New kitten!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord help me, I'm such a sucker! I let the dogs out this morning and they always tear over to the other side of the yard. Well, today they stopped halfway and were more interested in something on the ground...then I heard this pathetic little cry.

After chasing the dogs off, here was this little kitten (wet from all the licks she got). She apparently crawled in through the fence shortly before I let them out. I picked her up, put the dogs back, and put her back on the other side of the fence....which she proceeded to crawl through again and follow me. I know she is one of the barn cats kittens, I just don't know which one (half of them live in the woods).

After trying to put her outside the yard 3 times (each time she came back in), I took her to the other side of the house where one of the barn cats has kittens about the same age. Mama cat came up, head butted the kitten and she ran off to play with the rest so I thought maybe she would have a new family. But, when I went out a few hours later, she was laying by herself right next to the woods, covered in flies and her eyes completely matted shut. I don't know how that happened so fast because they weren't matted earlier today.

Anyway, she is now inside and currently sitting on my lap. She seems to have no interest in cat food (dry, watered down, or wet) but did take some milk suppliment from a bottle so that's good. She seems like she's fairly healthy, aside from the eyes and we do have ointment to put in them. Vet visit will probably be next week and she will be kept away from the other cats until then. We have an extra dog crate in the basement that I'm going to fix up for her, and she's getting a bath here in a few minutes. She REALLY needs one.

Oh, she's a very light orange/white....but not tabby really...she looks more like a toasted marshmellow. With longer fur and I can already tell there are knots that need to be cut out. Fun, fun. I'll try to get pics when I can.

Anyone want a kitten??????

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww.......sounds like you have been Chosen!

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww! Its SO fortunate that your dog found her! And its SO sad about her little eyes being stuck shut and fur. Please try and keep her very close to you. I think she needs all the love she can get. It's great that she's found you! Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's laying on my lap right now wrapped up in an old t-shirt of mine. We're trying to get her warm. We're hoping once she warms up she will eat more. The thing is, she is SO attentive (if her eyes are open...we've cleaned them out with a wet, warm papertowel 3 times already) I really don't think she's feeling bad. She's probably just scared a bit and feeling lost. I just wish I knew which mom was her's but there are so many feral cats around here that I couldn't even begin to narrow it down. DH took her outside, fed our barn cats, and none of the females reacted to her.
Of course, around here, it could also just be a drop off.

Don't worry, we'll take care of her until we find a new home.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always say that...oh yeah,I'll take care of it till I find it a home,and by the time I get those words out of my mouth,I'm already attached and in love!I agree...sounds like you've been chosen!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lizzie

I always say that...oh yeah,I'll take care of it till I find it a home,and by the time I get those words out of my mouth,I'm already attached and in love!I agree...sounds like you've been chosen!
Shush!!!! Yeah, I know. As I said, I'm a sucker. I don't think she's going to go anywhere. You do realize, with the kittens we already have and trying to find homes for, that this makes 11?? Forget going to a rescue...I think I'm opening up my own rescue. So, how do I get funding? Anyone want to contribute?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ill gladly contribute once I get my bills paid!! LOL!! Do you accept checks or money orders!!!
I think its wonderful what you are doing for the kitties! Not everyone has the heart that you have. And if someone did drop the baby off they need to be locked on an island with no provisions with rabid canibals on the loose!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should NOT have said a word!Somebody was listening!Came home from work today and kept hearing this "noise"...I thought I was wheezing badly it was that high pitched.Went in the utilty room to check the wash and I just knew I heard a kitten screamng.Out the door I went,followed Otter to the sound and out from under a box comes this beautiful little face,just so upset!Of course I picked it up...a little boy around 3 weeks old...covered with fleas and trying to suck my shirt...verrry hungry!I have no clue where he came from....no others to be found....but in the house we came,got a bath and fleas picked off and a gruel made from canned beef and liver and baby oatmeal cereal and warm water.Boy does he chew and was he ever hungry!So he has a home,is warm and cozy in a box in my bathroom.He's a tabby with white,and some of his tabby marking are a gold color along with the brown.Name?Don't know yet,but will let you know.How many I have?Oh just one more.......

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Lord help me, I'm such a sucker! I let the dogs out this morning and they always tear over to the other side of the yard. Well, today they stopped halfway and were more interested in something on the ground...then I heard this pathetic little cry.

After chasing the dogs off, here was this little kitten (wet from all the licks she got). She apparently crawled in through the fence shortly before I let them out. I picked her up, put the dogs back, and put her back on the other side of the fence....which she proceeded to crawl through again and follow me. I know she is one of the barn cats kittens, I just don't know which one (half of them live in the woods).

After trying to put her outside the yard 3 times (each time she came back in), I took her to the other side of the house where one of the barn cats has kittens about the same age. Mama cat came up, head butted the kitten and she ran off to play with the rest so I thought maybe she would have a new family. But, when I went out a few hours later, she was laying by herself right next to the woods, covered in flies and her eyes completely matted shut. I don't know how that happened so fast because they weren't matted earlier today.

