TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Wilson - Reprimanded???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wilson - Reprimanded??? - Page 2

post #31 of 59
The Left is wearing out the race care, they are overusing it and that is very unfortunate. Playing that race to many times is going to backfire on the Left.

"Townhalls like KKK meeting" - ridiculous statement, entirely false.

I guess, according to some people, Americans are not allowed to disagree with Barack Obama because he is the first black POTUS. Give me a break, for the vast majority of people disagreeing with Barack, it has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the color of his skin.

And just so people know, Many, many on the Left called President Bush, "Hitler". The only difference is, the people on the Right didn't whine about it.

Here is a little video with the song, "George Bush is Hitler"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DjjJDMfkvY

Wow, I think that guy was singing that song at a KKK meeting.

Here is another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tTQ34y4Ww0

And another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG-zQ...eature=related

And another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2g...eature=related

There is more but I'm tired.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
But there are people who ARE racist and the Wilson outburst is a disrespect to the office of the president, it suggest people do not take the office of president as seriously as they would if it was held by a white male because I know no one has disrespected a US president like this.
I agree, there are racists out there. There always will be stupid people. It's a fact of life, unfortunatly. What I don't understand is where you come to the conclusion that Wilson is racist when he just commented on something said in a speech? Was he rude? Definitely. Was he out of line? Yes, of course. Was he racist? You tell me. Don't we still have the right to disagree with the President?

I'm not going to tiptoe through the next 4 (or 3 1/2) yrs trying to be polically correct about our president. I'm sorry. He's a human. I'm still waiting for him to actually do something besides give money away.
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Umm okay sure, Rev. Wright is preaching hate towards jews and whites...But that is different than the racism against Obama and blacks in general, Rev Wright- he is simply preaching, he isn't doing anything in order to oppress anyone. It would be different if he was a hiring manager and wasn't hiring whites for example. That would make him a true racist. Simply hating and preaching doesn't make one a racist, it just makes one prejudiced..there has to be actions involved for it to become racism.

WOW, just wow, this has GOT to be the most illogical post you have ever made, no offense intended but I am speechless here and that doesn't happen often. The above statement made my mouth drop open
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racist
Quote:
Racist
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
The simple fact that the Rev Wright is up there preaching is an action of itself.



And so far as I can see, whites are not underpriviledged or oppressed in any way- in fact whites make up most government jobs, hold the most phds and make up the biggest percentage of the upper middle to upper class...So why waste your energy trying to find evidence that Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or Rev. Wright are racists when there is no system of oppression against whites to begin with???

Yes, that usually happens when one group of people are in the majority, Black people constitute what percentage of the U.S. population? 12%
Black people CAN be racists also Utopia.


I was so upset when they were trying to call judge Sotomayor racist...this is the same thing. Wow. I am at a loss for words, because it's ridiculous how superficial people can be, not just one or two people but the majority of people who believe that race is not an issue in the US anymore and that racism has apparently reversed and it is now blacks and hispanics who are racist against whites..

I have lived decades longer than you and I can tell you from the experience of having lived through it that race relations in this country are eons better than they were when I was young. I lived through the Civil Rights Movement, I saw REAL racism and I can tell you I am proud of how far my country has come.
Yes, there is still racists of all colors and there probably always will be but you don't have a clue how far we have come because you weren't there.


ETA: I forgot to mention- of course no one is saying that if you don't agree with Obama you are a racist!! Dusty's mom- I understand that a lot of people don't think in terms of race. And if you don't think in terms of race- you've probably never HAD to, you've never been prejudiced yourself and you haven't experienced racism towards you. So of course, if that is the case with you- you aren't going to be thinking in terms of race. Most of these people though- like Wright and ever Carter- have dealt with racism before and if it wasn't personally, going to law school definitely requires courses where you study it and that way you can recognize it. But just because YOU and your community and circle of friends don't think in terms of race, that doesn't mean that no one in this country does. I think the biggest proof that there are people out there who DO see Obama in terms of race are the pictures from town halls.
Sorry, I won't apologize or feel guilty for the color of MY skin either
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I wasn't trying to say that everyone who disagrees with Obama is a racist subconsciously. That would be ridiculous. But there are people who ARE racist and the Wilson outburst is a disrespect to the office of the president, it suggest people do not take the office of president as seriously as they would if it was held by a white male because I know no one has disrespected a US president like this. They have disagreed, ridiculed presidents but never to their face during a speech.

