Down boy! DOWN!

moondio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok.. first off, I know my little guy is only 16 weeks old, and bound to be a little roudy...
But my goodness! What is the difference between being full of energy and just plain crazy?

Louie, seems to be a night owl, and since I'm a light sleeper, I am woken up all night long (unless I take sleeping aids) from him jumping around on my bed to play with Diamond (she's about 10, and doesnt play back) or running around under my bed. I would go the sleeping aid route, but we have noticed that if I ignore him when he's trying to get my attention, he'll urinate in my bed.

What can I do?

btw, I have determined his urniating problem is NOT a UTI, and his black spots are healing..

OH! and why in the world does he persist on climbing behind EVERYTHING?? (my fridge, washer/dryer stack, book shelves.. everything)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a very typical kitten, actually! At just 4 weeks old, he doesn't necessarily have complete control over his bladder, and doesn't notice soon enough that he has to go. Locate something in your home or buy some of those plastic storage boxes - something you can stack up to the height of your bed. Put it next to the bed and put a litter box on it.

Of if he can easily get up and down from your bed, just set a litter box right next to your bed.

Or, for the next few weeks, perhaps put him in a guest room or the bathroom - with water, food, litter box, & etc. for the night.

Either way - play with him for a solid half hour very interactively before you go to bed - get him really running around. Feed him some treats, and tell him goodnight. It takes them a little while, just like babies - but he will be able to make it through the night (at some point) without your attention. But using up a lot of that kitten energy before you go to bed will (eventually) help.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Locate something in your home or buy some of those plastic storage boxes - something you can stack up to the height of your bed. Put it next to the bed and put a litter box on it.
And hope you don't roll over in bed and stick an arm out.
Somehow I can picture that happening to a lot of people in their sleep.

With past kittens I've grabbed them and made them cuddle next to me and sleep. It worked so well with one that three years later he now sleeps that way nearly every night - head tucked under my chin with his cold wet nose in my neck...
It's not guaranteed to work with all kittens and it won't prevent them from getting up later, though.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone had this problem with a younger kitten - the problem was that the kitty had a little trouble getting up and down from the bed. My original suggestion had been to place a litter box on the floor next to the bed. I realized as I was writing this kitty was a little older, thus a little bigger... hopefully anyone trying this would have the common sense to put an "up" litter box down at the end of the bed - and a litterbox next to the bed on the floor where you wouldn't step in it when you wake up having forgotten about it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I realized as I was writing this kitty was a little older, thus a little bigger... hopefully anyone trying this would have the common sense to put an "up" litter box down at the end of the bed - and a litterbox next to the bed on the floor where you wouldn't step in it when you wake up having forgotten about it!
Well if anyone reading does make a mistake, I hope they post and share their funny story!
Unfortunately, I'd be one of those sharing that story if I were to attempt this.

Good luck with your little bundle of energy moondio. It's one of the joys of having a kitten and one of the reasons I prefer adult cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moondio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hanks for the advvice. I have an extremely small apartment, and other than urinating on his kitty tower (we don't get why he does that either) he has no problem finding the potty. He will only urinate out of spitefulness (he went 2.5 weeks without doing it)
I will deffinately make a playtime though.

I'm more worried about him climbing behind a fridge or dryer and getting stuck. Any advice on that? I've tried putting obsticals in the way but he moves them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moondio

He will only urinate out of spitefulness
Animals don't do things out of spitefulness. That's a human behavior. Something triggers cats into doing this, whether it be stress, illness, wrong litters, etc.

The sooner people learn that an animal is just an animal who has their own set of behaviors and responses that are much different than ours, the better. It makes it easier to tackle problems and you won't end up mad at or resenting your kitties.