Furminator

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally broke down last night & bought a furminator. Well Isaac doesn't like it better than any other comb, but Levi was in heaven. I can't believe how much hair this thing got out. I comb/brush Levi at least once a week & I still pulled out a ton of hair. I get it a thumbs up .

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know! We never even looked into one, because the name made me think it had some kind of motor or something (why, I don't know!) and our cats have never tolerated anything like that (like the Pedipaw stuff). But they were selling them at the vet. Found it online MUCH cheaper.

Our kitties - even Flowerbelle - LOVE being brushed. We have a little bit of a hard time with the Furminator on Flowerbelle because she's little and bony - but they all purr when we use it just like they're being brushed. I keep a brush handy to use on their cheeks (because if you brush/comb only their bodies they get antsy). But the amount of fur that thing takes out is truly amazing. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If Jamie had his way, he'd be brushed with it every day. I keep telling him that would turn him bald.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

If Jamie had his way, he'd be brushed with it every day. I keep telling him that would turn him bald.
I have to be careful not to overdo Miss Patchwillow. She's another one who would lay there purring until she was completely bald. I get a handfull off her with every swipe. The others don't seem to have nearly as heavy undercoats. I haven't tried it on Merlin yet. I don't think he has enough hair to spare.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hubby's parents have one & since we're baby-sitting their dog for 6 weeks I stole it!
I love the stupid thing & brush our pups with it EVERY time we go for a visit!

I hadn't thought of using it on the cats, I've heard from dog-people you shouldn't use it on long-coated dogs because it can damage their fur. What about long-haired cats?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

Hubby's parents have one & since we're baby-sitting their dog for 6 weeks I stole it!
I love the stupid thing & brush our pups with it EVERY time we go for a visit!

I hadn't thought of using it on the cats, I've heard from dog-people you shouldn't use it on long-coated dogs because it can damage their fur. What about long-haired cats?
Hmm. I'd heard exactly the opposite, that it takes out the undercoat without damaging the long hair.
However, since my cats range from short hair to ultra short hair, I don't have any experience with it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've used the Furminator on long-haired dogs (but not silky ones like Irish setters), and can't see that it damaged their coats. I doubt it would be a problem unless you were showing the cat or dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady at the pet store said that there is a differnce between the dog Furminator & the cat Furminator. She said that the cat one has teeth closer together, but that it could be used on dogs too. I told her I was specifically looking for a brush that a long hair cat would like. (she claims her mom's long hair cat loves it). Isaac wasn't convince, but with 3 other cat that enjoy it it works for me.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they were talking about dogs like setters & goldens. I've never tried it on either breed.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake became a lot less furry after using the ferminator on him once a week. I used it for a very long time though and just didn't know when to stop. Now he is becoming his usual furry self after I stopped using it, but he isn't shedding- it must be because winter is coming.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one to use on Sho - he's a DSH with a lot of undercoat, who also replaces his undercoat quickly. It works great on him, but I can't use it too often and can't brush straight down his back because it will remove too much fur there. It obviously doesn't help with the guard hairs he sheds.

Sort of works on Tomas but he's sleek and Siri has very short fur so it doesn't do anything more than petting would.

Completely useless for Sherman. Maybe he's just the type of DLH that it won't work on.

I've used it on other DSHs that have thicker undercoats and by far that seems to be what it's best for. I've also brushed my neighbors DMHs (they don't brush their kitties) and it works on one but not the other.