TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Mother Staying With Kitten 24/7......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mother Staying With Kitten 24/7......

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
My kitten just turned 7 weeks and hes starting to eat more kibble.
Hes kept in the basement with the mother and is running all over the place now.. He has been using the litter and covering it like a little angel

I was just wondering if it was normal for the mother to be constantly down there with the kitten, even at 7 weeks.
She has also become more timid since the kitten has grown and seems to be very edgy and anti-social. Will her behavior go back to normal once the kitten starts to come upstairs?


Heres a picture of Peeko at about 6 weeks.
post #2 of 10
Has she been spayed? She very likely will undergo a mellowing change once she is spayed.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
Has she been spayed? She very likely will undergo a mellowing change once she is spayed.
No she hasnt, we are planning on doing it within the next 2 or 3 weeks tho. We didnt want to take her away from her kitten yet

Also, when we got her on July 1st.. We didnt know she was pregnant .. What would of happened if we went to go get her fixed and she was pregnant?
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaaM View Post
My kitten just turned 7 weeks and hes starting to eat more kibble.
Hes kept in the basement with the mother and is running all over the place now.. He has been using the litter and covering it like a little angel

I was just wondering if it was normal for the mother to be constantly down there with the kitten, even at 7 weeks.
She has also become more timid since the kitten has grown and seems to be very edgy and anti-social. Will her behavior go back to normal once the kitten starts to come upstairs?


Heres a picture of Peeko at about 6 weeks.
Oh my gosh! What a cutie!!!
post #5 of 10
He is ADORABLE!!!

I have noticed with Peaches that at first she didn't spend very much time with her kittens but as they get more & more active she's spending more the day with them. I found the same is true with my toddler I miss mid-morning nap time!

I'm not sure, but she may just be sticking close because they are at the curious age when they are going to get into trouble! She should back off soon as she weaned though .
post #6 of 10
What a cute little baby! I would want to stay with him all the time, too.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaaM View Post
What would of happened if we went to go get her fixed and she was pregnant?
Has she been outside since the kitten was born? If so, she could be pregnant again. If she is pregnant when you take her to be spayed, you can still go through with the spay. It will abort the kittens, but this may be for the best. It's very hard on a mother cat to have back-to-back pregnancies like that, and the complication could get dangerous (and expensive). Some vets charge extra for a pregnant spay, some don't.

My vet says the mother cat can be spayed when the kittens are 9 weeks old. You only have to keep her separated for about 3 days, so don't worry too much about separating her from her baby. He can get by for 3 days .
post #8 of 10
Oh my gosh, that is probably one of the cutest kittens I've ever seen.
post #9 of 10
What a cute kitten! If you had gotten her fixed then they would've just done a spay/abort. Hope mama mellows out for you =0)
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
She is actually an indoor cat and while she was still with my cousin she got out but he didnt know.

She has not been out since the birth and we do not plan on letting her go out..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Mother Staying With Kitten 24/7......