Any opinions on what breed of cat this is?

saffron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all
Last week I adopted a cat from a woman who runs a pet boarding facility. She says she had been fostering the kitten from a ragdoll breeder, who supposedly was breeding ragdolls with snowshoes to make a shorterhair ragdoll cat (all the personality of a ragdoll with the hair of a snowshoe). She said the kitten is 9 months old now and has actually already given birth, which is why she is so small. She said the kitten is 3/4 ragdoll and 1/4 snowshoe but I don't know if I agree. She does have very short hair, and the woman says she is a blue lynx point and she's got big beautiful blue eyes. But she's so small, only a little over 6 pounds and doesn't seem to have any of the ragdoll personality I've read about. She's not a fan of being helpd she is vocal, she does climb and isn't very cuddly (but I'm sure a lot of that could just be because we're still new to her, she loves to be pet if she approaches you, but she rarely ever purrs). I'll post some pictures, and hopefully someone can give me some insight as to what I may have

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saffron

Hello all
Last week I adopted a cat from a woman who runs a pet boarding facility. She says she had been fostering the kitten from a ragdoll breeder, who supposedly was breeding ragdolls with snowshoes to make a shorterhair ragdoll cat (all the personality of a ragdoll with the hair of a snowshoe). She said the kitten is 9 months old now and has actually already given birth, which is why she is so small. She said the kitten is 3/4 ragdoll and 1/4 snowshoe but I don't know if I agree. She does have very short hair, and the woman says she is a blue lynx point and she's got big beautiful blue eyes. But she's so small, only a little over 6 pounds and doesn't seem to have any of the ragdoll personality I've read about. She's not a fan of being helpd she is vocal, she does climb and isn't very cuddly (but I'm sure a lot of that could just be because we're still new to her, she loves to be pet if she approaches you, but she rarely ever purrs). I'll post some pictures, and hopefully someone can give me some insight as to what I may have

SO, this woman is basically a backyard breeder creating one more designer breed... I hope she is not going forward with this project... do you know if she is? You didn't buy the kitty, right? You said you adopted? I hope?
Anyways, she is a cutie!!!
I have two ragdolls - Even though they are VERY VERY sweet, neither of them are lap cats... They let me hold them, but they don't necessarily enjoy it. One of them ,the Seal Lynx, is actually quite vocal - my white one isn't... Bugsy doesn't climb much because he is too fat I think... 18lbs! Lucky does climb. Bugsy is LAAAAAZZYY. Lucky is pretty lazy too, if you compare her to the regular kitty...
But her hair is way too short to be 3/4 Ragdoll IMO...
Anyway, Very cute girl you got there!! They are the best cats EVER!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no recognised breed created from the breeds mentioned, you have a domestic shorthair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saffron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The woman I adopted the cat from said the reason she had taken the kittens from the original owner (I think she fostered 3) was because she was trying to get her to stop breeding the cats. I'm not sure if she convinced her to or not.

And I agree about the hair, it being so short was one of the reasons I didn't think she could have so much ragdoll in her.

So that's it, just a DSH? I don't know much about cat breeds, so I don't know how indepth breeds can get or if it's all pretty basic. I guess it's not at all like mixed dog breeds?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Just" a DSH sounds so mean!!! Buts yes - you basically got yourself a mixed cat... but, you can say she is a Ragdoll mix, or a Snowshoe Mix, which she is... but she is a mix... That doesn't make her any less of a kitty though...

saffron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not supposed to sound mean, I just wasn't sure if DSH covered all bases or what. It seemed more like a generalization than an actual breed. Like I said, I'm pretty much a n00b about this whole cat breed thing. I just want to know as much as I can, and understand our new baby better. I'm still trying to get her to come out of her shell, especially around the dog and my son, but she's doing better with us adults luckily

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

you can say she is a Ragdoll mix, or a Snowshoe Mix, which she is.
Nitpicking a little, the only way you can say that is if you know the parents are papered cats of that breed - and there is no way to say that in this case.
Especially with Snowshoes being a rare breed, I wouldn't think there are many people selling entires.

DSH is a generalisation, most cats are 'just' domestics with no real breed behind them.
A friend of mine says domestics are the best breed, because every one is different

Your girl is very pretty, regardless of any breeds she may or may not have behind her.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Nitpicking a little, the only way you can say that is if you know the parents are papered cats of that breed - and there is no way to say that in this case.
Especially with Snowshoes being a rare breed, I wouldn't think there are many people selling entires.

DSH is a generalisation, most cats are 'just' domestics with no real breed behind them.
A friend of mine says domestics are the best breed, because every one is different

Your girl is very pretty, regardless of any breeds she may or may not have behind her.
If what the foster said is true, then I stand correct, meaning the cats can be ragdoll mix and or snowshoes mix.
Is there anyway to get information on the parents?

saffron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True, I have no way at all of knowing how much ragdoll or snowshoe she has behind her other than the word of her foster mom.

We named her Willow...thanks for the compliments

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saffron

True, I have no way at all of knowing how much ragdoll or snowshoe she has behind her other than the word of her foster mom.

We named her Willow...thanks for the compliments
I can see Ragdoll Features on her face... minus the fur....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very pretty cat, but not any kind of purebred (even if claimed). For one thing the cat has NO white on it. And purebred Snowshoe cats are only in the 4 colors of the Siamese - seal, blue, chocolate, lilac. There are no "lynx-point" Snowshoes.

Its a backyard breeder. I would just call her a lavender/lilac lynx point domestic shorthair. IMO she is not a blue lynx point.