I've just had a call from a rescue...

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last week I contacted some rescues. I left some messages on answer phones, wrote some emails. Explained who I am, that I'd be interested in cats needing an indoor home (cats who are old, deaf, etc). I did worry a bit about Symphony and Amadeus when they went haring off into the night together theres a road at the bottom of the big stretch of grass outside the flats where I live. Not a busy road but a road all the same. So anyway I didn't hear anything back from the rescues.

This evening I had a call from a rescue, they have two ten year old females in need of adoption. One is a dark tortie the other a black cat (I am a sucker for black cats)!

Co-Co and Willow came from a home that no longer could keep them due to the children having alergies. (I can appreciate allergies are very real but I can't help feeling a little mad, it seems to me all too often the family change what they want and the cats take a back seat)

So the big question on my mind is.. what do I do..

When Amadeus and Symphony where here I was looking for two more cats. Infact I was going to be getting two British short hairs from a breeder.

I can afford five and have the space for five. I could offer these babys in need, a home. They need a home. I have a loving home here. I can't help feeling why not. The other side of my mind is like hang on Kitty you only brought two home yesterday isn't this rushing? I can't help feeling excited though. To be honest I've already got the fourth and fifth litter trays out and in place. I've blitzed my bedroom with the vacum cleaner and made it catified with beds and cushions. If they are coming next week they will need to be seperated from the other three as they are older and socialization will take longer.

Co-Co, Willow, Nefertiti, Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer...?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nooooo...... don't you go jumping into this so fast.... breath, take a walk....

Remember, a few weeks ago you were overwhelmed with three cats, and gave two of them away... I am NOT judging you, BUT I don't want you to be in that situation again, and IMO you are risking yourself into it....
Please please please do not do it....

There are good people out there - these kitties are taken care of, and they will be fine... They are already in a rescue... As much as this is tempting, don't put yourself into this situation....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats how I'm feeling too. It's hard for an older cats to get adopted let a lone two oldies together. They've been together all their lives in a house. It seems so sad to just leave them there any longer when really theres no reason they can't come here.

I am actually very excited. I was going to do this slowly. One cat a time. Oh well looks like thats gone out the window

In a way it feels a bit like it was ment to be... those two in the market yesterday now these two rescues. They all needed a loving forever home. So maybe it's a sad thing come good. All six cats, Amadeus, Symphony, Co-Co, Willow, Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer now all have loving home. Amadeus and Symphony got a home with a big garden thats safer for them really. Two oldies got a nice warm home together. Two farm babies stuffed in a carrier in the market are safe and warm here too.

I will just say congrats again on your Velvet oh my shes a stunner. One day in the far away future I would love a Sphynx

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arh Carolina
You have just highlighted the otherside of my argument thats raging in my head. I havn't commited yet. I said I need to think. It is a good point.

Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer have settled in very quickly but they are kittens and kittens are babies neeingd a lot of time and care

Maybe I should wait. I won't rush into it. I will pray a lot and think a lot. The last thing I should do is overwhelm myself.

When I had four it was great but I didn't have four in one week.

I need to not get over excited and just take my mind of it for a bit tonight and then think sensibly tomorow.

Thank you every one

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks she everyone loves her eyes.
Are you sure you will keep the cats you have.
You gave your other cats away.
I sure would hate for you to give the new cats away also.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you read this thread? Why did I go overboard w/ pets?

You recently gave away two cats due to pressure from people who know you who felt you couldn't cope with three. Although I have no way of knowing whether their judgment of your situation can be trusted, it remains a fact that you did get rid of your cats, so at the time you must have agreed with them at some level.

Those two were then replaced by your acquisitions from a dubious source, i.e., a market stall. Buying the two kittens did nothing to encourage responsible pet ownership, read spaying and neutering, on the part of those who supplied you with them. The kittens have not been vetted or speutered; on the basis of posts made by other members I question whether Nerfertiti has been spayed yet.

