New snakies coming this weekend: Name Suggestions?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tis bittersweet for me this yr. Canada is holding its first 2 day show. The Americans have the Daytona show, we have the Toronto show.

I was supposed to be vending at this show, it is the beginning of a new era for us...but unfortunately due to my health issues, I could not care for 3-500 baby snakes, so I had to do the responsible thing and not breed them this season.

I've limited myself to what I am purchasing this yr, to a total of 5 new guys from a great friend and superb breeder.

Here's a peek at what I'll be picking up this weekend. If you have any inklings of names, let me know

Bloodred stripe het anery male:

Bloodred het anery poss het stripe female:

Caramel blood het hypo male (pride and joy)

Bloodred het caramel female:

Bloodred with unknown hets adult female: (already named Flame )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caitsith

OMG !! Wow wow and wow !!
They are beautiful ! I had a white pet mouse pet once, and called it Riff Raff !
I did at one point have a couple pet rats
I did breed meeses for a bit, but I found they stunk too much for DH's liking no matter how much I cleaned their cages. It's the only thing he ever put his foot down on, breeding rodents... so I had to oblige considering he is not a pet person.

Thanks for the comments you 2

I'm quite happy with these guys, and looking forward to watching the caramel bloodred mature.... He's already showing some nice diffusion on his sides and I think the striped male, within a yr, you won't be seeing any stripe (that's good).

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll take the fourth one! Beautiful!

My hubby had the same problem with my rabbits, then my guinea pigs. I never understood, I didn't think they smelled bad at all.

Do you just buy fresh/frozen all the time SL? That must get expensive.

kwren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they are gorgeous! i especially love the 2ond one, she is so pretty! what kind of snakes are they? (they look like corn snakes to me, but i am most familiar with large constrictors!)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

I'll take the fourth one! Beautiful!

My hubby had the same problem with my rabbits, then my guinea pigs. I never understood, I didn't think they smelled bad at all.

Do you just buy fresh/frozen all the time SL? That must get expensive.
I buy bulk frozen.... Tis actually cheaper that way. It's pricier if you're buying quanties under 50...(which I don't, aside from the food for the larger guys... those I buy in quantity of 12 or so)

Originally Posted by kwren

they are gorgeous! i especially love the 2ond one, she is so pretty! what kind of snakes are they? (they look like corn snakes to me, but i am most familiar with large constrictors!)
Thank you, and yes, they are cornsnakes

I'm at my limit for larger snakes with the ones I do have. Corns are the only ones I can add both due to size issues as well as our bylaws have changed and now we are not supposed to own constrictors (as in anything with the name constrictor in its name) or pythons. I have both but thankfully I was grandfathered in as I've had them prior to the new bylaws coming into effect.

Thank goodness, I wouldn't want to have to part with my big guys.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't hear anything about new bi-laws. Is that a strictly local thing? How long ago?

That's silly! I mean I can understand controlling REALLY large constrictors or poisonous snakes, but all the hobbyists I've ever met are very responsible

My brother used to have a bearded dragon, we found he had to buy in bulk or crickets were just ridiculous! Breeding them also wasn't an option for him as they were already all over the house!
At least the cats thought the escapees were fun!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

I didn't hear anything about new bi-laws. Is that a strictly local thing? How long ago?
Bylaws are generally established by the city/township..... it's not provincial legislation.

Our new bylaws came into effect ummm, 2006 I believe. I checked em out in 2002 when I first started keeping snakes and at that time there were no bylaws concerning reptiles aside from no venomous.

I've had the bylaw enforcement agent here this summer, along with some other authority figures
and he cleared me
He actually knew very little about them and was a nice man. I was scared that I may lose my snakes at the time because if the officer wanted to he could have asked for proof that I had them prior to the new bylaws, which I would have been stuck.... One does not usually get reciepts or any paper trail when owning non-cities snakes.

Our bylaws aren't too bad compared to say London..... theirs are only 2 reptiles, snakes can't exceed 2ft. Which is ridiculous..... Cornsnakes are one of the most docile snake there is, but they exceed 4ft.

The above would be bout 2.5ft..... so dangerous

But unfortunately their are idiots out there who think its "cool" to walk down a crowded street with a snake around their neck.... or worst yet, I saw some guy bike riding with a ball python around his neck. It's people like these that cause people like me, a whole lot of grief.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those are really interesting colors, I did not know snakes can be red.

What about Rojo for one of them?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you like "K" names....

Kali, Kalika, Kalcya (all variants of "Rosebud" in Greek)

Kamala ("the garden" in Hawaiian)
Kapua ("the flower blossom" in Hawaiian)
Kapua'ula ("the red flower" in Hawaiian)

Japanese...

Keiko - September flower (you're getting them in Sep)
Kiku - Crysanthemum branch
Kimie - tree branch without equal
Kohana - little flower

Native American...

Kai (Willow Tree)
Kineks (Rosebud)

Norse....
Kusymre (koo-sihm-rah) - Primrose flower

...although I like the name Firenze for one of the males.

And names that mean "fire" in some way or another:

Celtic:

Keegan (small, fiery, bright flame)
Kegan (bright shining flame)

English:

Kenna (born of fire)

Hawaiian...
Kalama (flaming torch)
Keahi (flames, fire)

...and they are beautiful.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhhhhh, names.

Good job Laurie.

Kenna will be one of my female fires (fire is amel + bloodred)
Kegan for my male fire

It's bad when only half my snakies have names LOL.... I just go by morph (type/breed)....

One day, they will ALL have names.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They are here, they are gorgeous, and pics will come tomorrow.
Flame is deep in shed, but the babies are
just gorgeous.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just have to ask, do the cats leave the snakes alone? I don't think I could trust my trouble maker Jordan around anything that moved & was smaller than he was.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

So I just have to ask, do the cats leave the snakes alone? I don't think I could trust my trouble maker Jordan around anything that moved & was smaller than he was.
The cats do NOT interact with the snakes at all

The closest the cats have come to them, is when I've been unpacking snakes... the kitties will come and be nosey... Like this:

after that, the snakes are in their room which has a door on it, and kitties are NOT allowed in there. (too many wires, tight spots that would attract kitties)

When I have a snake out, the kitties are curious...but I will not let them come in contact with each other because the kitties of course want to play with this moving "toy"...play involves claws....a snake getting poked by a claw could result in me being bit...and I prefer no bites if I can help it

The kitties will never be in the same room as one of the bigger snakes
if they are uncaged (too risky IMO, to have a fullgrown boa and a cat in the same room, with the snake uncaged)