Whoooaaaa!!! Close call!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday night, leaving my condo late - around midnight - it is suburban, but wooded.. .driving down the winding road that leads to the main road when all of a sudden - a deer jumps out RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY CAR!!! Young female.

MAN!! I slam on the brakes... stuff on the back seat goes flying!!! I could feel the ABS grinding under the brake pedal... and I juuuuuusssst miiiiissssseeeed hitting the poor girl by a whisker! Whew... I don't know how hurt she would have been though it would have broken my heart to hurt a deer... but I have heard they do tremendous damage to vehicles. It would have been a terrrible thing!

I know my heart was pounding and I was quite rattled all the way back to Mom's house.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! Glad you and the deer are okay! I know.. it's the strangest thing.... we lived down in the city, but near the Great Lakes and we seen SOO MANY deer, raccoons, red tailed foxes, possums, and even ground hogs... many more than further out in the sticks... it was like wild kingdom!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are alright. That would have been scary. We have a lot of deer here also. We have had a few close call,s but thankfully have been able to miss them.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are okay.

I had a deer cross the southbound lanes on I-75 and enter into the northbound lanes below Bowling Green, Ohio about 10 years ago. I felt bad but there was nothing I could have done. It was night and by the time I saw the deer it was only a couple feet away from the front left side of the tractor (I was driving a tractor trailer).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Glad you are okay.

I had a deer cross the southbound lanes on I-75 and enter into the northbound lanes below Bowling Green, Ohio about 10 years ago. I felt bad but there was nothing I could have done. It was night and by the time I saw the deer it was only a couple feet away from the front left side of the tractor (I was driving a tractor trailer).
Yikes! I once clobbered a CAT on a freeway - in Charlotte, NC. Dark, early morning, on my way to work and it ran out RIGHT in front of me. I was crying when I got to work and called the police non-emergency number to tell them there was likely a dead cat and where on the expressway... and that Animal Control might want to go get it. I felt sick.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
how scarey, we dont get many deers wondering round the streets here hehe

glad you missed her though, for you and the deer

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A deer hit me (yes, she hit me....jumped right out the ditch into the side of my car) in Oct 2007. I drive a little Honda Civic, and it did $3000 damage to my car and killed the deer (I think immediately, but I didn't stop to check---wounded wild animals are scary). I kept driving until I came to a gas station and then called my dad to come get me. It's scary. People have been killed by deer or cattle in the roads.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BF almost hit a deer in the field where he was mowing grass with the tractor mower..The thing just jumped out of the cornfield at him..Im always driving about 10 under the speed limit down the road to our house because there have been MANY times where cars have been wrecked on the sides of the road because of deer. Its horrible....This past winter there was one who flipped onto its roof swerving to miss a deer!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, glad you're okay.

I actually had a deer jump my car. FH and I were coming home from his parents in Vermont. I was driving and we were talking and all of a sudden he said watch out. I caught a glimpse of a deer's face in my window, and all of a sudden I screamed, closed my eyes, and hit the brakes. Luckily there was no one behind me or oncoming. After I hit the brakes, I heard like a thump sound from my roof. I immediately pulled over and FH got out to check to see if it hit my car or something. Nope, nothing. After that he drove. We pulled into the next gas station just to check it under light since it was dark, and there wasn't a scratch on my car. It was the weirdest and one of the most scariest things I've been through. I was shaking after it happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

Wow, glad you're okay.

I actually had a deer jump my car. FH and I were coming home from his parents in Vermont. I was driving and we were talking and all of a sudden he said watch out. I caught a glimpse of a deer's face in my window, and all of a sudden I screamed, closed my eyes, and hit the brakes. Luckily there was no one behind me or oncoming. After I hit the brakes, I heard like a thump sound from my roof. I immediately pulled over and FH got out to check to see if it hit my car or something. Nope, nothing. After that he drove. We pulled into the next gas station just to check it under light since it was dark, and there wasn't a scratch on my car. It was the weirdest and one of the most scariest things I've been through. I was shaking after it happened.
Glad everyone was ok...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Glad everyone was ok...
Thanks
I'm glad everyone was too, including the deer. The thing was heading right for my driver's side window, so who knows what would have happened if it didn't jump. I still have the picture of it's face in my head, just coming out of nowhere heading for my car. Needless to say, I'm always on edge when we drive through that area when we're going to or from his parent's house.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG how scary! There are a ton of deer around here..I get alot of deer claims in early winter and early spring.

I am sooo afraid to hit one, they are so cute!