Question of the Day: Tues. Sept. 15

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird time to post the QOTD but since I'm up this late, who knows what time I'll get up..... so here is the daily question:

Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?
Do you have a particular day that you go?

Walmart? Grocery Store? Market? Costco? etc.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just getting ready for work myself!

I alternate between Meijer's, Walmart and Kroger. Each place has specific items that I prefer over the other, so I usually go to each place. I usually go shopping when my list has enough items on it to make it worthwhile. Never on weekends...too many rude, crude and socially unacceptable people out on the weekend!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supermarket is the only place to get all the groceries, no Costco here and our version of Walmart doesn't carry many food items apart from nibbles and soft drinks.

I usually shop Wednesday early afternoon, or early Saturday morning.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to use Asda which i do believe walmart took over, and tesco's then a few little shops for fresh meat and veg tends to be a sunday we go shopping

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to WalMart because it's nearby and they have several electric scooters available. (The big groceries near here only seem to have one or two and they never worked. ) I prefer shopping Sunday mornings.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I basically do one huge shopping trip once a month,but if I need anything in between these times,I will go and pick up what I need.

I usually go to Sobeys,but also Dominion and/or Colemans...but Sobeys is my first choice.It depends on what deals/sales they got on too though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

I usually go to Sobeys,but also Dominion and/or Colemans...but Sobeys is my first choice.It depends on what deals/sales they got on too though.
I always found Sobeys to be one of the most expensive grocery stores around when I lived in the city.

We get groceries once a week, and usually from "Food Basics" but it depends on flyers. If the Superstore has enough good sales, I'll do it there....but only when they have good sales since it is further away for me.

We'll use Walmart or Giant Tiger if we need only a few items and no or little produce.

I forgot to say that we do our shopping on the weekend when DH is home so he can help me. We usually go on Sat. afternoon.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Mostly Walmart for us, since they have the best prices on dry goods and canned stuff. We go to Sobeys for our produce, since they have really nice produce and it's not really overpriced (thier dry goods on the other hand...), unless it's summer, then we get our produce from the farmer's market and we get our meat from a local butcher. It's much cheaper and much better quality. Wow...that sounds confusing when I write it all down.

Usuall we go Thursday nights. No weekend people yet, but nt so early in the week that you run into everyone who forgot something and is dashing out madly.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I always found Sobeys to be one of the most expensive grocery stores around when I lived in the city.
Dominion seems more expensive these days,since they all made bigger "super" stores.Out of the three I mentioned,Colemans is the most expensive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Dominion seems more expensive these days,since they all made bigger "super" stores.Out of the three I mentioned,Colemans is the most expensive!
never seen a Colemans.....

I found Sobeys and A&P to be very expensive compared to say Price Choppers or Food Basics.... But too, it depends on what you have available to you too.

We only have a RCSS, Food Basics, Walmart (not a super Walmart...so no produce) and Giant Tiger (some produce) for grocery needs here.

RCSS used to be quite expensive, so I'd never go there, but during the last yr or 2, they've dropped their prices so its fairly reasonable. Me thinks their customer base dropped when the Walmart opened a couple yrs ago, hence the price drops.

The one good thing bout RCSS, if they have something on sale...they usually have a good stockpile of it.... Say cheese for example... they will have tons.. but Food Basics will have a limited amount available

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I am a sales shopper so there are several places that I shop. I keep and eye on the flyer's for bargains and have been know to go to 3-4 different places on the same day. Mostly however I would say No Frills, and Walmart are the two I shop at most.
In the summer however we have a farmer's market that is open from May24th to Oct 1st. I get most of my vegetables there but I also buy bulk items when on sale for preserving.
There is also a small butcher shop just down the street from me that I stop in at about once a week to see if they have specials as well.
I don't have a particular day of the week when I shop, but I do notice that I tend to go more towards the end of the week.
My best bargin this week was Mr Noodles, a six pack for a dollar. I like them for a quick lunch and have even been known to use them as spaghetti in a pinch.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop at HyVee very early on Thursday mornings.

I hit Wal Mart early on Sunday mornings for things like chips, soda, cat supplies, detergents, cheap cookies for the raccoons.

