Understanding Cat Language? lol

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, I was petting my kitty yesterday and she purred very loudly (making me very happy with myself). Anyway, as she purred, she would expand her claws out and pull them back in. Sorry, can't describe it well, she'd push her claws out, pull them in, and sort of knead the carpet. Her tail thrashed side to side very fast. Never had this happen, usually cat purrs for a few minutes and then leaves. But my cat (Minnie) was totally thriving for my attention (I think...) She also rubbed her head against my legs and chest and would circle me. I'm thinking she was really happy! Right?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all of that was telling you how happy she is with you and how much she loves you.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meminikitty

Hungry?

I understand happy... but hungry? lol please explain, you got me very curious now
Yes, that's what we've experienced - our cats are especially loving when they are hungry.

They show us various ways they're hungry - i.e. wrapping themselves around our legs as we try to walk, loud meows, - depending on the cat, it can be all kinds of ways of them communicating they want to be fed.

When we are sitting, or laying down, they use the method of purring and cuddling to communicate they want to be fed.

After they are fed, we don't get the attention like that until it's time for their next feeding.

They are especially loving when they are hungry. Our little calico usually doesn't want to be picked up, but, when she's hungry I can pick her up, scrub on her, rub her tummy - all the while she is purring and thoroughly enjoying the attention. But, if she's not hungry - she's just not as acceptable to all the petting, etc..