How best to clean a litter tray ?

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well now I'm back to my three litter trays I thought I'd post a quick question. Litter trays - how do you clean them? I know it seems a simple thing to do but they are full of nasty germs. I read some where you musn't use antisceptic on cleaning cat trays but have used this in the past with no problems but I stopped when I read it just incase..

Now I just soak in my used bath water then wipe and leave upside down to dry out (then clean the bath). I find this the best way to clean as I can clean a few at a time. I'm not sure it's the most effective way to do it though so thought I'd make a post.

I'm just wondering if theres anything I can use to clean/kill bacteria from them. Some thing naturel. Any one?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RussianKitten

Well now I'm back to my three litter trays I thought I'd post a quick question. Litter trays - how do you clean them? I know it seems a simple thing to do but they are full of nasty germs. I read some where you musn't use antisceptic on cleaning cat trays but have used this in the past with no problems but I stopped when I read it just incase..

Now I just soak in my used bath water then wipe and leave upside down to dry out (then clean the bath). I find this the best way to clean as I can clean a few at a time. I'm not sure it's the most effective way to do it though so thought I'd make a post.

I'm just wondering if theres anything I can use to clean/kill bacteria from them. Some thing naturel. Any one?
I posted a video of how I clean on my site - click on my signature to get there.... and forgive my accent

ETA: It is on the :BLOG page

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash with dishsoap, then spray with vinegar/water and set out in the sun for a day or so.

I have extra trays so I always have a clean (or sunning) set, some in use and spares.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I wash with dishsoap, then spray with vinegar/water and set out in the sun for a day or so.

I have extra trays so I always have a clean (or sunning) set, some in use and spares.
That sounds like a good system!

I dump and scrub once a week. I use bleach and laundry detergent to clean the litter boxes.

I let them soak with bleach/laundry detergent and hot water in my bathtub for a while, then I scrub them and rinse them, first in hot water and then in cold water. Cold water removes soap residue.

I let them air dry. I, also, have a couple extra boxes, so the cats do not go without boxes while other boxes are being washed.

(I wear rubber gloves for cleaning.
)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is nothing natural that will kill or deactivate the tougher bacteria found in feces.

A solution of bleach water, or even bleach, vinegar, and water (the vinegar changes the ph of the bleach some making it more effective) is the only thing you can actually get a hold of and make up at home. Other cleaners are industrial type cleaners and are more dangerous.
Just remember to rinse the trays well. I like to set them outside, when I can, to dry in the sun. I also use bleach water to clean my reptile cages and have never once in the 10+ years I've been doing so had it harm my reptiles - which are much more sensitive to chemicals than cats are.

I prefer to wash my boxes outside (take out hot water to do so). I've never bothered with gloves but have learned I need to take my silver rings off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks every one. I think the idea of having spare trays is a very good idea. That way I'm not in a rush to get them dry with reems of kitchen roll. Some thing I may get today
. Also the re-rinsing with cold good idea. Will go see your video Carolina.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm verrry lucky that my hubby takes them outside and cleans them for me.He uses non-chlorine bleach ( the fumes bother my asthma too much) and dawn dish detergent.Scrubs with a brush,rinses them with the garden hose and turns upside down to drain well.He's a very special man!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lizzie

I'm verrry lucky that my hubby takes them outside and cleans them for me.He uses non-chlorine bleach ( the fumes bother my asthma too much) and dawn dish detergent.Scrubs with a brush,rinses them with the garden hose and turns upside down to drain well.He's a very special man!
That is very good of him. You may be able to use a powder cleaner such as Ajax or Comet that have bleach in them. You don't get the fumes that way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't disinfect the litterboxes very often. *Shrug*, I haven't died of any awful disease yet, LOL. Anyway, I normally just scrub them in the shower (hand-held shower head) with dish soap and a scrubby sponge (used only for litterboxes). I will disinfect them occasionally, then I just scrub them with dish soap, then spray with bleach solution, let it sit for awhile, then rinse and put out in the sun to de-chlorinate.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use baking soda and wash them in hot water then let them air dry. We have 5 boxes, but only use 3 at a time, so we rotate them. Also, don't use anything that can scratch the box. We use an old wash cloth, not a scrubber.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also remember, if you are using the rubbermaid bins, that you can just toss them after so many uses since plastic does hold onto a lot of bacteria. And give the kitties a clean bathroom to start all over in.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use a steam cleaner every week, and let the box(es) air dry. The pressure allows me to get every little bit out of the textured bottom of the box without scrubbing, and no chemicals are needed. There's no odor, either.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest steam. That is how I clean the floor of the kitty's room. Boiling water is a great germ killer.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I use a steam cleaner every week, and let the box(es) air dry. The pressure allows me to get every little bit out of the textured bottom of the box without scrubbing, and no chemicals are needed. There's no odor, either.
what kind of steam cleaner?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

what kind of steam cleaner?
I've had a Kärcher steam cleaner for a decade. Mine's bigger than the one in the video. This new model seems to be the closest to it: SC 1402. The iron is fantastic, so well worth getting if you have a lot of stuff that has to be pressed.
I literally clean just about everything, including windows and the stove, parquet and laminate floors, etc., with the steam cleaner. It was expensive, but I've probably long since gotten my money back by not having to buy cleansers, etc., and I don't have to worry about the pets getting toxic substances on their paws or fur.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

One thing I found that works great just for routine cleaning the boxes is the cat pee/poo removing solutions from the pet store (for cleaning up when pets have accidents). This stuff is made to neutralize the bacteria in pet pee and poop, and most types are formulated to be harmless to animals (as long as they're not being bathed in it!), and people as well.

In the US I like "Get Serious" which can be found at Petsmart, maybe Petco? In the UK "Urine Off" works great but I have only been able to find it in specialty pet shops. Make sure to get one that says it cleans up cat pee, which has a far stronger odor than dog pee.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take mine everytime I dump them outside use my hose and spray them clean then fill them up with some bleach and water to soak rinse and let dry..

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've had a Kärcher steam cleaner for a decade. Mine's bigger than the one in the video. This new model seems to be the closest to it: SC 1402. The iron is fantastic, so well worth getting if you have a lot of stuff that has to be pressed.
I literally clean just about everything, including windows and the stove, parquet and laminate floors, etc., with the steam cleaner. It was expensive, but I've probably long since gotten my money back by not having to buy cleansers, etc., and I don't have to worry about the pets getting toxic substances on their paws or fur.
Wow I just watched that video! Is it available in America!??!?!?? I like the fact that it comes with an iron attachment and special ironing board

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Russian Kitten - Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing myself. My DBF and I have had our kittens for 2 months now and I just disinfected the dome shaped Booda box. I dumped everything out, used hot water and some vinegar and a scrub brush. Rinsed with hot water and used an old towel to dry. Seems to work fine since they are going to the bathroom in it.

I'll probably try the liquid dish detergent and water solution or may look into the Get Serious brand like furbum has suggested. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of storage space here so I can't really go and buy a second litter pan as a spare.