8 regular sized bottles of 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner
Duct tape
4 Archie Comic Digest
Smooth Legs Hair Remover Pads
1 Diet Coke
1 Large cat litter box
1 package of original Shammy wipes
1 Tide pen
3 Cosmetic cases (because I wanted the middle sized one and they didn't have just that size for sale alone)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lists just don't work sometimes. I'll follow them exactly if I'm the only one shopping because I hate shopping by myself and won't stop to look at anything else. Otherwise there's always a few extras.

Of course it's even better when I go through the trouble to make a list and forget it on my desk.

ETA... wait, duct tape? What sort of spontaneous buy was that?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got pretty much everything on my grocery list today except for those disposable gloves. I like to wear those when I chopped onions, garlic and jalapeños. Of course, DH added a few things to the basket.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Of course it's even better when I go through the trouble to make a list and forget it on my desk.

ETA... wait, duct tape? What sort of spontaneous buy was that?
That's me to a tee! I will make very concise lists based on needs, not wants...and leave it at home.

And I was wondering the same thing about the duct tape. Handy to have but....nevermind, I probably don't want to know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duct tape is great to have around the house. It's stronger than regular tape, so I sometimes use it to tape boxes for shipping. Plus I bought some smooth plastic hangers a couple weeks ago and my uniform tops keep sliding off of them. Duct tape has grooves in them so wrapping a bit around the hangers will stop the slippage.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^And here I was imagining you had the spontaneous urge to make a duct tape ensemble.
Nothing says fall fashion like a matching duct tape skirt and jacket.

(actually I thought you found a good sale and picked some up for remove fur from items)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are sample size deodorants? so you test and see which scent is nice/doesn't affect your skin? or just a cheaper way of buying them?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam, they are just basically a very tiny version of the real thing. Kinda like the shampoos you get in hotels, compared to a regular bottle you have at home. The deoderant is like 1/4th the size.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Sam, they are just basically a very tiny version of the real thing. Kinda like the shampoos you get in hotels, compared to a regular bottle you have at home. The deoderant is like 1/4th the size.
What's the point?
I'd get like a litre one if I could. Save it from running out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

What are sample size deodorants? so you test and see which scent is nice/doesn't affect your skin? or just a cheaper way of buying them?
The small travel size ones.

I work in a hospital on a ward that sees some pregnant women flown down from northern reserves and even Nunavut with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

The hospital no longer supplies personal grooming items to patients. It's up to them or their family and friends to bring them in for the patient, otherwise they go without.

A few will have family follow them to The City a day or so later, others will have friends in the city. In either case they have someone that can supply them with things such as toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant etc.

We do get a few that have absolutely no family or friends in the city and no family that can come down for whatever reason, and they will be in the hospital for more than a day or two and some even a week or two.

My concern is the latter ones who are here without any friends or family.

I can't imagine how difficult it is to live in such a sheltered environment and then to be ripped from my home with nothing but the clothing on my back and sent to a big scary city. Even the food we serve is vastly different than what they are used to eating. Cooked meat/fish vs raw caribou or arctic char.

My target is the latter ones. I'm making personal grooming kits for some of these girls. I've charged the regular weekday day and evening charge nurses with handing them out to those who qualify.

I'm making 2 sizes of kits.

A small kit that has:

a toothbrush
travel size toothpaste
travel size deodorant
a comb

The small kit will be for those who have family/friends that can bring them stuff in a couple of days.

A second kit will be larger with full sized products. These are for those who are alone here without any family / friend support and will go home after a week or two, with nothing but the clothing they came in with. We don't get many of these, but when we do, I feel so badly for these young girls.

I'm hoping that by receiving one of these kits, it will make their hospital stay a bit more bearable.

The larger kits contain:

full size 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner
toothbrush
full size toothpaste
dental floss
travel size deodorant
comb

I'm doing this out of my own pocket because the ward has no budget for stuff like this.

I have to also include a note in the package to let the girls know that the hospital doesn't supply these types of items and that these items are being donated to them because of their very special circumstances of having to be brought to the hospital in an emergency and that they didn't have time to pack any of their personal possessions to bring with them.

I don't want them to think that this is the norm and that if they have to come down for a routine admission, that they think the hospital will supply everything for them each time.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've given up on making shopping lists because I never follow it either!

I just go to the store and walk down every isle and pick up things I think we need or want.
Which usually means we spend twice as long in the store.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I've given up on making shopping lists because I never follow it either!

I just go to the store and walk down every isle and pick up things I think we need or want.
Which usually means we spend twice as long in the store.
My memory's not as sharp as it once was, so personally I need a list. I usually get 90-100% of the items on my list but I notice I almost always end up getting at least one thing not on it. I have a small spiral notebook and the first page I named Replenish , It's a checklist of common items: napkins, Charmin, Listerine, etc., etc. From this page, I create my portable list.