My Cat is DESTROYING the Screens and ESCAPING!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UGH! We've had Lucy for a few years now, but lately, she wants to be OUTSIDE. I am NOT a fan of that because with her personality, even if we were there with her, I have a feeling the cat would be wandering (she's a bit frisky, like that).

She's only hit our bedroom windows.....starting small tiny holes (very minute) and then literally PUSHING through them with her body. You can totally see where the screen literally rips/shreds apart and not torn from her claws. Most of the time, we don't even know she has done this until GOD KNOWS how long! She hasn't gone far....maybe a few houses over at the most, but STILL! That's more than far enough for me.

I've heard about "claw-proof" screens, but am wondering about everyone's opinion on them. Do they work? Are they expensive (of course, replacing screens every time you turn around is expensive, too, in the long-run).....??

What about aluminum screening instead? I did see you can get that in a darker color so we won't look like rednecks or something

SO...looking for ideas.....I am sick out of my mind with her new tricks!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just posted this in another thread. This is what I use. Its a sturdy metal covering that you screw in from the outside. I cannot remember how much they were, but I do remember I got them from Lowe's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG, Pam.....that is ASHIE!!!!!! Your first CAT listed is MY ASHIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow! Creepy (and emotional at the same time! LOL!!). Her CLONE!

I've NEVER seen those things for windows...how neat is that???????

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you Google "window grills" under images, you will see that they come in some very pretty designs and colors.

I have been thinking about putting these on my windows in the sunporch. The screens seem flimsy to me, and I'd be devastated if one of the girls could get out because of it....I live on a VERY busy street.

I really like this one, because it looks small enough to keep a cat inside, and the color/design goes with my ranch style home.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
last year I replaced all my screens with pet-proof screen and they have worked great! they can still sometimes get holes in them if the cats get their claws caught in them, but the screens do not tear like traditional ones

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can also just get regular metal window screening, the stuff they most commonly sell now-a-days is nylon & easily gotten through

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another option is to leave the bottom open a few inches, but open the top of your windows more. Heat rises and cool air flows downwards, this will not only prevent attempted escapes, but create a constant circulation through the room
It is even harder to keep them in after they have established a comfort outdoors, the sooner the better. Otherwise you could have a very tragic situation on your hands...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those covers you used are very attractive, Pami.

Another option is hail cloth - a wire mesh you can find at any hardware store.

I suggest everyone be careful putting in heavy duty covers and grills. Please make sure you can kick them loose if need be. If there's a fire you may not be able to make it to an uncovered window or door.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Those covers you used are very attractive, Pami.

Another option is hail cloth - a wire mesh you can find at any hardware store.

I suggest everyone be careful putting in heavy duty covers and grills. Please make sure you can kick them loose if need be. If there's a fire you may not be able to make it to an uncovered window or door.
Hail cloth or anything similar......chicken wire, deer fence, bird webbing..... These may be safe for what they are advertised for, only...Hail cloth may prevent severe damage during a hail storm, but it is in no way going to prevent or insure a safe escape of a pet from one's home. Hail cloth is the last thing you should use to keep a kitty from escaping.....If such a cloth protects freezing balls of ice that fall from the sky into 90+ degrees, how does this benefit the safe enclosure of a kitten or puppy?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Hail cloth or anything similar......chicken wire, deer fence, bird webbing..... These may be safe for what they are advertised for, only...Hail cloth may prevent severe damage during a hail storm, but it is in no way going to prevent or insure a safe escape of a pet from one's home. Hail cloth is the last thing you should use to keep a kitty from escaping.....If such a cloth protects freezing balls of ice that fall from the sky into 90+ degrees, how does this benefit the safe enclosure of a kitten or puppy?
Oh really.
Have you used the stuff for anything? The wire mesh is extremely durable. How you attach it to the window is up to you, any other material could have the same flaw at that point - which would be the installer's problem not a flaw in the material used.

It's kept determined raccoons out of my baby turtle pens - an animal heavier than any house cat. It's also kept coyotes and snakes out of cages.

Besides, when is the last time your cat flew at a screen window doing 40+mph ? No cat can go through that or any other heavy duty wire.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh really.
Have you used the stuff for anything? The wire mesh is extremely durable. How you attach it to the window is up to you, any other material could have the same flaw at that point - which would be the installer's problem not a flaw in the material used.

It's kept determined raccoons out of my baby turtle pens - an animal heavier than any house cat. It's also kept coyotes and snakes out of cages.

Besides, when is the last time your cat flew at a screen window doing 40+mph ? No cat can go through that or any other heavy duty wire.
You got me there...I have yet experienced the need for hail cloth, or "the stuff" to keep my beloved Maia from running 40 MPH through a window screen. I make it a point to never allow such a circumstance where Maia would be in a life threatening situation, ever.... Hail cloth is effective when used appropriately, preventing crops from extreme weather/hail damage , not window lining for prevention of indoor pets escaping.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what we use, and it it is safe, it works and in case of an emergency you aren't trapped behind bars of metal, or heavy mesh. Measure your windows on the screen side. Go to Home Depot or really any home improvement store. Buy a flat panel lattice- it comes in all different types of colors and styles. I get the type with the smallest designs as I found out the type with large designs can get a kitten's head stuck in the center of the hole. If you don't have the capabiity to cut this plastic with a saw at home, the store clerk will do it for you. You want it large enough to fit into the four corners of your window sill when your window is open and screen exposed. You don't screw the lattice into place, because it is flexible, you put your screws in and then bend the plastic to fit. If there is a problem in the home and you have to get in or out of the window, it is easy to bend it back and remove it. But the cats can't get out and the air gets in through the holes. All our windows have it installed and I like it because it isn't noticeable from the street.It comes in all different colors with all different types of designs.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

This is what we use, and it it is safe, it works and in case of an emergency you aren't trapped behind bars of metal, or heavy mesh. Measure your windows on the screen side. Go to Home Depot or really any home improvement store. Buy a flat panel lattice- it comes in all different types of colors and styles. I get the type with the smallest designs as I found out the type with large designs can get a kitten's head stuck in the center of the hole. If you don't have the capabiity to cut this plastic with a saw at home, the store clerk will do it for you. You want it large enough to fit into the four corners of your window sill when your window is open and screen exposed. You don't screw the lattice into place, because it is flexible, you put your screws in and then bend the plastic to fit. If there is a problem in the home and you have to get in or out of the window, it is easy to bend it back and remove it. But the cats can't get out and the air gets in through the holes. All our windows have it installed and I like it because it isn't noticeable from the street.It comes in all different colors with all different types of designs.
If you only knew how many people I've passed your suggestion on to, one of my nieces being the latest!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I like the lattice suggestion. I wonder if that would still work with my old windows (they really need to be replaced). I also suspect it might make it a slight degree more difficult for a person to come in through the window - though not stop anyone determined.

Originally Posted by cheylink

You got me there...I have yet experienced the need for hail cloth, or "the stuff" to keep my beloved Maia from running 40 MPH through a window screen. I make it a point to never allow such a circumstance where Maia would be in a life threatening situation, ever.... Hail cloth is effective when used appropriately, preventing crops from extreme weather/hail damage , not window lining for prevention of indoor pets escaping.
You're a city girl aren't you?
I wonder if that may be why you're not quite familiar with the wire mesh I'm describing. Just because an item has a specific name does not mean it can not have multiple uses! Look at how many people use rubbermaid storage bins, wood stove pellets, chicken feed, and so on.
Look in the care an grooming section. You'll see another person who suggests using using hail/hardware cloth due to its durability.