Color Changing Cat!

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty has been worrying me. I saw a large brown spot of fur on his chin that I only just noticed. The skin under the fur is black. I've been examining it, it doesn't seem to hurt or bother him, doesn't look scabby, just looks like a pigment change. But it scared me because I'm fairly sure, positive, he didn't have that before.

Do cats change colors and markings over time? I washed his chin, and it isn't dirt.
Confused. Should I see a vet? Is this normal for cats, to just change skin color in spots like this!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how old is your kitty, and how fast did this happen? can you post a picture of it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jessie won't hold still long enough for me to take a picture. I' use the same hard plastic dishes for food and water that I've always used for him. I don't know if it happened gradually, I only just noticed that the skin was black, I always just thought his fur was dirty and finally got annoyed and washed it today. It may have started showing up when the new cat arrived? I dunno. He's only 16 months old.

I'll try and take a picture.

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you take a picture of a cat that will not stop moving? D: D: Now my batteries have to recharge, bah. -.-

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait till your kitty is taking an afternoon nap and be as subtle as possible. Your thread isn't going anywhere anytime soon - you can update later when you have time.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Firecat

Jessie won't hold still long enough for me to take a picture. I' use the same hard plastic dishes for food and water that I've always used for him. I don't know if it happened gradually, I only just noticed that the skin was black, I always just thought his fur was dirty and finally got annoyed and washed it today. It may have started showing up when the new cat arrived? I dunno. He's only 16 months old.

I'll try and take a picture.
Plastic dishes are notorious for causing acne. Fine scratches in the surface harbor bacteria that get on kitties chin when they try to pick up food.

Also, how often do you wash their dishes? Food dishes should be washed once a day at a minimum and preferably after every use. Water dishes can go a little longer but should also
be frequently washed.

Here's a picture of a cat with feline acne:

http://www.azstarnet.com/ss/2006/08/22/143035-1.jpg

Also, see this link for more information:

http://www.cat-world.com.au/FelineAcne.htm

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, here are some pictures, the few he was willing to sit in one place for. I'll keep trying, this doesn't show the darkish skin under the fur, just the dark color the fur itself is turning.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok - I can't see it well... If the fur is what is changing... then it is probably just getting older... cats do get considerably darker as they age.... So I would not worry about it...

If there are black spots underneath it, try to rub your fingernail and see if some black stuff comes off - that is feline acne...

Feline acne can be prevented by having stainless or glass dishes, cleaning them often, plus there are some cleaning techniques that you can use on the chin itself... Some cats have more tendency than others - here only Bugsy has it, but he doesn't get it infected, so it just means a little more work on grooming.... I use my nails and a flea comb. For the stubborn residue i just wipe it off with a first aid wound wash (saline solution)...
You need to make sure you clean it some what often to avoid it getting infected though... but it is not that much of a deal....

Anyways, this is just my two cents, for what it is worth...

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, i don't know anything about spots, but My mother's cat Minx was born silver with charcoal points, but starting developing other colors about 12 weeks old. Now she's 3 years old and a difuse calico. So Yes, cat colors can change. Some more drastically than others.

firecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I feel less alarmed now. I did a much closer inspection, and the skin is NOT changing color, its just the fur, in fact the fur is changing color from the base, dark brown, to the tip, very light. So its not a skin problem I'm guessing, just color changing. But maybe the fur is stained, and thats why normal washing isn't gonna remove it?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah.... IMO she is just changing colors....... like the majority of cats do with age... If you want to feel 100% safe.... take her to the vet. But unless she is a white kitty, chances are she will change colors. Lucky got WAY darker since she got here...
Good luck!