Wrong, here is a video of President Bush addressing a Joint Session of Congress during his State Of the Union Address in 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBxmE...layer_embedded

I am just saying, those of you who haven't experienced racism will not understand and will continue shouting that racism is over, we don't think in terms of color, etc, etc...just because you feel that way doesn't mean that's true for everyone in the US.
For example, if you disagree with the president and ridicule his beliefs, politics- that is one thing and it's okay because it doesn't get personal and there is some constructive criticism there, another thing is to hold signs of him with Hitler's mustache drawn in or his portrait distorted to Batman's joker or a sign saying "N***r President bullshit" which are all signs i've seen around here.

Well, I have showed you in a previous post how many on the left did the "Hitler" thing with President Bush, many on the left also did the "monkey" thing with President Bush. And I have see NO signs at the Town Halls OR the Rally last Saturday, none, zip, nada, not ONE sign that had the "N" word on it. So you are going to have to post some evidence of that.

These things are personal attacks and don't have much to do with arguments against his politics. Well they could be, but they are more flat out offenses, it's not criticism that is in any way constructive. There are a lot of normal people, heck almost all republicans who don't agree with Obama- but they have good reasons for it and they are willing to defend their reasoning and that is perfectly fine.
By crying racism over every little, perceived thing, it is like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, when the real thing comes along, no one is going to believe you. (General you)
post #35 of 59
And lest we forget, at Barack's inaugeration, President Bush arriving and President Bush is STILL President, power has not been transferred yet.

People want to talk about respect for the office of the President of the United States, look at this disgusting display of disrespect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCR9d...eature=related


Forgive me if I don't get in a tizzy because some guy called Barack out for the lie he was telling. And I, for sure, do not think his "You lie" statement means he is a racist.

Was it rude, sure. He apologized, MOVE ON.

But Congress doesn't have enough to do, they have plenty of time to spare on this stuff.
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
I agree, there are racists out there. There always will be stupid people. It's a fact of life, unfortunatly. What I don't understand is where you come to the conclusion that Wilson is racist when he just commented on something said in a speech? Was he rude? Definitely. Was he out of line? Yes, of course. Was he racist? You tell me. Don't we still have the right to disagree with the President?

I'm not going to tiptoe through the next 4 (or 3 1/2) yrs trying to be polically correct about our president. I'm sorry. He's a human. I'm still waiting for him to actually do something besides give money away.

I am not sure that Wilson is racist but I think there is definitely a possibility there that race had a factor in the way he treated Obama. No one can know for sure whether race played a factor, there is simply not enough evidence of that at this point.
post #37 of 59
Quote:
I have lived decades longer than you and I can tell you from the experience of having lived through it that race relations in this country are eons better than they were when I was young. I lived through the Civil Rights Movement, I saw REAL racism and I can tell you I am proud of how far my country has come.
Yes, there is still racists of all colors and there probably always will be but you don't have a clue how far we have come because you weren't there.
I'm sorry, but I prefer not to be satisfied simply with how far things have come and how much better race relations have gotten. I don't want to make myself feel better that way and ignore the injustice that still exists today...
And the dictionary definition you are giving me doesn't matter, it isn't a scholarly definition that people use when they study racism.


Quote:
Racism, defined most completely, is the practice of employing a decision-making methodology according to which decisions can be changed based specifically on the race or races of the people affected by the decisions
or

Quote:
Racism extends considerably beyond prejudiced beliefs. The essential feature of racism is not hostility or misperception, but rather the defense of a system from which advantage is derived on the basis of race. The manner in which the defense is articulated - either with hostility or subtlety - is not nearly as important as the fact that it insures the continuation of a privileged relationship. Thus it is necessary to broaden the definition of racism beyond prejudice to include sentiments that in their consequence, if not in their intent, support the racial status quo
I dunno, I just found these by googling "sociological defition of racism". But racism is something that interests me which is why I knew before I looked this up that racism is something greater than just preaching hate. It is very subtle and takes a lot of analyzing to understand it. I have seen and experienced it and I've just thought to myself "WOW that doesn't seem right" and I couldn't even come up with exactly HOW what happened was racist but I knew it was. This is why I've looked at how scholars define it and study it, in order to understand it better, and sure enough I know that others have documented and explained what has happened to me and how race plays in it...Anyway I don't want to get off topic.
Oh and the N word sign was something I saw around Atlanta actually..

