Adult Cat
Purraise
Bad breath, your thoughts and opinions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say it was? Gingivitis? My cats back teeth look sore! I gave some anti's and they look good but then it comes back automatically after the treatment.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bad teeth and gums can cause many diseases in cats, including and especially kidney failure. Your kitty needs to see the vet, and get a dental cleaning. Some extractions may need to be done too.

after the dental work from your vet, a home care program can be started.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Red gums and bad breath meant gingivitis and peridontal disease for my Cotton. I'd book him in at the vets for a dental check-up and probably a cleaning.

Like Otto says, dental disease can cause many worse issues for cats - it's much better to see a vet and get this dealt with as soon as possible. the earlier you can get a good home-care routine going, the better your chances of gettign gingivitis under control.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MTBee

What did the vet say it was? Gingivitis? My cats back teeth look sore! I gave some anti's and they look good but then it comes back automatically after the treatment.
Moose is prone to gingivitis; he's had two teeth pulled already and I use a pet oral care gel every day, with my vet's okay. Definitely see your vet first for a professional opinion and home care plan.