Soulistic

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my ongoing quest for a wet food that is fish-free and low or no-grain (and that my cats will eat, too), I found the new Soulistic line at the local Petco. I guess it's their "store brand".

I am trying to work some "raw" into their diets, but that is slow-going. In the meantime, my cats
love the 2 flavors of Soulistic I've tried so far - the texture is like shredded chicken, very much like the Meow Mix "Wholesome Goodness" stuff.

Would one of you kind and nutition-savvy people give me your take on the ingredients and nutritional breakdown of the Soulistic Chicken/Pumpkin? It looks pretty good to me. And it has a lot less added stuff then the Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness, which my cats also like.

Soulistic Harvest Sunrise Chicken & Pumpkin Dinner Adult Canned Cat Food in Gravy
Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken, Pumpkin, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Spinach, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 8.0%, Crude Fat (min) 1.1%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 84%, Ash (max) 2.0%, Calcium (max) 0.25%, Phosphorus (max) 0.25%, Magnesium (max) 0.03%, Taurine (min) 0.05%.

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoonPie

In my ongoing quest for a wet food that is fish-free and low or no-grain (and that my cats will eat, too), I found the new Soulistic line at the local Petco. I guess it's their "store brand".

I am trying to work some "raw" into their diets, but that is slow-going. In the meantime, my cats
love the 2 flavors of Soulistic I've tried so far - the texture is like shredded chicken, very much like the Meow Mix "Wholesome Goodness" stuff.

Would one of you kind and nutition-savvy people give me your take on the ingredients and nutritional breakdown of the Soulistic Chicken/Pumpkin? It looks pretty good to me. And it has a lot less added stuff then the Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness, which my cats also like.

Soulistic Harvest Sunrise Chicken & Pumpkin Dinner Adult Canned Cat Food in Gravy
Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken, PumpkinI ??? it being so high , Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Spinach, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 8.0%, Crude Fat (min) 1.1%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 84%, Ash (max) 2.0%, Calcium (max) 0.25%, Phosphorus (max) 0.25%, Magnesium (max) 0.03%, Taurine (min) 0.05%.

Thanks
it is okay but I would not use it as a sole food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky
- you have the fat content listed in magenta - I assume you think it's quite low?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not enough taurine. Taurine should be at least .1 % So I agree, it would be okay once or twice a week, but not as an only.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks Sharky
- you have the fat content listed in magenta - I assume you think it's quite low?
Correct ... In a wet I like at least 3% fat for one I am regularly feeding... Do you have a can of this?? If so look for a AFFCO statement and tell us if it says supplemental or maintenance
Originally Posted by otto

Not enough taurine. Taurine should be at least .1 % So I agree, it would be okay once or twice a week, but not as an only.
In a DRY food the taurine should be listed at least that but in a wet food you have to figure dry matter .. 84% moisture would yeild a dry matter taurine in the neighborhood of .2 %

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Correct ... In a wet I like at least 3% fat for one I am regularly feeding... Do you have a can of this?? If so look for a AFFCO statement and tell us if it says supplemental or maintenance <snip>
Yep - it says "is formulated to meet nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for Adult Maintenance"

Recommended feeding: 1 oz of food per pound of bodyweight daily (split into at least 2 feedings). For my growing Maine Coon, that'd be 5 cans a day!

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And also - if you find a wet food that they'll eat, and the ingredients seem pretty good and the only down-side is that it's too low in fat - is there some kind of fat I can easily add to make it more balanced?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

In a DRY food the taurine should be listed at least that but in a wet food you have to figure dry matter .. 84% moisture would yeild a dry matter taurine in the neighborhood of .2 %
Okay. I won't use a canned food that is less than .1% taurine, so this means my cats are actually getting about .25 percent in their wet food? I like that!

So what about the dry? A dry listed at .2 %, what's the actuality when the moisture (say..11 %) is removed? And a dry food that is listed at .1% and 8 % moisture?

Sorry to make you into my mathematician here, but I have tried to do those conversion charts and never get accurate answers for some reason.

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And also - if you find a wet food that they'll eat, and the ingredients seem pretty good and the only down-side is that it's too low in fat - is there some kind of fat I can easily add to make it more balanced?
I would double check this with a Vet .... but many add some fish oil which is all fat and would boost that level...

It according to AFFCO is complete and balanced by the statement but IMHO not for most cats