Very random question: for "snakeaphobics"

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that some people have extreme fears of snakes. I had a friend in one of my college courses who could not be in the room when I did my powerpoint presentation on reptiles due to the snake pics.

I got thinking..... and was wondering for the people on here that may be afraid of snakes:

Does my avatar bother you???

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your avatar does not bother me, but I do know that if my Aunt were a memeber of the site, your avatar would make her not read any thread she thought you might have replied on.... she is DEATHLY afraid of snakes, we can't even say the word around her!
So if there are any people on this thread who are seriously afraid of snakes, it does probally bother them.... IMO at least

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Your avatar does not bother me, but I do know that if my Aunt were a memeber of the site, your avatar would make her not read any thread she thought you might have replied on.... she is DEATHLY afraid of snakes, we can't even say the word around her!
So if there are any people on this thread who are seriously afraid of snakes, it does probally bother them.... IMO at least
That would be precisely why I'm asking
Especially since I'm a blabberpuss and post on alot of varied topics......

I know I can't make everyone happy, but if the majority says it bothers them, then I'll change it....

Thanks for the response.... appreciate it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a problem with it. That is YOU and what you love. I really don't have a problem with snakes as long as they aren't in my house, or outside they aren't poisonous. I will admit, DH killed a copperhead last week because it was coming towards the house and our 2 year old nephew was on the porch. My MIL's dog got bit by a copperhead and almost lost her foot a few years ago because she was protecting the kids.

I actually love seeing snakes in the wild...as long as they are safe snakes. Anything poisonous is free game.

If I found one in my home, and it wasn't poisonous, I would try to get it out. It it was poisonous...it's dead.

No, I don't have a problem with your avatar at all....I think your snakes are fascinating!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, but if they knew this was a thread you started, and if they were anticipating the avatar, they probably wouldn't open it up anyway...would they?

BTW, doesn't bother me at all...then again, I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, so

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Ah, but if they knew this was a thread you started, and if they were anticipating the avatar, they probably wouldn't open it up anyway...would they?

BTW, doesn't bother me at all...then again, I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, so
hmmmmm....Indeed, good point...... Unless they have avatars not showing... or get someone to read it for them....

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

hmmmmm....Indeed, good point...... Unless they have avatars not showing... or get someone to read it for them....
Maybe the solution is for someone else to start a thread about your avatar!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Umm...hon...if the avatars aren't showing they won't get freaked out. And If someone is reading it to them, they can't see it anyway. Besides, your name kind of gives it away.

I think you're worrying too much about nothing.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Maybe the solution is for someone else to start a thread about your avatar!
Originally Posted by calico2222

Umm...hon...if the avatars aren't showing they won't get freaked out. And If someone is reading it to them, they can't see it anyway. Besides, your name kind of gives it away.

I think you're worrying too much about nothing.

I think ya might be right.... I worry too much LOL.

it just popped across my mind..... weird things do that when I'm still wide awake at 2am LOL.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Does my avatar bother you???
My grandma is very afraid of snakes, I know she would scream if she saw your avatar. Even if I say the word "snake" she jumps.

I never understood why people fear snakes...they have no arms, they are just squiggly XD

I'd only fear one if it was right next to me and poisonous. Or if it was insanely huge and could coil me up somehow.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My gramma is terrified of snakes too.
She's okay with pictures and videos, but even a fake rubber snake is enough to probably give her a heart attack.

Anyways...Your avatar doesn't bother me Snake_Lady.
Sometimes pictures of snakes with their mouthes open or eating something startle me a bit.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know some people who are so anti-snake that the avatar might upset them. But I think it goes fine with your user name.

Hey, some of us know people who are like that about cats. I saw a woman come into the shelter, take one look at the cat cages, and run into the dog area squealing and crying!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Yeah it doesn't bother me either, but my mom is also deathly afraid of them.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually kind of like your avatar but then again I don't mind snakes.
However my sister would most likely get the shivers looking at it, she can't even look at a snake on tv without getting that heart in your throat feeling.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid of small & medium sized snakes but the big ones look fascinating to me. Your avatar doesn't bother me one bit.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind snakes in a general sense and even dated a guy for a while who had snakes. Any snake that comes where it doesn't belong (in the house) gets the shovel treatment though.

Your avatar doesn't bother me a bit. However, if someone were to have a certain bug who will remain nameless as their avatar then I would have to quit the site

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely leave it. It goes with your user name. But then again, I'm not really afraid of snakes. If I was I wouldn't be here
. But if you had a black mamba as your avatar I might be a little careful

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread Chris. I think your avatar now is beautiful, but did have trouble with the closeup that was your avatar before (the one before Kitchi's vampire picture). In my case, the fear comes from having been bitten by a snake as a kid -- the funny thing is I don't remember much from that day (I was 5) except the hysteria of the people around me. We were swimming and hanging out by a lake in AL, and I must have stepped on it. i don't remember anything but my uncle saying don't move and my mom screaming while my dad hauled me to the ER. my family doesn't know what kind is was, just "big and black" -- I just remember getting shots and them keeping me a day or two. i guess i'd have to call the hospital if i ever want details b/c my parents were too freaked and won't talk about it.... So that's my thing...

Like one poster said, really big snakes don't bother me as much. I even "petted" a boa they brought to my school once without trouble. I wonder why the snakes that take two people to hold don't seem as threatening. Maybe on some level being bitten is less scary to some than being squeeeezed. Of course, I know they won't hurt me if I don't go stepping on either kind. LOL

I'm sure you get asked all the time-- have you been bitten?