The (medical) needs of Nefertiti, Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer should be fully met before you even entertain the idea of taking in more cats.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you need to think about it, is that these kitties are in a rescue situation, and WILL be taken care off - with or WITHOUT you... WITHOUT you.... you see my point???

Seriously if your friends thought you were crazy with 3 cats before, and you gave them away......... hum....... with 5 they might just place you in an institution....

No, just kidding... but in all seriousness... There are people out there who can help the rescues - it is NOT time for YOU to help them.... IMO you need to heal your wound of giving up on your babies, settle down your new routine with your new family, and then, only then..... after a long while, for the right reasons, think about that...

Otherwise you will jeopardize not only the two rescues, but the all 5, plus you...

Give yourself the time to heal....
I usually don't beg, but on this I will - I beg you to don't take these kitties...

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest I would have tried to get them back. The more I thought about it the more I realised that bringing them back here would be more for my benefit than theres. I am sure they have got themselves settled. They also now live in a big house with a big garden and a loving meowmy there all day (she is retired). She also completely adored those two when she met them so no doubt in my mind they are very well cared for.
I still can't believe I did it and still feel heartbroken. I will never EVER make that mistake again. There was no need to give them away. There was no benefit to me in them going, emotional, financial or otherwise. It just left a great big whole in my heart.
I am in a stable place. My flat is financially sound and I'm in a secure place. The next place I live will be is my own house with a morgage. There is no reason why I should ever need to rehome any of my precious felines. I live a lone, am an adult and have no one to answer to but myself and God. Sadly I just let peoples judgements bother me. The "You won't do well at college because your cats will distract you" "You won't be able to get a date with a home full of cats -I havn't had a date in the past year but thats liekly due to my shyness-" Oh and the "You never seem to talk about anything else but your cats, It's distracting you". All those things upset me and bothered me. I want so badly to do well for myself.
I just want to be the best I can be. I want to achieve my potential. I just wish it hadn't taken giving those two precious cats away for me to realise. I can be who I want to be, live how I want to live, regardless of what people say and still be the best I can be. (Even greater infact because I havn't let peoples opinions influence me into doing things I don't like). -Sigh- oh my Amadeus and Symphony

Any way I'm going on a bit. No Nefertiti, Rumpleteazer and Mungo-Jerry (and who ever else will be joining us in the future) will be with me for life! !!

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Have you read this thread? Why did I go overboard w/ pets?

The (medical) needs of Nefertiti, Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer should be fully met before you even entertain the idea of taking in more cats.
This is some thing I was thinking earlier. I was thinking I would love a Sphynx or a Siamese
but I should start looking in Summer break next year. Rumpleteazer and Mungo-Jerry would be adults by then. Neutered/Injected.

Nefertiti isn't spayed (but thats half because the vet told me she was too small when we went a few weeks a go) but your still right.

I do need to be responsible. I'm glad I've got you guys.

Willow and Co-Co and also in Summer next year there will be still oldies in need of a home (just I really do hope not those oldies)!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

nooooo...... don't you go jumping into this so fast.... breath, take a walk....

Remember, a few weeks ago you were overwhelmed with three cats, and gave two of them away...
It's ok saying you can afford 5, but you need to think about all the spays and neuters that need to be done as well as injections and anything that may happen in the future?.

You say you live in a flat. Is this a council flat or private landlord, because they may not be ok with several cats in their property?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else that I don't think anyone else has mentioned, but should be considered. It can be difficult for older kitties to enjoy kittens as they have so much energy and the older kitties don't necessarily. I adopted a 7 mo kitten and had a 10 yo cat already at home, and one I wouldn't do again. Kittens have SO much energy and are so playful. Ten yr old cats....not so much!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RussianKitten

This is some thing I was thinking earlier. I was thinking I would love a Sphynx or a Siamese
but I should start looking in Summer break next year. Rumpleteazer and Mungo-Jerry would be adults by then. Neutered/Injected. That means they are not right now, I guess?