I understand that to you guys it may not seem like criticisms against Obama are extreme. I don't know maybe you are right, I am biased since I am liberal, and I have definitely been guilty of calling Bush names. I mean, one thing is for me or other people to call Bush names, I know i've called him a retard, clown, a million other things. But it's completely different when it's a congressman that calls Obama a liar while interrupting his speech..this is what bothers me. But I am sure people see him as a hero and I could understand that too- I know I'd have been happy to hear someone call Bush a liar, and it wouldn't have mattered if it was a tactless jesture.
But what I could not understand is why people are yelling out that racism is over and race plays no issue. I'm sorry but if race plays no role to YOU, that is GREAT, but it doesn't mean that's the case. You can't just dismiss something just because you don't feel like it pertains to you. I am not saying that I am sure that Wilson is a racist! I could never be sure of something like that and I don't think anyone else can either.

Quote:
Yes, that usually happens when one group of people are in the majority, Black people constitute what percentage of the U.S. population? 12%
Actually I was talking about comparisons of population vs. representation in certain jobs, and black are under represented for their population. It's the reason why they came up with affirmative action (not to start another topic)
post #38 of 59
Thread Starter 
I listened to about 10 mins or so of Obama's speech when he was in Minneapolis (driving home from work). I can easily understand why Wilson blurted out "you lie" during the Congress speech.

IMO I did the same exact thing after listening to him LIE to the people in front of him. He DID LIE and still IS LYING about some of the things in the health bill.

And to listen to his "speech" - it reminded me of someone that was CAMPAIGNING FOR THE OFFICE. The same stuff he's been preaching all along. Nothing new and the same lies being told over and over.

I wish I could just simply ask Obama "have you ACTUALLY read what was in this bill? have you read the areas that we are talking about that you claim are not true?" I seriously don't think he has if he's gonna keep saying its not true about those parts.
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Harry Reid called Bush a liar, in front of the Senate if I remember correctly, let me see if I can find you a video for your perusal. No video
http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/reid_060105.htm
http://amusinghistorymusings.blogspo...bush-liar.html
His exact words here:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennt...y_comment.html
Reid should have received some kind of formal punishment IMO. Either we are all civil and that goes for everyone in all directions or we become animals. The only explanation I can find is that the Senate does not have "Reprimands" the way the House does, they only have the more extreme forms of punishment of Expulsion and Censure.
http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/...on_Censure.htm
I'm not positive about this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
And lest we forget, at Barack's inaugeration, President Bush arriving and President Bush is STILL President, power has not been transferred yet.

People want to talk about respect for the office of the President of the United States, look at this disgusting display of disrespect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCR9d...eature=related

Forgive me if I don't get in a tizzy because some guy called Barack out for the lie he was telling.
The display of disrespect was made by people, not elected officials going about their duty in office. I believe it is called Freedom of Speech and while I think it is a low-class way to make use of it, it is not illegal.

And for the record, Obama was not lying anyway so that certainly is not an excuse.

I've tracked down what I think is the source of the claim that Wilson's outburst was racially motivated and I think I've found it. It's from a column by Maureen Dowd in the NYT (I know I know, it's full of liberal rhetoric , but there are a couple of facts in it i would like to point out. ) Take a look at Wilson's history - there is evidence that the guy IS a racist.
Quote:
Surrounded by middle-aged white guys — a sepia snapshot of the days when such pols ran Washington like their own men’s club — Joe Wilson yelled “You lie!” at a president who didn’t.
...
The congressman, we learned, belonged to the Sons of Confederate Veterans, led a 2000 campaign to keep the Confederate flag waving above South Carolina’s state Capitol and denounced as a “smear” the true claim of a black woman that she was the daughter of Strom Thurmond, the ’48 segregationist candidate for president.
and get this:
Quote:
“A lot of these outbursts have to do with delegitimizing him as a president,” said Rep. Jim Clyburn, a senior member of the South Carolina delegation. Clyburn, the man who called out Bill Clinton on his racially tinged attacks on Obama in the primary, pushed Pelosi to pursue a formal resolution chastising Wilson.
http://www.thestate.com/editorial-co...ry/943334.html

All I can say is hats off to Clyburn.
post #40 of 59
Keep in mind that Republicans have just gone through 8 years of:

"Selected, not elected."

