Very long labor...any advice?

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took in a pregnant stray last month. She went into labor last night and had 1 kitten. That was 3 and a half hours ago and she still hasen't had any more. I'm sure there are more in there because her belly is huge! Anyway, it's the middle of the night and no vets offices open, no 24hr emergency clinics. (I live in a very rural area.) My vets office doesn't open for another 4 hours and I am freaking out. Anyone have some advice for me?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she in labor during these 31/2 hours?

Or does she has a pause and is resting? If she has a pause, there is no big need to worry.

IF she is in labor, you can perhaps buy some time by driving her to the vet so you are there when they open... In this case, you will have say 3 hours more to decide if she is delivering or you really must drive to the vet.

I wish you both good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the good wishes.
I feel really stupid saying this but I don't know if she's in labor. This is my first cat pregnancy. She has been laying in her box purring and cleaning her kitten. She got out about an hour ago and had a bite to eat and drank a little then went back to her kitten. About 2 hrs ago I noticed a little blood in vaginal area but she cleaned herself up and no more since then. She doesn't seem to be in any kind of distress. Here's hoping everything is OK.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, in such case I think you can relax as for now.

Be watchful of course and observe carefully. But as she is resting and seems OK, there is no hurry and no need to stress. You can "await" as they say.

Cats can deliver many hours inbetween. The babies are in different sacks, that is why it is possible and quite common.

Ps. Welcome to the Forums!

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you SOO much. I was really worried for a while. I'm still going to be waiting in the vets parking lot when she opens this morning but you have given me some piece of mind until then. Thanks again!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by dandi

I'm still going to be waiting in the vets parking lot when she opens this morning but you have given me some piece of mind until then.
No, dont think it is not necessary any longer. Letting the mom and the kitten be unstressed home is also good.
I was talking about the case she was in continous fruitless labor...

But do phone the vet as soon they opens, and hear about advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Vets are wonderful to have if there IS a real medical / kirurgical emergency.

IF it is a completely normal delivery it will be only awkward to come rushing to them. I´m not even mentioning it will cost you almost as much as for a real emergency. Although I do mention it will stress the mom and her kitten.

There ARE vets who accept to take in a cat, especielly if it is a rescued stray, do all the necessary work and let it live there in a cage a couple of days, and return when everything is done and ready, withhout charging much extra. There ARE some such vets!

But most vets dont do it. They can do the emergency, but all everything else they expect the owner or rescuer does herself. They give some advice, perhaps sell some kitten milk or drop bottle etc.
Thus it may be embarrassing to come rushing to most vets with what probably is a normal delivery, and be sent back home after paying the usual charge.
In these cases it is better to phone first, if they give advices by phone. Most do, especielly if they are your usual vet.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stef had all the right ideas for you!

How is she doing this morning?

She may have gone into labour and then stoped in which case she should be going back in. Or maybe she's only going to have one kitten.

Feel her tummy, can you feel moving? If so definitely call your vet & see what they say!

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was thinking about Stef's post in the premi thread. I wonder if you're experiencing a similar phenomenon where the queen mates with two separate toms & it results in two separate pregnancies?

Your vet would be able to tell you what is going on.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm just now seeing this. How is she doing this morning? Any more kittens?

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phebe's last litter she went into labor about 10 pm had her first kitten at about 10:30 pm and then everything stopped. She ofcourse was cool as a cucumber while I stayed awake watching her sleep all night. She did not start her labor back up until about 6 am the next morning and four more babies were born all healthy as can be. Hopefully, everything went well for your babies too. Keep us informed.

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to update this...been a busy few days. I took Jasmine in to vet who said kittens were probably dead and Jasmine needed a c-section. Two hours and $500 later I got a wonderful surprise - two more healthy kittens! It was hard on Jasmine the first day trying to nurse the kittens wth stitches halfway up her belly, but she is being a FABULOUS mother. I had to help with supplementing her milk with kitten formula just the first day and then she took over 100%. The kittens all seem to be doing well. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dandi

Sorry it took so long to update this...been a busy few days. I took Jasmine in to vet who said kittens were probably dead and Jasmine needed a c-section. Two hours and $500 later I got a wonderful surprise - two more healthy kittens! It was hard on Jasmine the first day trying to nurse the kittens wth stitches halfway up her belly, but she is being a FABULOUS mother. I had to help with supplementing her milk with kitten formula just the first day and then she took over 100%. The kittens all seem to be doing well. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.
Poor Jasmine . that was quite an ordeal for her. I am happy it turned out all right, and she has three healthy babies.