Blood with bowel movements

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little grey kitten I am bottle feeding is having some issues when she poops. Her little rectum looks like it is turning inside out when she strains and she has some blood. I don't think the blood is in the stool as much as coming from her poor little bottom. When she is done going potty her rectum returns to normal. Should I do something different? I am not wiping much at all, being very gentle when I do.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bright red blood ON the poop: worms.
Dark red blood IN the poop: internal bleeding, vet, now.

You're looking at your cat's bum to closely
. That's what they look like when the poo
. If she's constipated that could be causing issues though.

Are you wetting the wipes? I find baby wipes are pretty good for all around animal use.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does her poo look like? Fairly normal, or runny? It could be that she just has lesions (tearing of skin) from getting it out. Or, it could be something more serious.

Has she been wormed? If not, I suggest doing that asap. Either way, a vet visit is in order. Hopefully, it's just a superfacial thing that can be taken care of, or worst case it could be internal.

Cleaning her up afterwards is a good idea. You know how babies will get irritated bums if not clean properly? Kittens are the same way. They don't know how to clean themselves, so it's up to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its bright red and it is on the poop like it is coming from her irritated bottom. I will worm her and see if that helps. I am using unscented/alcohol free baby wipes and they work really well. I guess I shouldn't look so closely at her bottom but she hadn't gone for a few days and I was watching in anticipation

Her poo is fairly normal, well normal for a bottle fed baby. Its kinda orangish and like toothpaste, only a bit softer.