New Trends always start on the west coast.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the US will ban it across the country, it's illegal here and we live just fine with our cats and their claws.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Seems to be illegal in most countries outside North America.
It is....and I don't know why Americans are such sissies about their furniture
. Whenever a de-clawing ban is suggested, you'd think the world was coming to an end----"oh, but fewer cats will be adopted!" "cats will end up being surrendered to shelters if their owners can't de-claw them!", all kinds of doomsday predictions. But of course, Australians and people in the UK have never been able to de-claw their cats, and somehow they manage to get them adopted and not surrendered to shelters.

I hate for it to come to a ban----it seems like an assault on personal freedoms. But if vets continue to push de-claws for personal enrichment and refuse to properly educate people on the procedure, and if cat owners keep the demand up for an elective crippling procedure, I guess a ban is necessary. Too bad people can't choose to do the right thing on their own, without governmental interference.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In many instances I think people use declawing as an alternative to spending the time to properly train their cats. My older cat, who adopted me, was declawed when she moved in on my back porch as a stray. I was so mad at whoever did that to her! She's such a sweetie and has never scratched inappropriately. Our second cat has claws, but she's never used them against us and knows how to use a scratching post.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is ONE ban I will support - there really is no reason so do it. As far as the pot thing - I'm against that one

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Declawing is ONE ban I will support - there really is no reason so do it. As far as the pot thing - I'm against that one

YIPPEE!!
It's about time!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up we had a 4 paw declawed cat. I was a kid & it was just what my parents did. Now I have 4 cats none of them are declawed. I just can't imagine having a cat without claws. It's just such a natural part of who they are & because they have always had lots of scratching posts & boxes they don't bother the furniture. There are surface scratches on the couch from them running & jumping, but I don't really care. I'd rather they keep their claws than I have a perfect couch.