Stop, Thief!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Merlin is fascinated with food, anybody's food. I have to lock him in his cage to eat his one wet meal of the day. Otherwise he gobbles down his own share and then steals the girls' food practically out of their mouths.

A couple of days ago I set a cheese stick, still in the plastic wrap, on my desk. Merlin zipped across the desk and snatched the cheese in passing. Fortunately, I was able to grab him before he had a chance to hide it under the couch or somewhere else inaccessible. I also caught him hauling half a loaf of bread through the living room---it was bigger than he is.

So what's next? Learn to open the refrigerator, get out the mustard, and start making sandwiches?

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bread? Seriously?? What's he going to do with that
?

My toddler does the same thing, but that makes a little more sense
. I'll be sitting at the computer & he'll walk by with the bread, or an apple or something. Silly Boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

Bread? Seriously?? What's he going to do with that
?

My toddler does the same thing, but that makes a little more sense
. I'll be sitting at the computer & he'll walk by with the bread, or an apple or something. Silly Boy!
He was so proud of himself, too. He had gotten hold of the bag very precisely where the twist-tie had it bunched together and just took off with his head held high.

Originally Posted by esrandall2000

You named him well. He's a magical cat! I too have a Merlin and also a Magic.
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the name. I had been trying to figure out what I would name an aby, but couldn't come up with anything I liked. When the breeder told me his name was Merlin, I loved it. I sent the registration papers in with Merlin as my first choice of names and Merlin's Magic as my second choice. Of course, at the moment he thinks his name is Monkey.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
So what's next? Learn to open the refrigerator, get out the mustard, and start making sandwiches?
Don't laugh, but some cats do help themselves to whatever is in the fridge. My sister spent years with a big rubber strap from a moving company around hers, because one of the cats would help himself and feed the dogs from the contents.

Jamie kept opening our downstairs freezer, so I had a repairman come out and install a child-proof lock on it. He told me that most of the people who had it done had cats. We got a new fridge/freezer combination last month which already had the child-proof lock as standard equipment, and the salesman wasn't the least bit surprised that that was a selling point for us as cat owners.

Jamie plays kamikaze kitty when we're eating something interesting. He leaps from the counter to the table, snatches what he wants right off the plate, and disappears with it. All you see is a black and white streak.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Don't laugh, but some cats do help themselves to whatever is in the fridge. My sister spent years with a big rubber strap from a moving company around hers, because one of the cats would help himself and feed the dogs from the contents.

Jamie kept opening our downstairs freezer, so I had a repairman come out and install a child-proof lock on it. He told me that most of the people who had it done had cats. We got a new fridge/freezer combination last month which already had the child-proof lock as standard equipment, and the salesman wasn't the least bit surprised that that was a selling point for us as cat owners.

Jamie plays kamikaze kitty when we're eating something interesting. He leaps from the counter to the table, snatches what he wants right off the plate, and disappears with it. All you see is a black and white streak.
OMG Tricia

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Hahaha Fatman is our theif...If we eat at the coffee table and you dont watch your plate the whole time something will be missing off your plate and that cat is sitting under the edge of the table licking his paws off...Needless to say we are SOOO CAREFUL where we eat now because I wasnt throwing away anymore food after that happened..Icky..but still funny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've found there are certain foods I have to eat standing up. Anything with vanilla yogurt and Cali will actually pull the spoon out of my mouth to get at it.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The worse I get is our cats trying to sneak up on my son's breakfast because everyone in this house knows if they look at him cute enough he'll feed them
. He does a good job though, feeds every dog evenly from his dinner
. There is only so many NOs you can dispense in a day, our dogs are so gentle I gave up on making him stop.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think I've heard more feline thefts of bread than any other food product. They really seem to like it. Much will ignore us if we are eating fish, chicken etc. But she is in our faces if we have any cornbread.