Anyway, she is now inside and currently sitting on my lap. She seems to have no interest in cat food (dry, watered down, or wet) but did take some milk suppliment from a bottle so that's good. She seems like she's fairly healthy, aside from the eyes and we do have ointment to put in them. Vet visit will probably be next week and she will be kept away from the other cats until then. We have an extra dog crate in the basement that I'm going to fix up for her, and she's getting a bath here in a few minutes. She REALLY needs one.

Oh, she's a very light orange/white....but not tabby really...she looks more like a toasted marshmellow. With longer fur and I can already tell there are knots that need to be cut out. Fun, fun. I'll try to get pics when I can.

Anyone want a kitten??????

I should NOT have said a word!Somebody was listening!Came home from work today and kept hearing this "noise"...I thought I was wheezing badly it was that high pitched.Went in the utilty room to check the wash and I just knew I heard a kitten screamng.Out the door I went,followed Otter to the sound and out from under a box comes this beautiful little face,just so upset!Of course I picked it up...a little boy around 3 weeks old...covered with fleas and trying to suck my shirt...verrry hungry!I have no clue where he came from....no others to be found....but in the house we came,got a bath and fleas picked off and a gruel made from canned beef and liver and baby oatmeal cereal and warm water.Boy does he chew and was he ever hungry!So he has a home,is warm and cozy in a box in my bathroom.He's a tabby with white,and some of his tabby marking are a gold color along with the brown.Name?Don't know yet,but will let you know.How many I have?Oh just one more.......
Looks like you both have been chosen!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly believe that being chosen is sometimes what happens.I don't ever really go out and look for "a cat" to bring home.Sometimes they just find me.I can't stand it when I see one sick or hurting or hungry!I had a semi-wild fella outside who would come and eat but never let me touch him.One day he was curled up in a ball with this nasty ooze dripping off his cheek.I picked him up and whisked him off to the vet,who neutered him,cleaned out his big abcess and put him on antibiotics.He spent a few days in my bathroom and when I took him back outside,he clung to me,cried,and it was like "how can you do this,mom?"He is now such a loving and snuggly boy...whose name is Boy...and part of my family.So this little guy....I think his name will be Bruiser because he's soooo strong and solidly built...spent the night in my bathroom.I fed him this morning and he pottied just fine.I have my only intact female who had a litter of 3 a few weeks ago and developed pyometra and had to be spayed...she nurses her babies still,even though they're eating solid food....and she has shown an interest in Bruiser.He's with her now on the couch,nursing,and she's been giving him baths,etc.So I think it's a sure bet he'll be taken care of by two mommies!Yay!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I truly believe that being chosen is sometimes what happens.I don't ever really go out and look for "a cat" to bring home.Sometimes they just find me.I can't stand it when I see one sick or hurting or hungry!I had a semi-wild fella outside who would come and eat but never let me touch him.One day he was curled up in a ball with this nasty ooze dripping off his cheek.I picked him up and whisked him off to the vet,who neutered him,cleaned out his big abcess and put him on antibiotics.He spent a few days in my bathroom and when I took him back outside,he clung to me,cried,and it was like "how can you do this,mom?"He is now such a loving and snuggly boy...whose name is Boy...and part of my family.So this little guy....I think his name will be Bruiser because he's soooo strong and solidly built...spent the night in my bathroom.I fed him this morning and he pottied just fine.I have my only intact female who had a litter of 3 a few weeks ago and developed pyometra and had to be spayed...she nurses her babies still,even though they're eating solid food....and she has shown an interest in Bruiser.He's with her now on the couch,nursing,and she's been giving him baths,etc.So I think it's a sure bet he'll be taken care of by two mommies!Yay!
That is too funny that one found you about the same time as mine! (I still think they have a secret list of our names that gets passed around the cat community
)

Sounds like Bruiser is doing great and it's wonderful that your mommie is taking him into her little family.

My little one has done a 180 turn and is now a REAL handful! She spent the first two days doing nothing but sleeping. We could get her to eat but she stopped taking from the bottle and we could only force feed her from a syringe. After a vet visit and antibiotics for her eyes and nose she is a completely different cat!! Just a little orange furball running around, getting into everything! She's drinking suppliment milk (from a bottle!!
) like crazy and today she licked some mashed potatoes off my finger (twice) and started howling for more. I wasn't sure about potatoes, although in themselves they probably wouldn't hurt her but I do use a lot of salt and pepper, butter, garlic, etc in them. At least she's showing interest in something besides just kitten milk.

Her favorite in my animal family is...believe it or not...our pug!
She follows Buttercup around like she's her mom and constantly wants to play. Buttercup gets so irritated, but I think she kind of likes it at the same time. The adult cats come over and sniff her and walk away, but the runt of the last litter (barn cat) is trying to make friends with her. He's the one we're keeping from that litter. Named Boogers (DH named him
because he had a REALLY snotty nose as a tiny kitten, and really took to DH, hence why we are keeping him...lord help me!). Anyway, Boogers is still trying to figure out what she is...and why there is something moving in the house that is actually smaller than he is. It's really cute! But, I think they will be good friends.