"Impeach Bush now." (These started appearing the day after inauguration!)

"Not MY President!"

"Bush lied, people died."

Smirking Chimp websites.

Code Pink.

Cindy Sheehan

Michael Moore

Congressmen and Senators calling him a liar in their speeches.

NPR, the "What illegal, immoral, or stupid thing the Bush administration has done this week" network.

Yeah, I'd say the Democrats need to suck it up and act like leaders and not be shocked that they get back exactly what they gave.

And Wilson says if he had to do it over again, he wouldn't.

And did you note that a clause for ID check has now been added to both the House and Senate bills? The reason, of course, is that Wilson was partially right, at least. The bills did not exclude illegal immigrants from taking advantage of the system.
post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
And did you note that a clause for ID check has now been added to both the House and Senate bills?
What kind of ID, I wonder? A Social Security card? Or is this a roundabout way of introducing a national ID?
post #42 of 59
How can you exclude illegal aliens from taking advantage of the system when they are not only already doing it, they are the darlings of large US corporations including health insurance companies?
Quote:
At the same time, though, the fast-growing undocumented population is coming to be seen as an untapped engine of growth. In the past several years, big U.S. consumer companies -- banks, insurers, mortgage lenders, credit-card outfits, phone carriers, and others -- have decided that a market of 11 million or so potential customers is simply too big to ignore. It may be against the law for the Valenzuelas to be in the U.S. or for an employer to hire them, but there's nothing illegal about selling to them.

So with a wary eye on the heated political debate, business is targeting the Valenzuelas and millions of others who have entered the country illegally.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3001_mz001.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...ant-usat_x.htm

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insigh...tentId=1748162
post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
Reid should have received some kind of formal punishment IMO. Either we are all civil and that goes for everyone in all directions or we become animals. The only explanation I can find is that the Senate does not have "Reprimands" the way the House does, they only have the more extreme forms of punishment of Expulsion and Censure.
http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/...on_Censure.htm
I'm not positive about this though.

Barack's speech was before a joint session of Congress.



The display of disrespect was made by people, not elected officials going about their duty in office. I believe it is called Freedom of Speech and while I think it is a low-class way to make use of it, it is not illegal.

And for the record, Obama was not lying anyway so that certainly is not an excuse.

The fact of the matter is, Republicans tried to get it in the health care bill that people have to show evidence of citizenship and the Democrats would not allow that. So, that DOES mean people in this country illegally will be able to get health care. FTR, I am not saying I feel that a person should be denied care if they are illegal.

I've tracked down what I think is the source of the claim that Wilson's outburst was racially motivated and I think I've found it. It's from a column by Maureen Dowd in the NYT (I know I know, it's full of liberal rhetoric , but there are a couple of facts in it i would like to point out. ) Take a look at Wilson's history - there is evidence that the guy IS a racist.

and get this:

http://www.thestate.com/editorial-co...ry/943334.html

All I can say is hats off to Clyburn.
That is not evidence to me, I don't believe everyone that wants the Confederate flag to stay legal is a racist for goodness sakes. I believe that for many people it is just a source of Southern pride. The Civil War started because the South wanted to secede from the Union.
For some people it may be a racist thing but I don't think it is for all.

As for Clyburn, I think he is misguided. SHOW me where Bill Clinton EVER made "racially tinged" comments during the election. That is baloney


Utopia, I never sad racism does not exist in this country, read my posts, I said this country has come a long way and it has. I also said for most people disagreeing with Barack has nothing to do with race.
post #44 of 59
Just to be clear, I am not in favor of anyone playing the system and getting a free ride. I think that any time you have a system which is designed as a safety net you are going to have slimes who will try to abuse it, just as if you allow unregulated capitalism, there will be people who will find a way to stick it to their fellow man. Some people are pigs and unless you find a way to regulate and enforce everything, someoen will find a way to abuse the system.

I do have a question for those who insist on proof of citizenship to receive medical care: What do you do about people who are visiting here from other countries legitimately and become ill? I mean, picture it the other way around, you are on vacation or on a business trip in a foreign country, and become seriously ill. You would expect to be able to receive emergency medical care, right?

