I hate drywall!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH does home improvement jobs on the side for extra money and if he gets behind on a job I sometimes go with him to help out. Normally it's putting in laminent floors or being a general tool holder (I don't know the first thing about this stuff!). Yesterday I went up to help him do dry wall. He did all the mudding and sanding, but my job was to wipe down the walls and ceiling to get rid of any drywall dust so he could put on the second coat of mudding. Sounds easy, right? WRONG!!

My arms and thighs are SO sore today. I didn't realize just how out of shape I am from working a desk job for 5 years. Wiping the ceiling was extra fun...I hate ladders anyway and it was not fun bending over backwards, holding on for dear life, picturing me tumbling backwards and cracking my skull open. Oh, I also got to scrub the times in the bathroom so DH could put grout sealer (?) on them.

I definitely has more respect for my husband and will understand the next time he comes home and says his body hurts! I swear, a decent days work would kill me.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love home repairs!

The first ever home building thing I ever did was shingling a garage when I was 12 years old. My Mom and her Common-law Husband had a house built. He built an attached garage after we moved in. When it came to shingling I wanted to help. He laid the first tile at the peak and showed me how to lay the next ones. After watching me do a few he left me to it. I shingled the whole garage all by myself!

Back when I was living with my brother and his now ex-wife, they had purchased an older home that required a whole lot of repairs.

My Sister-In-Law and I learned a whole lot! He showed us what needed to be done and a demonstration on how to do it and then we were off! As a result I've laid down carpet, stretched it and seamed it. I've done drywall including taping which I absolutely loved. Though I didn't like the clean up. And my Sister-In-Law and I built an entire pantry in the kitchen.

I can also stucco the outside of a house and build a sidewalk!

Funny that I'm still single!!!

But I agree, it's back breaking work! But it's very rewarding.
If my health were better I'd be out helping build homes for Habitat for Humanity.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drywalling is one of the very very few things that we will contract out. Not the actual drywalling but the taping/mudding/sanding..... can't stand it.

I bet you're hurting in muscles you didn't know you had

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, you want to be my husband's new assistant??
Honestly, I can understand why he loves it. He even admitted to me that this was the monatous part of the job and it's different if you start from nothing and end up with something and see it through from beginning to end. I love doing things like that around OUR house. But, that's different because it's ours. And, I didn't get PAID for this (DH says I will be paid in trade....ok, clean the litter boxes!
)

I just honestly didn't understand how hard it was to do that work! I gave DH a back rub tonight because I finally understand.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Drywalling is one of the very very few things that we will contract out. Not the actual drywalling but the taping/mudding/sanding..... can't stand it.

I bet you're hurting in muscles you didn't know you had
OMG, the last time I hurt this bad was when I went skiing.....years ago! It was actually fascinating watching him mud. He was so sure of himself and knew exactly what he was doing. I was very impressed! I mean, I've seen his work after it was done, but I've never actually watched him do it before except to patch up holes here and that was in our old house.

LOL, at one point, after he cleaned off both huge putty knives, he started twirling them in his hands....he said "You think Tom Cruise is good with bottles? Watch me with putty knives"!
Men, gotta love em!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

LOL, at one point, after he cleaned off both huge putty knives, he started twirling them in his hands....he said "You think Tom Cruise is good with bottles? Watch me with putty knives"!
Men, gotta love em!
That is a great mental image

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

That is a great mental image
Yeah!
It was a great tension breaker because at that point I was glaring at him while I moved the ladder/scaffold thing to wipe down more of the ceiling. I didn't know what I got myself into when I said I would come up and help. But, it was all good. At the end, we both just collapsed. Of course, he spent 5 hours putting in steps for on a porch before this, so he was double exhausted. I honestly don't see how he does it. He crashed a little after 10 (I got home from work at 9:50) and I would give him another back rub, but I don't want to wake him up, and I don't know if I can do it right now. But he's the best!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't resist a post called "I hate drywall!". I hate anything to do with home repairs, but I can remember the drywall with amazing clarity. Dust, dust everywhere! And not just ordinary dust, fine powder dust in astonishing amounts. I feel your pain....

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

DH does home improvement jobs on the side for extra money and if he gets behind on a job I sometimes go with him to help out. Normally it's putting in laminent floors or being a general tool holder (I don't know the first thing about this stuff!). Yesterday I went up to help him do dry wall. He did all the mudding and sanding, but my job was to wipe down the walls and ceiling to get rid of any drywall dust so he could put on the second coat of mudding. Sounds easy, right? WRONG!!

My arms and thighs are SO sore today. I didn't realize just how out of shape I am from working a desk job for 5 years. Wiping the ceiling was extra fun...I hate ladders anyway and it was not fun bending over backwards, holding on for dear life, picturing me tumbling backwards and cracking my skull open. Oh, I also got to scrub the times in the bathroom so DH could put grout sealer (?) on them.

I definitely has more respect for my husband and will understand the next time he comes home and says his body hurts! I swear, a decent days work would kill me.
NO NO NO! You are doing it all wrong You need a long-handle floor mop (aluminum) with a microfiber velcro pad. It's light weight, and you don't need a ladder.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

NO NO NO! You are doing it all wrong You need a long-handle floor mop (aluminum) with a microfiber velcro pad. It's light weight, and you don't need a ladder.
NOW you tell me!!!
That makes a lot more sense....of course, my boss IS a man, so that explains it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've drywalled our 24 x 25 foot family room and all the closets in our house. Plus our master bathroom (including the ceiling) and other spots in the house.

The sanding is a pain I admit but using a sander attached to a broom handle is a must.
Plus a very slightly damp sponge and a light to look for imperfections.

My neck and shoulders ache in sympathy for your body!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

We've drywalled our 24 x 25 foot family room and all the closets in our house. Plus our master bathroom (including the ceiling) and other spots in the house.

The sanding is a pain I admit but using a sander attached to a broom handle is a must.
Plus a very slightly damp sponge and a light to look for imperfections.

My neck and shoulders ache in sympathy for your body!!
Well, DH has a sander that attaches to the vaccuum...shop vac? Plus he goes over EVERY wall seam by seam...I was starting to get jealous because he was giving the walls more tender attention then he normally gives me! (LOL, just kidding, I just told him that to get a reaction).

I just understand a lot more of what DH does every day. My body is slowly recovering, but he went back to tonight and did more.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're reno-ing our entire house. There has been nothing but drywall in my hallway upstairs, half mudded and a HUGE hole in the ceiling covered with plastic; for 6 months because someone ran out of steam! Everyday I tell him "you NEED to finish the hallway" after 6 months I'm loosing my voice & patients

So my husband in on the same wave length, he HATES drywall.

Hubby's an electrician and he's super handy so it's usually really nice having him around to fix things up

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I saw the title to this thread I thought it would be a post about how crappy drywall is. As in it's so paper thin that you can hear every little thing through it. I can hear people burping and snoring through drywall it's so thin. For all the trouble it is to install it, you'd at least think it would be a little more soundproof. Drywall is nothing but garbage to me. The sad thing is that's what most houses are built with. And don't even get me started about houses that have hollow wooden doors in the bedrooms and bathrooms. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. Grrr. People are morons.

Ok, I'm finished ranting. Sorry.