In need of a super-geek

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone around here can help or if they can point me to someone that can, my usual super-geek just isn't cutting it!

We recently installed both Vonage & Xplornet (internet) I'm trying to forwards some ports through vonage but we're having a big issue, not sure if there is a router on the xplorenet or not, but I don't think so, I think it's just a "power converter" (ok that's what the installation guy called it).

I emailed xplorenet, haven't heard back from them yet. My next option is dealing with vonage technical support, but I HATE technical support!!! I moderately understand my beast and don't like baby hold-your-hand answers but if they start going a million miles an hour with the tech-talk I get left behind & NONE of them have a medium setting!!!
Plus they won't be able to help if the issue is actually xplorenet; and no one knows how to help with Vista anyway.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Xplorenet installation guy tried to explain to me how to GET INTO email... don't worry, I was very polite...
"yes, yes, I got it, really? that little button there that says email? I never would have thought..." . Apparently they think Marg (yes, her name is Marg*) is my husbands computer
I have to explain to him how to get into games...

*Brownie points to anyone who knows who I named her after

My super-geek (a.k.a. brother) was helping me for 6 hours yesterday and all he managed to do was screw up my internet until I bit his head off!
Then he fixed it...

(BTW, still ROFPML at the computer mites...
)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I can't help. Vonage sounds like it would be trouble enough and I've never even heard of Xplornet.

It might be best if you just give up and call tech support. If they go too fast tell the person to slow down - keep a pad and pen handy.

Good luck and keep trying google, tech forums usually have answers for just about anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I havn't been able to find any good tech forums yet.

No xplorenet is pretty darn small but I'm happy as a pig in mud because finally it doesn't take me five minutes to load the smilies list
. Plus I can actually see all those adorable kitty pictures without going for a cup of tea in the middle of loading.

I love the Vonage phone quality I just wish I could send my emails out from outlook!

Thanks SW, I'll keep trying

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vonage's technical support isnt that bad if they believe you know what you are doing. I usually start the conversation with I have rest my modem, reset the vonage router tried a different cable.... etc they laugh and say ok lets try the real stuff then.

mmfh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Vonage's technical support isnt that bad if they believe you know what you are doing. I usually start the conversation with I have rest my modem, reset the vonage router tried a different cable.... etc they laugh and say ok lets try the real stuff then.
I don't mean to hyjack this thread but I'm so impressed with your banner I had to say something. Sorry to hear about Scuffy, but you are really doing him justice with your beautiful work remembering him.

Nice work!

Mm