The confederate flag incident isn't proof to me either. My willingness to believe that Wilson is a racist is based on his smear campaign directed at Strom Thurmond's daughter. It's not her fault that Thurmond was her father, yet Wilson chose to call it a "smear."
http://www.alan.com/2009/09/10/wilso...ghter-in-2003/

I agree with you that for most people a disagreement is a disagreement and it has nothing to do with race. I do think that some people subconciously allow race and for that matter gender to determine how they treat them. If you don't believe me, take a look at this OT article on how race and gender influence what kind of a deal you get when buying a car.

Warning about this link, the pdf file is over 470 MB so don't click unless you have a fast internet connection.
http://kids.law.yale.edu/ayers/Ayres...0New%20Car.pdf

First page only here so it loads faster:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2118176
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I am not sure that Wilson is racist but I think there is definitely a possibility there that race had a factor in the way he treated Obama. No one can know for sure whether race played a factor, there is simply not enough evidence of that at this point.
See, this is what burns me up. Disagreeing with the president happens all the time. You didn't like Bush and you had a right to your opinion. But now, if someone doesn't agree with Obama, they are racist (or prejudiced). I'm not necessarily talking about Wilson, I'm talking about anyone who disagrees with him. I refused to get into discussions with people at work about the campaign last year because as soon as I said I didn't like Obama, I was called racist (and I live in a small community in West Virginia that is extremely conservative).

It seems to me that most of the people that bring up race are people that defend Obama. So, just because he happens to be black, people can't disagree with him without being racist? Living in Georgia, I don't know what it's like and what you've witnessed. I know there will always be stupid people that judge based on race, sex, religion, etc. But I think that the majority of people in the US have gotten past that. It seems like it's people like you that bring up the race card (no offense intended), not the people that disagree.
post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
See, this is what burns me up. Disagreeing with the president happens all the time. You didn't like Bush and you had a right to your opinion. But now, if someone doesn't agree with Obama, they are racist (or prejudiced). I'm not necessarily talking about Wilson, I'm talking about anyone who disagrees with him. I refused to get into discussions with people at work about the campaign last year because as soon as I said I didn't like Obama, I was called racist (and I live in a small community in West Virginia that is extremely conservative).

It seems to me that most of the people that bring up race are people that defend Obama. So, just because he happens to be black, people can't disagree with him without being racist? Living in Georgia, I don't know what it's like and what you've witnessed. I know there will always be stupid people that judge based on race, sex, religion, etc. But I think that the majority of people in the US have gotten past that. It seems like it's people like you that bring up the race card (no offense intended), not the people that disagree.
Well, what burns me up is that people can think that the US has gotten past the race issue. You still seem to think that I'm trying to say that disagreeing with our black president makes you a racist. That is nowhere near what I was saying. I'm sorry that your co workers were so ignorant as to say that you are racist for not supporting him...But I sure don't like that you are putting me in that same category as them.
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Well, what burns me up is that people can think that the US has gotten past the race issue. You still seem to think that I'm trying to say that disagreeing with our black president makes you a racist. That is nowhere near what I was saying. I'm sorry that your co workers were so ignorant as to say that you are racist for not supporting him...But I sure don't like that you are putting me in that same category as them.
Who, on this thread, has EVER said that the US "has gotten past the race issue?" Who? Because I have not seen it. I need you to answer this question.

As far as saying, earlier in the thread, by someone that many people voted FOR Barack because he is black, I agree with that. I, fully, believe that many more people voted FOR him because he IS black than voted AGAINST for the same reason.

Why do I say this? I saw how ACORN went into the inner cites and registered hundreds of thousands of people to vote. I also say many,
"Man On The Street" interviews where interviewers stopped people on the street and asked them who they were voting for. They said "Barack Obama" and the interviewer would ask, "So you agree with Barack Obama's policies and what he wants to do from the country" or words to that effect.
The people would say "Yes" Then the interviewer would go on to read a list of JOHN McCAIN'S policies and would ask, "This is what you think Barack Obama should do" and they would all say "Yes" Many, many, first time voters did not have a clue.

But, I have to say this, if I were black I would want a black person to finally be able to be President. It is a black pride thing to a big extent and I don't fault black people for this.

What I would like for this country is to get beyond the color of a person's skin or their nationality or sexual orientation and vote for the best person.