Still not sure about keeping her. I still have 2 other kittens plus all the other cats. It's getting to be too much. DH had to pick up meds for our other cat at the vets today, and told them how many kittens we are trying to find homes for. They may be willing to take some of the older ones (didn't realize he had a no kill rescue too) and find them homes. We have a lot of barn cat kittens that are ready to go. The problem around here is EVERYONE has barn cat kittens and doesn't want anymore. And, before anyone says I need to start TNR them, send me a check as a donation...we get them fixed when we have the extra money to do it. I went to the market tonight to pick up something for dinner and cat/dog food. The bill was over $90 and all I got was a chicken ($4.99) butter, a box of mashed potatoes, and cat and dog food. That is their food for the week, our meal for the night.

Sorry to have this turn into a rambling session. It's just been a hectic day and I just needed to ramble.

tyclipper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it really is nice knowing that there are people who are so good who are willing to take care and give love to these kittens. i admire people like you.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little Bruiser is doing great,too.His hangout place is with his new mommy on the couch.He met me at the door this morning when I walked out of my bedroom...must have fallen off the couch poor baby.He didn't seem any worse for wear though.I bought him a baby bottle and kmr today.I mix up this gruel out of baby oatmeal cereal and canned beef and liver and warm water.All the kittens I have raised over the years do very well on this,and I feed him with a baby spoon.I've also been giving him warm water with a syringe but I just thought maybe he needed a little something extra.I know he's nursing her but I don't know how much he's getting,so I let him take as much as he wants.He actually took most of a tablespoon,sucking on the bottle...it was so cute!....and I put him back on the couch with her.He doesn't cry at all,so I think he's pretty content,and I see her doing motherly things for him so I don't have to worry there.My other cats have accepted him and my 2 doxies as well...it was meant to be!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my lord, I actually named her. Her official name is Pixie because she just shows up everywhere, even when doors are closed! I'm going to have a nervous breakdown here.

Good news is she chowed down on a watered down kitten food mix I made (of course, being a baby she just had to crawl into the the bowl to eat it...spent 1/2 hr cleaning and drying her paws!). Put her in the litter box afterwards....nothing. But after using a warm rag on her I got something out, so that is good. Maybe she is younger than I thought.

We're still giving her kitten formula, and we had to switch back to the syringe because she has bitten through (and swallowed one of) the tops of the baby bottles. The first was only the tip, and DH said "is it bigger than her poop?" Um...no. It was very tiny, but she started choking. Buy the time I got her in the bedroom, she was looking for more food! Hence, going back to the syringe

I got another bottle, and she started to chew the tip off that tonight! I'm guessing it's the teething thing, and I was able to get it out of her mouth before she actually ingested it. Which is good....but back to the syringe.

Good lord, so much work, but so worth it!!
All my grey hairs are due to my animals!!

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless you calico2222

Maybe you should look into having a rescue at your home if you can and want to. I've always wanted to do this but lack of time, space, and finances stopped me. The woman I bought Almond and Joy from did charge me for them to help pay for the rescues she funded. It felt good to take in abandoned pets. I was glad to pay for them and thankful for people like her. Now a days it's pretty easy to advertise for free online. Also, some vets offer discounts to rescue groups.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tyclipper

it really is nice knowing that there are people who are so good who are willing to take care and give love to these kittens. i admire people like you.
Ditto. Pixie was lucky to find you! Do you have any pictures?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Ditto. Pixie was lucky to find you! Do you have any pictures?
I'll try! Here is Pixie:

After a bath she isn't a toasted marshmellow....she may be a light tabby but I can't really tell at this point.

EDIT: sorry for the blurry pic, and now I have a VERY hungry kitten that I have to feed!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor little dear. She's a cutie.

Thanks for taking time away from your fostering duties to share the photo!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Pixie: I think I should have named her Houdini instead! DH fed her when he got up this morning and let her run around for excercise, then I fed her again before I left for work and put her back in her "home". Right now, we're keeping her in a soft sided carrier with watered down wet food when we aren't home. First to protect her from getting into things, and to keep her from Brooke who doesn't get crated when we're gone. She thinks Pixie is a new chew toy. I'm going to set up a box probably in the basement (with the other kittens) where Brooke can't get to her. She's not trying to hurt her, she's just trying to play but I want to stop that NOW.

Anyway, I came home tonight, and apparently she figured out how to push the zippers of the carrier (kind of like a duffle bag...double zippers) and squeezed out. My bad for not doing the latch too. She was wandering all over the house, fine as could be. Apparently, if she and Brooke had a scuffle it was all forgotten.

And, she's eating solid food!!!! Woohoo!! She was climbing all over me when I first got home, so I knew she was hungry. I went to warm up some KRM and turned around to see her eating out of the cat dish (dry food!). She still got her milk, but I feel so much better with her eating on her own. She even drank from the water bowl. Now....to get her to use the litter box....