Since DH works at Aldi's, I don't shop there---he does. It's very handy to say "Honey, bring home......." I always get my coffee, buns, sugar, flour, vanilla extract-- the basics-- there.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great Canadian Super Store for some, local Co-op for some, odd thing at Wally World. If I go the other way, Sobey's or Safeway. I don't find Sobey's a lot more, or any more expensive than Super STore, but Safeway is very expensive. Haven't seen a Dominion store for years, last one closed eons ago.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally shop at Martin's once a week. Unfortunately, I seem to only make it on the weekends, which is real fun.
I have a bonus card for specials and that helps a lot. Although, I do also get canned goods at Save-A-Lot. Prices are much better and canned goods are canned goods, right?

For GOOD meat though, I prefer to buy from a local market that has meat from local farmers. Not only is it helping the community, the meat is delicious!!! DEFINITELY better than you would get from a chain store. Problem is that store is 10 miles the other way. As opposed to Martin's that is 10 miles this way (did you understand that?
). So for hamburger that is going into chili, spaghetti sauce, etc, it's Martin's. For hamburger that will actually be made into patties, local store.

I could probably do a lot of savings by going to 5 different places, but when you figure in the gas involved it makes no sense to me. What I would save in actual prices I would be burning in gas to get to the places to save.

Good thing is we do have a local grocery store (little mom and pop store) at the end of our road so if I forget something, I can always run down and pick it up. Yes, they charge more for it but it's easier and quicker than driving 10 miles to the market to get it at a cheaper price.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Independent.

I'd love to go to walmart but it's too far away (although they are building one down the road now). We also have a food basics but the food quality is so low I've found it's not worth shoping there
. Plus they are owned by independent (loblaws) so you're not saving as much as you think you are!!

We go on big family expeditions one day of the week. I'm the chef so if I send hubby alone, he does try hard!, but he never gets the right things
. The little man is too much to handle if just one of us go to the store with him. Although hubby did do it last weekend, but he cheated & just handed JR. a bag of grapes to eat all through the store!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do almost all of my shopping at Save-On-Foods, because it is less than 2 blocks away and I gave up my car a few years ago for $ and environmental reasons, so cant get significant groceries elsewhere. I tend to shop a few times a week to keep things "fresh". I pick up produce at the farmers market most weeks, and occasionally grab things from Safeway/Sobeys depending on wants/sales
No cheap grocers here like there was in Ontario (food basics, no frills etc.)

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends what We need...

Sam´s, Cotsco, walmart
and of course some local supermarkets
MEga Comercial, Chedraui & Soriana....

the Cat Food just only with a Vet...

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sam's Club (eggs, bananas, sometimes chicken, string cheese, cat litter, coffee)
Safeway (right down the street from my place but I dread going there)
Trader Joe's - usually twice a month since I moved further away from it. But they are down the street from Sam's club.
Orowheat bread outlet - usually walk out of there with 4-5 loaves of bread for under $10

Lucky's or Nob Hill Prefer Lucky's and Trader Joe's over Safeway and NH as they tend to be less expensive.

Wow - guess I go to quite a few places. This is a good reminder for me to make my shopping list as payday is tomorrow and I need to start menu planning so I don't go overboard at the store.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Just getting ready for work myself!

I alternate between Meijer's, Walmart and Kroger. Each place has specific items that I prefer over the other, so I usually go to each place. I usually go shopping when my list has enough items on it to make it worthwhile. Never on weekends...too many rude, crude and socially unacceptable people out on the weekend!
Well, the names are different -- Save-On, Safeway, Stongs, Costco, IGA, Capers, Choices -- but the concept is the same. Also, it depends what else I'm doing on the same trip, and therefore what route I want to take.

Costco is every few months for a big stock up of non-perishables. Stongs, Choices and Capers are locals that have some things I can't get elsewhere, and do at least OK on the whole. Safeway and IGA have probably just taken a significant hit, because there is a nice new Save-On that I can easily go by on the way home, so I no longer have to plan for it.

I've always liked Save-On, but until they started moving in from the suburbs, it was awkward getting to it. I prefer to keep my errands to the homeward drive on weekdays and leave my weekends free of such things. When Dad was still at home, I used to save my shopping for the weekend, because it made an outing for him that he enjoyed, so it was OK then.