And darn it all, when I get my Census Form in the mail I am NOT filling out the place where it says color or nationality. I am an American and that is all they need to know. The government does its' part to keep this race thing going too and it is wrong.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Well, what burns me up is that people can think that the US has gotten past the race issue. You still seem to think that I'm trying to say that disagreeing with our black president makes you a racist. That is nowhere near what I was saying. I'm sorry that your co workers were so ignorant as to say that you are racist for not supporting him...But I sure don't like that you are putting me in that same category as them.
I never said the US has gotten past the race issue. In fact, in every post I made here, I state there are stupid people that DO look at that. They always have and always will. Color, sex, religion, hair color, eye colour, whatever. Unfortunately, we can't legally get rid of them. And it isn't right. BUT...what I'm trying to point out is this nation isn't color blind, and if someone criticises Obama they are automatically racist because our pres just happens to be black. So, my question is the people that are calling other's racists because we disagree with Obama...are THEY color blind? It doesn't seem so.

I'm sorry if you feel like you're put in the same category with my co-workers but you seem to be of the same mind frame.
post #49 of 59
Reading this thread, I can't help but think about what goes on in the parliaments/diets in some other countries, up to and including fist fights.
Taiwanese Legislature Fight
Korean politicians fight in Nat'l Assembly
Fight in Russian Duma (Parliament)
Bolivia Parliament Fight
Parliament Fight in Ukraine
post #50 of 59
That used to be the case in our legislature, too, which is the reason behind the rules they have now!
post #51 of 59
Thread Starter 
Its gotten to the point that if you don't agree with the topic (policy, morals, etc.) then you are automatically labeled raciest, homophobic, etc.

Sorry but I'm sticking to MY values and morals and will not just say ok to things I feel are wrong. I don't care WHO you are or WHAT color your skin is!
post #52 of 59
Since I started paying attention to political discussions, it's become very, very obvious that anyone that disagrees with anyone on anything political is immediately given a label by their opposition. Racist is merely another label they can now use.

All part of the entertainment.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Reading this thread, I can't help but think about what goes on in the parliaments/diets in some other countries, up to and including fist fights.
Taiwanese Legislature Fight
Korean politicians fight in Nat'l Assembly
Fight in Russian Duma (Parliament)
Bolivia Parliament Fight
Parliament Fight in Ukraine
A little dated but there was Preston Brooks beating of Charles Sumner on the floor of the Senate in 1856.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I am not sure that Wilson is racist but I think there is definitely a possibility there that race had a factor in the way he treated Obama. No one can know for sure whether race played a factor, there is simply not enough evidence of that at this point.
Race definitely had a factor in the way Obama pre-judged Crowley after admitting that he didn't know all the facts, but that the PD acted "stupidly."

Racism cuts both ways. And I don't believe for a minute that race had anything to do with Wilson's outburst of a perceived erroneous comment by Obama.
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Since I started paying attention to political discussions, it's become very, very obvious that anyone that disagrees with anyone on anything political is immediately given a label by their opposition. Racist is merely another label they can now use.

All part of the entertainment.
Name-calling is the habit many people picked up in kindergarten, perfected by the seventh grade, and never learned to drop long enough to actually think about a problem after that. Personally, I find that the instant someone trots out a pejorative name, they have lost credibility with me, because it means that they are unable to articulate a real debate and have descended into the mindless, thoughtless, non-thinking responses learned by rote and put out as a knee-jerk response to some outside stimulus.
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I am not sure that Wilson is racist but I think there is definitely a possibility there that race had a factor in the way he treated Obama. No one can know for sure whether race played a factor, there is simply not enough evidence of that at this point.
Therefore, it didn't. What is this, guilty until proven innocent?? Since when??
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmycats View Post
Therefore, it didn't. What is this, guilty until proven innocent?? Since when??
Amen! I agree completely.
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmycats View Post
Therefore, it didn't. What is this, guilty until proven innocent?? Since when??


Why has racism even been brought up in this thread? I thought it was a debate about whether or not Joe Wilson should be reprimanded. Looks like we're doomed to hear the "R" word every time someone dares to express dissent to this administration's policies. It's going to be a long 4 years.

I believe Wilson's apology and Obama's acceptance of that apology should be the end of the matter. However, if there's a legal precedence for a formal reprimand, then obviously the Dems are within their rights to issue one.
And I'm sure we'll all sleep better at night once they do.
post #59 of 59
If I remember correctly Barack, himself, said it was not a "race" issue sooooo....... who is anyone else to say Barack is wrong.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Wilson - Reprimanded???