Preparing for cat show

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping for some tips on preparing cats for a show... Blaze is going to his first cat show October 3-4 and it will be Harlequin's second show. I am trying to prepare them as much as possible but I am afraid to over-do it or scare them or something too.

I bought a foldable show cage (Itz A Breeze cat exhibition cage) to use and I put it up a few times so they could get used to it. Should I try putting them in it and closing it up? (If so for how long at a time?) I don't want to upset them so I was just letting them play in it and never zipping it up with them inside it.

I also bought a cat bed to use for the show and I put it on the fireplace which is one of their favorite sleeping spots. The other thing I have been doing is playing clips of cat shows on Youtube on my computer so they could get used to the type of sounds they will hear. Oh I also started turning them backwards and picking them up from behind so they are used to the way the judges get cats out of the judging cage because I think that was one of the things that Church disliked about the cat shows (he no longer shows, he decided he didn't like it.)

Oh here is a photo of the new show cage:

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing.
I only put Cleo in her show shelter once before I showed her and it worked out well/
Put the bed in teh shelter and zip it for a few minutes.
Cleo hisses in the ring because she hates the other cats.
It could be other cats that make them act bad.
I will be at a 3 day TICA show Oct 2-4.
I hope yourcats do well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool - that is the EXACT show cage I have
They are nice and the cats are fine in there. Just let them explore. Take along some extra towels for the bottom in case of spills in the cage (water/food). I usually have certain toys in the show bag that are only given at the shows - small ball, feathers, rabbit-furred mice.

Zip up the doors with the ones that will be showing and let them sit in there for maybe an hour and check on them to see how they are doing - put in the litter pan too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will start putting them in the show cage for short periods. Anyone else have any tips?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To tell you the truth - I've never really seen any cat freak out in the cage that they are sitting in benched. They may freak a little in the ring if its the first time- but never in the benching cage.

They seem to know from the start its a "safe" place to sleep.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, that's why I am trying to think of ways to get them ready for the show. My cat Church started to get very unhappy in the judging cages so I had to stop showing him. I'm hoping to avoid that problem with Harley and Blaze.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

To tell you the truth - I've never really seen any cat freak out in the cage that they are sitting in benched. They may freak a little in the ring if its the first time- but never in the benching cage.

They seem to know from the start its a "safe" place to sleep.
I totally agree with this.

Good Luck!

It boils down to the cat. Our Delilah has been a dream to show. She purrs the whole day. I actually think she enjoys it. Wild Bill was the same way. When a cat enjoys showing it makes the whole experience fun!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So is there anything I can do to increase their comfort with the judging cages? In other words to make it less likely they will get upset/unhappy or freak out while in the cages in the rings?
I am really hoping they will be ok with the show because I want to keep showing and these are the last cats I have to show pretty much since Church and Roxy started getting grumpy after they'd been to several shows (which is weird because they were fine in their first few shows.)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most times its best to distract them a bit. We usually have a feather in our pocket and when he's put in there use it to get him playing trying to catch it for a few seconds.

Sometimes it helps (especially if its crowded going to the ring) to cover their face with your free hand so they can't see all the other cats, etc.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wrap Cleo in a blanket when I got to the ring and cover her face with it.
She hisses at other cats.
I am going to try Vanilla this time.
You can try that if the cat hisses at the other cats in the ring.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you use the vanilla, do you put it on the cat?

Blaze's favorite toy is a ping-pong ball with a feather on it which rattles when you shake it. He loves to play fetch with that type of ball and comes running if I shake it. Do you think it would help if I show him the toy and shake it a few times for him when I put him in the judging cages?

The show is this coming weekend so I am really nervous and excited.
I am hoping they do well. Harley did not hiss at the other cats in the one show she was in, but that was in March so I am not sure how she will act this time... I am worried because of how both Church and Roxy were ok in their first few shows and then started to misbehave, I don't want that to happen with Harley and Blaze.

I am hopeful that they won't mind the other cats or hiss due to the other cats, since they live with so many other cats at home-- fingers crossed! I've taken them to my friend's pet shop before and they didn't mind the "strange" animals. My friend adopted their littermate Rosalie as a store cat. When I took the other cats to visit Rosalie they hadn't seen each other in months but they were okay with her, didn't hiss even though Rosalie hissed at them once or twice. They did not seem to mind Rosalie or my friend's dogs at all, although Blaze was a little bit nervous about the strange place (Harley was walking around like she owned the place). I also brought home a kitten last spring from work for a weekend and they had no problem with him either, in fact Harley was totally smitten with him. So I am hopeful that the other cats at the show will not be an issue with these two.

I am hoping they behave well because I know behavior is a big part of the judging with household pets.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting vanilla on thier noses.
I will try taht with Cleo this time.
She hisses at judges because of the other cats.

Blaze's favorite toy is a ping-pong ball with a feather on it which rattles when you shake it. He loves to play fetch with that type of ball and comes running if I shake it. Do you think it would help if I show him the toy and shake it a few times for him when I put him in the judging cages?
This is fine alot of teh breeders do this.
It might help.
Its is normal to be nervous I was at the first CFA show that I showed in.
I feel the same way about this weekends TICA show since I have never been to a TICA show ever.
Do not let the cats know you are nervousit can set them off.
Bring there favorite food and treats.
I bring baby food when I show Cleo.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best to have a "short" toy for the rings. If you don't have one, then buy one at the show. I take the cat over to the toys and let him pick it out.

This past weekend, he decided he wanted the "birdie" toy. Not the feather or shiny sting one this time

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and to have a good time at the show....I going to try to go Sunday just to see all the pretty cats - and hopefully will see your beautiful guys!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and to have a good time at the show....I going to try to go Sunday just to see all the pretty cats - and hopefully will see your beautiful guys!
Thanks! Unfortunately Blaze was not too happy today, he was pretty scared, he had his tail between his legs all the time and lay in the back of the cage

He didn't get any finals. I am debating whether to bring him tomorrow and hope he gets a little less scared or leave him home... Tomorrow all the rings are All Breed so it will be harder to get finals, there are only enough total household pets for them to award the top 5 for finals...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel.
Cleo was very bad today and was disqualified.
I may never show her in TICA again after what she pulled.
I will bring her tomorrow and if she acts up will not finish the show.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I may never show her in TICA again after what she pulled.
Please don't blame Cleo for her behaviour, some cats just don't like showing or prefer smaller shows.

Sorry she acted up

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say I saw Nekochan's 'kids' today - and what a beautiful pair they are - the most gorgeous faces and eyes you could ever want.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Please don't blame Cleo for her behaviour, some cats just don't like showing or prefer smaller shows.

Sorry she acted up
I know we've already talked Jacky, but you know I agree with Amanda. It's not Cleo's fault, she's just a spoilt baby who loves her Mummy.