Nefertiti isn't spayed (but thats half because the vet told me she was too small when we went a few weeks a go) but your still right.

I do need to be responsible. I'm glad I've got you guys.

Willow and Co-Co and also in Summer next year there will be still oldies in need of a home (just I really do hope not those oldies)!
So, you have Three intact kittens running loose inside of the house? Please please tell me they are not of different sex.... If they are.... please separate them immediately.... you will end up with a litter... Then what?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having older cats & having fostered kittens - I advise against 3 kittens with 2 much older kitties. IMO, it is often not fair to the senior kitties to thrown them into a new home with 3 "infants" that want to do nothing but play when they want to sleep!

ETA: Also the kittens first year is the most expensive vet bill wise, and senior cats are also expensive - I would not want to be combining the two at the same time.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Having older cats & having fostered kittens - I advise against 3 kittens with 2 much older kitties. IMO, it is often not fair to the senior kitties to thrown them into a new home with 3 "infants" that want to do nothing but play when they want to sleep!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest to wait, enjoy the kitties you have now and plan for getting another one in the future...but not immediately. You mentioned you liked Sphinx and Siamese, maybe you can research on those breeds and plan to get one a while from now, once you have the younger kittens fully settled in, spayed/neutered, and you are sure you will be good with having that amount of cats. I would not rush into it at all. If you are really interested in helping rescue cats perhaps you can foster?

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer are both 9 weeks old. Nefertiti will be taken for her spay in a couple of weeks.

I have decided not to take these rescue babys. The more I think about it the more it just doesn't make sense. I need to look after the three I have now.

I think in the new year I might go to some cat shows and meet some Sphynx and Siamese breeders. Do some research between now and then. Theres no rush. I've got my whole life!! I am still hurting about Symphony and Amadeus really. Pets should be an addition to happiness not some thing to fill the void of a broken heart. Really I shouldn't have rushed into getting Mungo-Jerry and Rumpleteazer off the market it's not the ideal place to buy a kitten from. Buying kittens from places like that only encourages them to buy more and sell more of the poor things. BUT big BUT i don't regret it for an instant. They are here now my adorable babies, I love them so much already. It's also lovely to see Nefertiti running around playing again. I do need to slowww down now though.

These babys are very lively (they've had the crazies since dawn break and are still at it)!! I don't think those two dear older ones would appreciate that much! I've been a wake since about 5AM since Nefertiti convienatly demostrated how humans make good obstacles to jump over (especially when they are laying flat in bed)

Another thing these older ones arn't neutered.

One boy and four uneutered females.. hmm.. Ithink I would end up in the nutty institute then
!!

Also they have not had their injections, previous owners didn't give them there shots as they were indoor cats. They could be carriers of feline influenza or some thing. Then I guess who knows about the kittens I got in the market they could have some thing nasty (I really don't think they do). The risk is too big though.

Also the fact they havn't had shots and been neutered is making me feel suspicious of the rescue..

I would love a beautiful Sphynx named Lady Godiva... aww.. *dreams*. Oh wait I'll calm down now and go back to my kittens

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RussianKitten

I think in the new year I might go to some cat shows and meet some Sphynx and Siamese breeders.
You could also show your moggies
A fun new hobby and you'll get to know different breeders too.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

You could also show your moggies
A fun new hobby and you'll get to know different breeders too.
Yeah I think that's a great idea too.
Showing household pets is a lot of fun! Since they are young you also have plenty of time to get them ready for showing when they are old enough...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you can try showing in HHP.
Sphynx are not a easy breed to take care of.
They need baths twice a week or once a week depending on the cat.
They get oily and must be wiped down with baby wipes.
You also have to clean thier ears and nails all the time.
You need to talk to breeders and go slow.
DO NOT RUSH INTO ANYTHING.