Anything similar to Iams Low-Residue Dry?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've changed Stumpy over to Iams Veterinary Formula Intestinal Low-Residue Dry Cat Food, due to suspected inflammatory bowel disease, and ever since being on it she hasn't barfed. We tried Royal Canin hairball formula in the hope that chewing on her food would slow down her eating and help, but she threw up every couple of days on that food, sometimes multiple times a day. So this new food is definitely working. A 5.5lb bag is $20. A 14lb bag is $53!!!! With 3 cats who have shared food, that's REALLY expensive! We can't really separate them because Lily is shy so eats when it's quiet, Stumpy likes to munch through the day, and Smudge likes to munch at night.

Anyone know of a cheaper product that might work just as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here: http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/I...L&productID=52

I don't like the ingredient list at all, so I want to find something that Stumpy tolerates as well, and is cheaper. I think she's actually been less hyperactive and annoying since on this food. Maybe she was acting out because her tummy felt icky?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Based on the above link I pulled the ingrediants ... THIS is NOT a TYPICAL analysis
Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits hard to digest but easier on a non allergic tummy , Chicken, Dried Beet Pulp prebiotic aids in digestion, Dried Egg Productawesome protein as it is easy to digest and is 100% digestable , Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Chicken Flavor, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Fructooligosaccharidesa sugar based prebiotic
, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Mannanoligosaccharides, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract

It is HIGH is prebiotics and is one meat one starch ... you may want to look at something like avoderm or halo

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutrient\t(percent)
Crude Protein, minimum\t32.0
Crude Fat, minimum\t12.0very low fat ( solid gold )
Crude Fiber, maximum\t4.0middle of the road fiber
Moisture, maximum\t10.0
Ash, maximum\t7.0
Magnesium, maximum\t0.1
Taurine, minimum\t0.13
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum\t1.1*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum\t0.22*
very low fatty acids

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is HIGH is prebiotics and is one meat one starch ... you may want to look at something like avoderm or halo
You're a legend

Are they good foods for sensitive stomachs? For IBD type problems? They were on Taste of the Wild initially which they loved but she regularly threw up.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, I'll run those by her when I pick up the new bag of food (I'll keep them on the Iams for a little longer to make sure it is helping).

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I just bought a bag of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet food which I'll try. I got the Pea and Chicken formula. I'll slowly start mixing that in to see how she goes with that.

I just hate the ingredient list for the Prescription Diet stuff, I REALLY want to find something that's got better ingredients that she tolerates as well.

Just one question - the main ingredient is peas, not meat, so I guess it's lower in protein. How bad is that for a cat long term? Should I supplement with other proteins?

This is the info:

Peas, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Pea Protein, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Choline Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Natural Tocopherols, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein \t30.0% minimum
Crude Fat \t12.0% minimum
Crude Fiber \t8.0% maximum
Moisture \t10.0% maximum
Taurine \t0.1% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* \t0.5% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* \t3.0% minimum

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Peas IMHO are not an ideal main protein ... Kinda like having corn gluten as the main protien...

Peas, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Pea ProteinMore pea ... makes me think alot of protein is coming from peas and not meat, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseedhard to digest , Natural Flavor, Choline Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Natural Tocopherols, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein 30.0% minimumThis is ideal for a older cat
Crude Fat 12.0% minimumthis is on very low end of normal IMHO too low unless aiming for wt loss
Crude Fiber 8.0% maximumthis IMHO means less digestable which may be harder on the GI tract
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Taurine 0.1% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 3.0% minimum

Can you supplement with canned>>?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Just one question - the main ingredient is peas, not meat, so I guess it's lower in protein. How bad is that for a cat long term? Should I supplement with other proteins?
I want to share my personal experience with pea as a main ingredient in cat food.

Isis had a serious sensitivity to something in manufactured cat food.
Her main symptom was loosely formed, pudding stools.
After numerous tests, various medications and probiotics, the issue did not resolve.
In desperation, I decided to try a limited ingredient diet to help find the culprit that did not agree with her.
It's first ingredient is ground pea.
http://www.royalcanin.us/adx/aspx/ad...PeaVenison.pdf

Although, pea might not be the ideal first protein in a cat formula, for now, it is working beautifully for Isis...
her stools are normal and she is thriving.

My conclusion from this experience is...
the first thing we must do when our kitties are not thriving, is get them on a food that agrees with them and does not exacerbate their peculiar health issue.
Then, when they are stable, we can look for food options that might be better suited for long term feeding and at the same time, does not empty our pocket books.

Of course, canned food is almost always a better option.

I wish you luck in your search for a food that agrees with Stumpy's needs.
Don't give up...
solutions are out there.

Stumpy

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice

We tried different lots of canned food with the same result - projectile vomit. I made her eat it slow, so she wasn't scarfing it, for whatever reason, canned food made it worse.

I will definitely start mixing in the LID - the formulas look similar - and see how it goes, thanks so much!