Canker sore...

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cut the inside of my lip last week and it turned into a canker sore. It has been a week and it has gotten bigger and isnt going away. It hurts like h**l anytime I move my mouth or it gets touched by anything. I have been washing it with warm salt water and putting med stuff on it and staying away from certain acidic foods. I am getting worried just because i have never had one this long. Anybody have any remedies that could help it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that was helpful, I might try some of the treatments listed. I probably got it from all the stress I have been under
. I dont know if I can wait 1-3 weeks for this to heal!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swish with some diluted hydrogen peroxide (half water, half peroxide) or get a q-tip and dab peroxide directly on the sore. Do this a couple times a day at least. Peroxide does taste a bit bitter, just to warn you.
Of course, brush your teeth a bit more often, too, as that will help.

I get oral ulcers quite often, and they generally pop up for no reason - I suspect a link to my other health problems since that seems common. Using peroxide usually has them healing up that same day.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ Thanks I will try that, although I must admit that sounds like it will burn a lot!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

I cut the inside of my lip last week and it turned into a canker sore. It has been a week and it has gotten bigger and isnt going away. It hurts like h**l anytime I move my mouth or it gets touched by anything. I have been washing it with warm salt water and putting med stuff on it and staying away from certain acidic foods. I am getting worried just because i have never had one this long. Anybody have any remedies that could help it?
My mother used powdered alum dissolved in water, applied to the sore with a cotton ball.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

^ Thanks I will try that, although I must admit that sounds like it will burn a lot!!
It doesn't, actually. There may be a slight sting if the sore is deep but the pain won't be any worse than it already is. Alcohol, such as in mouth washes, would really burn, though.

If you think about it, does peroxide really burn when you use it on a cut?
I've never noticed it really doing so. Depending on the tooth paste you use, it may already have a littler peroxide in it, as well.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use something called Kanka mouth pain liquid. I got mine at Walgreens, it's the only thing I have used that numbs it REALLY good, and helps it go away fast. A few days ago I got 2 canker sores from biting myself, and Kanka took it away in a couple days!

Only downside is that it stings when you apply it, but then it goes completely numb and feels great.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp15811_33...l_strength.htm

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I cut the inside of my lip last week and it turned into a canker sore. It has been a week and it has gotten bigger and isnt going away. It hurts like h**l anytime I move my mouth
get well soon .. i have one right now, inside the upper lip toward the left side. ugggghhhhh. i dont get them often now. years ago (80's and 90's) i would get them more often. i think i'm gonna get some hydrogen peroxide or click on that "kanka" link (never heard of it til now) .. the worst one ever was in the 80's. it was in my lower lip and my upper canine pressed directly into it. because of that, that particular one took like 3 weeks to heal and i thought it would never go away. this one's not so bad (i take that back - they're all horrid)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

does anyone know how they even start to begin with?
Sort of. Injury is the most common cause, the abrasion or cut then becomes infected because mouths are very very dirty.

Other causes include sensitivities to things like toothpaste itself (sodium lauryl sulfate is a harsher cleaner than many realize). Various viruses can cause them. Allergies. Fungal infections. Problems with the immune system, both autoimmunity and immunodeficiency. Cancer. And even vitamin deficiencies. A diet in too acidic of foods.
If you have dry mouth, or sleep with your mouth open, that could increase your chance of getting them as your saliva protects your mouth and to a degree controls bacteria levels. There's also dental problems which can be a cause.

A lot of medications can cause them as a side effect, as well.

A very brief and vague run down of causes.

For most of us I'm willing to bet it's just a combination of injury, diet, and maybe some vitamin deficiencies. Unless you get them very often and they're bad, don't worry too much.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take a vitamin B12 to prevent them since I read it was from a B-12 deficiancy.

I also take a vitamin c tablet and let it dissolve on the sore...its weird but it works for me...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

I take a vitamin B12 to prevent them since I read it was from a B-12 deficiancy.
Only if you have a B12 deficiency. If your levels are otherwise normal, you may just be taking a useless supplement.

Sort of like how people with rheumatoid arthritis can get oral ulcers more often, but just because you get oral ulcers doesn't mean you have RA.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

Wow, I'm surprised no one's recommended l-lysiene. I've always taken that for cold sores.
Probably because a cold sore is a sore caused by an flare up of type 1 herpes simplex - these are on the outside of the mouth.
Canker sores, correct term oral ulcers (or apthous ulcers), refer to sores inside the mouth and while type 1 herpes simplex can cause them as well, it's not the sole cause. See all of the causes I listed.
l-lysiene won't do anything for someone who either has a sharp tooth (usually it's those canines that prove to be a problem), overbite, or bad habit of biting the inside of their lips - such as the OP did. Nor will it help those who love acidic foods - one of the most common causes.
Or any of the other numerous causes that have little to due with a virus.

Again: cold sore = outside the mouth and canker sore/oral ulcer = inside the mouth. Lots of people confuse the two.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Only if you have a B12 deficiency. If your levels are otherwise normal, you may just be taking a useless supplement.

Sort of like how people with rheumatoid arthritis can get oral ulcers more often, but just because you get oral ulcers doesn't mean you have RA.
I guess I should have mentioned I'm low on the B12 and Iron normally. Its when I DON"T take my supplements that I get the canker sores...sorry I should have been more clear!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom told me to take some of her B-complex pills....im bad and dont take vitamins
. I know I am bad! Yes my problem is acidic foods....i love soda and I have been trying to eliminate it to get rid of these canker sores. Did I mention i now have one on the same side of my other one on my tongue?
It is small but that bugger hurts! I have been gurgling this oral rinse stuff for canker sores, ithas hydrogen peroxide in it, and afterwards my mouth feels a lot better.....but still no real progress. I cant eat anything, im limited to things I can chew on one side, its a major bummer. Also I have severe chapped lips, im not sure why, except for when I am asleep maybe they are getting chapped?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did I mention i now have one on the same side of my other one on my tongue?
It is small but that bugger hurts!
More

sigh

Cankers on the tongue suuuuccckkkkkkkkkkk ... I haven't had one of those in years but I remember the misery.

Anyway, I bought some "Kanka" yesterday and hydrogen peroxide. I'm using the Kanka like every 4 hours
and certainly before eating

Cant wait til this is gone gone gone

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough, I happened to hear a little bit of "Doctor Radio" on Sirius radio last night. One of the doctor hosts said he had a canker sore, and while they were on the air, they had a call from Dr. Lee, who produces a remedy for canker sores. Keep in mind, these are doctors from a reputable teaching hospital (University of New York?) who were acquainted with the product already, and said it works well.

Here's a link:

http://www.edentalstuff.com/CankerSore.html

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

I guess I should have mentioned I'm low on the B12 and Iron normally. Its when I DON"T take my supplements that I get the canker sores...sorry I should have been more clear!
Yep, that's a good bit of information. Do you take the regular cheap form - cyanocobalamin? or do you take one of the better quality forms that doesn't break down leaving (typically safe) amounts of cyanide? Most people are fine with the cheap stuff but some people can't process it very well (or at all) and some people actually do eventually have problems from the cyanide.

Also I have severe chapped lips, im not sure why, except for when I am asleep maybe they are getting chapped?
Do you use anything on your lips? If you do, a lot of commercial ones like Chapstick can actually make your lips worse. I used to use stuff on mine because they were always chapped. I stopped using anything at all and wouldn't you know it? - my lips stopped getting chapped.
(note: my skin has proven to be sensitive to the weirdest things, though)
Chapped lips could be anything from how you sleep at night, or even a vitamin deficiency.