse at all times. I wash my hands when I get home. I also try to eat a healthy diet with lots of raw fruits and vegetables.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wash hands wash hands wash hands!

Keep hand sanitizer in the car to use when I come out of grocery store, use the wipes grocery store provides to wipe cart before shopping.

Take air borne before going to the gym.

Get enough rest/sleep and exercise. Get outside as much as possible.

cool thread idea!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Wash hands wash hands wash hands!

Keep hand sanitizer in the car to use when I come out of grocery store
That's pretty much what I do, I wash my hands throughout the day and always before eating. Have sanitiser in the car for after handling money or shopping trolleys.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to avoid getting a cold or virus where I work. People come in sick all the time as the company I work for has a strict attendance policy. I have a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk. After washing my hands in the restroom, I will use the paper towel to open the door and still use sanitizer.

I couple of months ago, I went in to work sicker than a dog because I didn't want to be put on a step. I just stayed away from people as much as possible. I think if you have the sick hours built up, you should be able to use them without being in trouble. I have over 100 built up, but if I go over 32 hours in a rolling 6 month period, I can get in trouble.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a cold, and i am hoping not to get an ear infection as it feels sore and itchy.
working in a medical clinic does not help!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to laugh when people say they take extra vitamin C - you are just paying to pee vitamins. Your body will only take what it needs, and usually what you eat is enough. I agree with Sam - it is funny how people eat healthy when they get sick.

People take wipes or alcohol hand cleansers...but what about the airbourne stuff?

I say if I am going to get sick, then I will get sick. Not too much I can do about that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I have to laugh when people say they take extra vitamin C - you are just paying to pee vitamins. Your body will only take what it needs, and usually what you eat is enough. I agree with Sam - it is funny how people eat healthy when they get sick.

People take wipes or alcohol hand cleansers...but what about the airbourne stuff?

I say if I am going to get sick, then I will get sick. Not too much I can do about that.
They had a doctor on CBC one morning talking about folks taking vitamin pills. He pretty much said they aren't that good - that it is better to eat foods with those vitamins in them as your body can absorb them that way. My family doctor when Jennifer was a baby/child pretty much said the same thing - that if she was getting proper nutrition we shouldn't have to supplement with vitamin pills. He said that we carry the virus on our person/clothing from being in public so if we are going to get sick, we'll get sick.

Since flu viruses are airborne, if it's in the air and you are susceptible, you will get it - period. I'm hesitant to use the hand sanitizers - there has been some controversy about how our current society is over-using them and they are defeating us building up our immune system.

As Chris said, a healthy diet is very important. If we eat right, get at least some exercise and stay relatively healthy, we should be fine. We may still get the flu/cold but it won't be as bad or stay as long.

With my COPD, I am supposed to be more vigilant by getting the flu shots and not waiting for a cold to get worse if I should get one but other than that I just ensure I eat healthy, exercise and wash my hands carefully and often.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that when I am in a store, if I turn down an aisle and someone is coughing I avoid that aisle for a while.

People are such pigs. Most of them don't even bother to cover their mouths at all, let alone using their arm instead of hand.

One time we had a substitute come in for a teaching assistant who was sick. The sub was sick, too and should have refused the assignment. She came into our little kitchen, opened the fridge ( never been in our school before, did not ask) and proceeded to cough all over the contents in the refrigerator. I was so shocked (and disgusted) and warned everyone else about it.

These companies that provide sick time, but penalize people for using it really tick me off. I hate people who come to work sick. I understand why they do, in cases like just mentioned, or, worse, in grocery stores where they are partimers without sick time, but when I worked in education, people were encouraged to use sick time when they were sick, and it really angered me when they would come in, anyway.

I hate people who come to the gym sick. they think they are being all so brave and noble to work out when they are sick, but no one is admiring them. We're all thinking, go home you stupid ***** what's the big idea exposing all of us to your germs.

I don't work when I'm sick. If I do, it takes twice as long for me to get better, and I'm likely, in the long run, to loose even more work time.

I work with special needs kids and sometimes it's very difficult for me to take time off, I hate letting families down when they are expecting my services. But do they really want me there spreading germs? I dunno, I get the guilt trip laid on with a few families, but I ignore it. I don't work when I'm sick.

(my secoond job....cleaning houses and office buildings, is what hurts me the most when I don't work, as I don't get paid when I don't work. But...in the long run it's not worth it to me to work when I am sick, because, as I said, I'm likely to get sicker, that way)

oof..long speech, haha!